44 coaches online • Server time: 09:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2021 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm taking Goblins in the shiny new 2020 edition of SWL. If you're not in the SWL, you should consider it, it's really great.

All teams start with 1,100 TV, no development before the first season. Seasons are implemented, but there's nothing to worry about until the 5th season. In the last era, I played 69 games with the Singed Poor Scoundrels, so I like to kid myself I knew a thing or two about playing goblins in the old league set up.

This time round, a few changes to my approach:

To keep my TV low and ensure I get inducements, I'm keeping a compact roster. Previously I'd tried to build fast, but that wasn't the most optimal approach. This time around I'm aiming to be at least 150k smaller than any of my opponents, and thus ensure three bribes per match.

Trolls and the 'Ooligan pick skills, goblins and secret weapons never skill up. The 'Ooligan gets Sneaky Git and then hopefully never gets any SPP ever again, because how do you improve on perfection? The pogoer is probably our best non-troll player and the de facto ball carrier, so he randoms some agility skills and then tries for Block and / or Sure Hands.

If there's enough budget (I start the season with 115k in the treasury) then it's tempting to fish for a random skill on Auntyshape as soon as possible, hoping for a cheap Guard or Strong Arm. If she misses that, sack and replace.

Boyshape is groomed for greatness: like his father Manshape, the ideal build is Block-Pro-Tackle-Dodge, but let's see how he gets along with it.

All the SPP we gain on goblins we bank, in the hope of some fun skill rolls after the
    first match of next season.

The Doom Diver is a regrettable purchase, because I thought he was as good as he used to be, so Geoff From Above will be cut and replaced with a regular goblin as necessary.

If we lose a troll for a match, we probably have enough for a merc troll. Merc trolls are just as good as regular trolls used to be (since Loner got better for regular trolls this time around, we'll miss that Loner 3+, but it's no big deal)

Following these principles means we could effectively be running a rookie goblin team for seven consecutive matches. The good thing about this is it means lots of bribery, and if we're lucky, there's not too much tackle to worry about in the first season. Hopefully publishing my evil scheme here doesn't confound it...

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2021 - 05:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with all your plans here. I would maybe think about going for the random General skills on a 6spp goblin. Being goblin means they might not survive to next season and a lucky roll like block, dp or wrestle is work the 20tv by far
mekutata

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2021 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd add the Looney to the list of players who *may* skill up. Dodge or Dirty Player are both worth it even if they get banned.
Also Fanatics with Mighty Blow have more impact than without.
But in general Gobbos are one of the teams that could do well with banking SPP.

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2021 - 06:55 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
I'd add the Looney to the list of players who *may* skill up. Dodge or Dirty Player are both worth it even if they get banned.
Also Fanatics with Mighty Blow have more impact than without.
But in general Gobbos are one of the teams that could do well with banking SPP.

I think chain saw is a special action and mighty blow only counts for "Knocked Down as the result of
a Block action" so Chainsaw Attack would not be affected.

Also it is so easy to lose a Looney to rolling a 1 on the chainsaw check I think any investment is too much in leveling him up. I'd consider a stat up or Sneaky Git

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2021 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro Looney, to reroll those failed chainsaw rolls
tussock

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2021 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Stats are pretty good on a Pogo, but so is block/surehand. Maybe worth a gamble on random G at 6spp, as there's a few skills could be gold you wouldn't normally take on him.

Doom Diver is still good for a TTM if you have opposing players down a few, as he's always in range at least, but yeah, big drop on what he used to be.

Random G on linos has been good to me, dauntless and kick so far, which is very nice.

Rookie saw and bomma I think, could be worth replacing the MNG now and then, especially on the bomma, MB fanatic at 6spp.

And yeah, one mega-troll with like 6 dubs, or four dubs and MA 6. Awesome.

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2021 - 12:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I think my chainsaw is going to want sneaky git.
Doom diver is trash, get rid.
B&C rarely skill, mb is good, block is great.
'Ooligan is god tier. SG chosen instantly then done, agreed.
Build a troll, Bank on other in case build a troll diies, makes perfect sense.
i might not pgog. i sometimes dont.
I might sg a gob
holding most for cheap randoms season 2 makes sense.

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2021 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

"holding most for cheap randoms season 2 makes sense."

Does it though? they wont be cheap once you are spending 20k more to keep the player.

I guess you will get a small saving on secondaries if you get good ones. but you will likely be firing 60k goblins if you roll crap skills
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2021 - 18:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

yes and hence both staying low in some ways and having an ace cheap secondary and can dd primaries on top instantly of very son to sculpt him, worth trying for sure.

Might even roll some for agility.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2022 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I've taken sure feet on the fanatic a few times and never regretted it. You get more out of him and also helps to get out of positions were opponents can get a 1d or 2d. Block is nice but the change from ma3 to an effective ma5 is far more useful I've found. You can set him up in the middle and then move him to either flank in a single turn
Kinks

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2022 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
IB&C rarely skill, mb is good, block is great.

I've been wondering if brawler may turn out to be more useful than block in some cases. Obviously 20k cheaper, easier to get. But also, if you hit your own players, who usually don't have block or perhaps even an opposing wrestler, brawler would be more useful.

Likewise, if you are making a 3DB vs someone with block, brawler is more likely to bring them down.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2022 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

For Inducements, the new Bomma Dribblesnot is amazing value for 50k. With PA3+ and accurate, his bombs are amazingly lethal, and his special ability is great for aiming for the ballcarrier and knowing they can't throw it back.

I induced him last night for orcs in my TT league and he was super. I will take him with goblins whenever I can.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2022 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

So, I should update on progress:

first season with my new goblins was execrable. Put some of that down to overblown expectations (I'd already got 70 league games in with my previous goblin team, surely I would get some good results), some down to being continually surprised that bombers were now PA 4+ (in 2016 I had an AG4 bomber, so this was a substantial drop in reliability that I hadn't internalised), and poor team selection (as mentioned by Purplechest, the Doom Diver is trash now). And, er... reasons.

Last game of the first season, getting ready to sack Auntyshape as she hadn't done anything exciting, I took a random secondary skill and rolled Pro. With Boyshape getting to 12 SPP early in the second season and getting Block, the two trolls are nearly perfect (and Auntyshape is almost perfectly TV-efficient - would have been nice if she'd rolled Guard rather than Juggernaut for her first skill, but that's not the end of the world).

Second season: SWL doesn't implement redraft fees until players are going into their 4th season, so there's been no cost to retain players, but with a -ST ooligan and the rest of the team showing little progression, I sacked and rehired everyone apart from the trolls and a Safe Pair of Hands goblin (not had any use for him yet, but his time will come). That left me with a very cheap team, so I could induce Morg for the first two games.

Morg makes the team an absolute menace. In total, that means you can have 5 players dishing out the equivalent of MB+1 per turn - the bomb, the ooligan, the trolls and Morg. Morg didn't do as much damage as his reputation suggests (a cas per game so far) but the greater value is the threat of Morg - teams have had to use their apothecary early, and then still suffer a hammering for the rest of the game (first match, Morg killed a Tackle/MB blitzer, who was apo'd successfully, but out for the rest of the drive, and then the second thing I did that turn was to send a Block treeman to the woodchipper via a bomb). Coming up next are wood elves, where I may come unstuck - do I Morg it again? Take bribes? Bomma is also looking tasty, especially now most elves are crap at throwing the bomb away if they catch it...

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2022 - 03:54 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
For Inducements, the new Bomma Dribblesnot is amazing value for 50k. With PA3+ and accurate, his bombs are amazingly lethal, and his special ability is great for aiming for the ballcarrier and knowing they can't throw it back.

I induced him last night for orcs in my TT league and he was super. I will take him with goblins whenever I can.

Is Bomma in Competitive? I played a game with my black orcs today down 125 Tv and couldn’t see him on the inducement list
mekutata

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2022 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion26 wrote:
PeteW wrote:

Is Bomma in Competitive? I played a game with my black orcs today down 125 Tv and couldn’t see him on the inducement list

He will probably come soon. PeteW mentioned that he played TT (tabletop).