53 coaches online • Server time: 23:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2022 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

4 Ulfs but no G access. Even on Secondary
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2022 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

While true, strenght access is vital for norse. You are a glass cannon and you live and win or die and lose depending on how hard you can hit. Access to Mighty Blow is of paramount importance (considering that even your big guy doesn't have it)

Sure? I'm not arguing to take strength access away. I'm just saying Zerkers have become very uninteresting on the roster, which is a shame, and a rework of some kind would be more interesting. Though these days, I think Ulfs have become the superior MBs, and Zerkers have become weird av7 guarders, if one takes them.
tussock

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2022 - 02:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Norse are a great team as is, work well, good fun, much Yhetee, don't even win too much, or too little. And everyone's happy enough to play against 'em, like, AV 7 and bashy, go for it.

Can even just put Frenzy on all your linos and be better Khorne. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2022 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Random MVP is a bit of an issue for Norse in 2020 - it makes skilling those Ulfs hard. MB feels a long way away where a couple of zerkers can potentially get it a lot quicker.

Don't feel any major changes should happen to the roster though. Thrower is almost redundant but I've seen people use them.

Nice thing about Norse is there are a load of different starting builds.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2022 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

A good reason for Thrower is he costs +20k over a basic Lineman, but can take Leader for another 20k
Rerolls are 60k, so it saves you 20k on your team cost (or saves 30k if you rolled it random)
Plus you then get his PA3+ and Pass skill for free, which might be useful on the rare occasion.

A good reason for Catcher is the MV7 and Agility access
He costs +40k over a basic lineman, but 20k of that could be counted as the +MV
So if you use him for every touchdown, you can quite quickly get Dodge / Sidestep
You can also get him +MV +MV and get to MV9, and have a good one-turn option

I was previously thinking to take random G skills on the Linemen for 10k.. but actually for the same price you could fix Norse's primary weakness and take +AV instead

I think the Norse are currently very strong like this:

2 Ulfs with Block+MB
1 Catcher with blodgestep and MV9
1 Thrower with Leader
8 Linemen, with either random G skills or +AV
1 Reroll

You can fit all that into 1000-1100k which is kinda amazing. Don't need the yeety or the berserkers
sebco

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2022 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
don't need the yeety or the berserkers

You can't say that. Everybody needs a yheeti. Very Happy

That topic is even borned thanks to a yheeti. Wink

PS : that's first a joke but I seriously like to play norse with a yheeti as norses need to hit more than they are hitted and, against heavy armoured teams, they generally need a yheeti to do that (even if he's less reliable than other norse players)

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2022 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

1 Reroll

18 SPP on a Linemen to get +AV is a lot though. Assuming you have seasons (I know they are not implement here yet) not sure they will get that in a dozen games...

Lyracian.
HouseT

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Lyracian wrote:
Sp00keh wrote:

1 Reroll

18 SPP on a Linemen to get +AV is a lot though. Assuming you have seasons (I know they are not implement here yet) not sure they will get that in a dozen games...

Yeah. I'd never give a Norse Lineman +AV in 2020 rules. Maybe not ever. They know what they signed up for.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2022 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Would you give a Human lineman Block though?

Norse Lineman with Block and AV9+ costs 60k
Human Lineman with Block and AV9+ costs 70k with a selected skill (or 60k if it was a random roll)

It seems good value to me and somewhat fixes Norse's weakness
I know it's a lot of SPP but the current ruleset allows endless farming
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2022 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

Norse Lineman with Block and AV9+ costs 60k
Human Lineman with Block and AV9+ costs 70k with a selected skill (or 60k if it was a random roll)

It seems good value to me and somewhat fixes Norse's weakness
I know it's a lot of SPP but the current ruleset allows endless farming

I think the counter is much simpler - it's not feasable to play a good game while also trying to plan around getting 18 SPPs on Norse Linos. They're AV7, and they should be shielding your more valuable players. Getting a Norse Lino to 18SPP should never be a part of your plan. If endless farming is the idea, you'd probably be better off trying to keep rolling Random Strength skills and fire anyone who doesn't get Guard (maybe Mighty Blow?).
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2022 - 12:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

I'd try to get a random General skill on Human Linemen, either Block, Wrestle, Kick, Dirty Player, cycling them if a bad skill is rolled.
I could choose either Block/Wrestle on 2-3 Linemen early in the team building, but eventually, with enough gold to spend, I would replace them with Linemen who rolled Block/Wrestle randomly.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2022 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Right

So if Human Lineman with Block and AV9+ is worth 60k, then a Norse Lineman with Block and AV9+ is also worth 60k

And you don't have cycle players to get lucky on the roll, you have to save up SPP instead. This is what I was getting at in my earlier post
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2022 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Saving up to get a +stat on Linemen will take a while, but then so does cycling players to get Block

Taking this idea a step further, and going +AV +AV on Norse Linemen to get AV10+ and Block

Nearest comparison might be an Orc Lineman who'd need +MV and +Block to be comparable

Target = MV6, AV10+, Block:
Orc +MV and random rolled Block = 50+20+10 = 80k
Norse +AV +AV = 50+10+10 = 70k

This is admittedly a bit silly, but it's not silly to cycle Orc Linemen for 10k Block.
And then once they have that, it's not that silly to go +MV on them
The point of the comparison is to show that Norse Linemen are good value, and so is +AV

Given unlimited chance to farm SPP, a Norse team could feasibly have Block and AV10+ on every player for less than 1200k which I think is pretty strong. A bit like Dwarves but with MV6
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2022 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

As an aside, about Norse Linemen: I would not bother to save 18 SPPs on a Norse Lineman in order to get +AV.
It's not a matter of TV, the reason is that saving 18 SPPs on a Norse Lineman is not worth the effort.
On Norse Linemen I would either get random G skills at 3 SPPs or wait till 6 SPPs and roll a random S skill.
I would never ever wait till 18 SPPs to get a stat on a Norse Lineman with mediocre statline.

About Orc Linemen: I would not try to boost their MA/AV. They are cheap and disposable fodder, I want my skills and SPPs on my positionals only.
A Lineorc with MA 6 is not that good. MA 5 is under average, so boosting such a MA by spending 18 SPPs just to have a mediocre MA 6 Lineorc is not worth the effort. Moreover, Linemen mostly are used to tie Big Guy and placed on LOS, boosting their speed is not game changing.
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2022 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the question is not wether taking AV on a Norse lino is good/bad. The question is, if there are better options. If there are better options, one "should" not go for the AV.
 Jump to: