44 coaches online • Server time: 16:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 09:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

I'm sure it's been discussed before but I can't see much about it... Given the age of FUMBBL and the vast number of teams, it's ever harder to come up with decent names which aren't already taken - a huge number of which are from now retired teams (or players).

Would it not be an idea to free up names from defunct teams after a few years? I'm sure it's too much hassle to implement for various reasons, just frustrating seeing "Already taken" endlessly, and when checking it'll be from a team retired 10 years+ ago!
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a lot of workrounds available in the short term.

add a double space or a space at the beginning of the name....add a 'the' at the start....suffix them with 2020....use invisible characters....
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

From recollection "The" is banned at the start of team names.

It would be great but it would also be another feature someone has to write and maintain.

Maybe it should be the 20 year anniversary add "[retired]" to the end of all teams retired over ten years.

Lyracian.
Java

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

you can use a greek letter in place of lowercase o

indistinguishable

There is also a similarly useful capital T and some other tricks

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Lyracian wrote:
From recollection "The" is banned at the start of team names.

"Da" isn't.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers for the info! My account is about 20 years old now but after a couple of decades off, give or take, am trying to keep up! Very Happy Half my old teams stuck in Limbo transfer divisions and such so would have been nice to able to properly "retire" them and the names etc.

Retiring teams just wiping them out would make sense, with the option of a personal "HoF" if you wanted to hold the team (and name) in history. Can't really ask anything of the guys running the site all these years for nothing though!
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure Christer's already addressed this in the past, and it's not going to change

I think the reason was because the old matches still exist
If you binned a team name, what happens to the replay and report?

But yea, either use non-standard characters creatively as decoration, or to 'cheat' with look-alikes etc
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 16:43
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
I think the reason was because the old matches still exist
If you binned a team name, what happens to the replay and report?

Nah, as of the switch to FFB, there is no technical requirement to keep team names unique. Database integrity does not rely on names being unchanged or unique.

It's partially a user interface thing, where searching for teams becomes more complex if there are multiple teams with the same team, but the primary reason is for thematic purposes.

This is something I evaluate from time to time to see if it makes sense to reduce these restrictions somewhat. For now, though, I have nothing to announce in this context.
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the feedback Christer, good to hear and great job after all these years keeping it going! Smile I agree it could be a nightmare if you had dozens of "New Orc Giants" etc to look through...

After just playing a match where my fresh elves could not even pick up the ball while a Khorne team didn't fumble once I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing in the first place! Very Happy
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2021 - 19:52
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Jimrod wrote:

After just playing a match where my fresh elves could not even pick up the ball while a Khorne team didn't fumble once I'm starting to remember why I stopped playing in the first place! Very Happy

Just be more awesome, there, easy.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Apart from the technical questions discussed in this thread what about the ethical question about copying other coaches team names? I also have the problem of often finding a good team name already taken. If it belongs to an active team I think it feels wrong to copy it and add some special letter. But when the original team was retired 10 years ago or the coach was last seen online 17 years ago is it OK then?
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Song names and film titles aren't subject to copyright, why should team names be any different? Don't use the exact same logo.

But yes, something must be done about this. Like, maybe if you automatically delete retired teams with no games played, and if you retire a team with fewer than 30 games and won no tournaments with them, the team retains its name (maybe in italics or something) but surrenders rights to the name, and the team will appear in italics in searches, to avoid confusion. Retired teams with 30 games, or with a tourney trophy, carry their names on perpetually, and those are still taken and unavailable to others.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

If it is a famous team with a long history and/or a full trophy cabinet then I think that you should show it due respect.

If the team has done nothing... Steal the name and make it a name to be proud of.

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

my personnal twist for running several Bones'Galore , I used Bones'Galore Wanabees .
Works with Copycats / Fanboys / Sons / etc.... Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2022 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Really since the technical issue isn't the reason, I think adding "Retired - {Date}" to the end of the team's name would make sense and allow reuse of retired team names.
 Jump to: