26 coaches online • Server time: 05:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kondor

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2022 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been musing about this for a while. As long as we are in an environment without seasons and without an automatic scheduler, where is the downside to saving up for stats? Sure, there are some skills you want first but stay with me for a second. I will throw out a couple of examples.

High elves. Sure you want Block and Dodge, but once your player has that, why get any more skills. They only nominally make your team better. Hang out and play low TV games until that blitzer or catcher can roll for a random stat. Now your team is much better.

Look at your orcs. Ok the big fellas need block and guard. Maybe you want a blodging goblin. Otherwise, why not wait until you get stats to beef up the already beefy boys.

This holds true among most of the teams. Get your basic skills. Block and dodge if they are primary skills, and then hold tight.

Big guys wait for block.

Just get comfortable playing low TV games. Block and dodge will keep some of your guys healthy until they can get those stats. Maybe we can bring back the stat freaks until the site goes to seasons. The primary argument against this is that it takes longer to accumulate enough SPP. No restriction on that right now.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2022 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

After Block and Dodge I want Side Step on my HE Blitzers and Catchers.
Just saying.
A HE Catcher should have Block, Dodge, Side Step as core skills, then, ideally, +MA, +AG and another skill (Sprint, for example, for 1TTD).
The Blitzers are better with stats but they are not as important as for the Catcher.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %24, %2022 - %23:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
PeteW

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2022 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing wood elves and just pimping the WD to get stat ups. Obvs the first one was PA... so I took MB. Next was AG+ yay!

I will build 2020 stat-monsters.

Not sure if it is optimal. But it is fun!

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:

I will build 2020 stat-monsters.

Build them up then clone them to O[L]C before seasons hit. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought seasons would come quickly. Now I am starting to think it may be quite some time before we see them.

Isn't the game scheduler next on the list of improvements?
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I would expect the scheduler to wait for seasons. It is the only reason I see for having seasons.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 07:46 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
I would expect the scheduler to wait for seasons. It is the only reason I see for having seasons.

I would think the scheduler would come first. Have something like black box and ranked in one division. Make sure the scheduler is working as you want it to.

When you start hearing people complain about the TV gaps, then you implement seasons. Make it available in league for a few months first to work out any hiccups.

Then, finally, grandfathered teams from the old ranked and black box can convert over.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

In theory, we already have the Box scheduler, but just for BB2016 ruleset.
If 4 coaches activated we could play in the Box.
It's better to play with BB2016 rules and an automatic scheduler than with BB2020 rules and the GF. Apart from Clawmb and Kick-Off table nerfs, BB2020 rules suck.
Very Happy
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Java did a good blog 'How To Train Your Legend' https://fumbbl.com/p/blog&c=Java&id=24015

I've played quite a bit of [C] now and do have joined the +Mv +MV carrier club https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=14594060. It is easily achievable within 15 games if your team has only one main ball carrier.

Looking forward to Scheduler but meanwhile really enjoying BB2020 ruleset, and the new stars and teams.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, +MA +MA ball carriers are easily achievable within 15 games (and +MA is underpriced) and that makes me wonder whether 15 games is a too long Season span.
At first I thought that 15 games could have been perfect, because it matches the Trophy run, but I'm starting to think that it could be too long, bash teams with almost granted MA 8 ball carriers are better than they should be.
Garion26

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Yes, +MA +MA ball carriers are easily achievable within 15 games (and +MA is underpriced) and that makes me wonder whether 15 games is a too long Season span.
At first I thought that 15 games could have been perfect, because it matches the Trophy run, but I'm starting to think that it could be too long, bash teams with almost granted MA 8 ball carriers are better than they should be.

Isn't that 38 or so SPP? (and two die rolls ending on + move)

So a TD per game for 12 games on one player out of 15.
Average TD total per game is likely around 1
(if your win rate is far north of 50% you may be able to push that up)

Feels like the rest of the team isn't going to develop if you are pushing almost all your 'targetable' SPP into one player.

Most of those bash teams want block and guard on multiple players during early development-casualty SPP alone aren't usually enough.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

A 2-1 grind is not uncommon for a bash team, so 2 TDs per game is not that hard to achieve. Maybe not in every game, but in some it's possible, that means fewer than 12 games.
If we consider the average between 1 and 2 TDs scored per game, i.e. 1.5 TDs, that means 4.5 SPPs per game earned on average by a ball carrier (not counting the odd SPP farming pass and random MVP), so 38/4.5 = 8.44 games to get 2 stat rolls. It's quite easily achievable in fewer than 12 games.
Garion26

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
A 2-1 grind is not uncommon for a bash team, so 2 TDs per game is not that hard to achieve. Maybe not in every game, but in some it's possible, that means fewer than 12 games.
If we consider the average between 1 and 2 TDs scored per game, i.e. 1.5 TDs, that means 4.5 SPPs per game earned on average by a ball carrier (not counting the odd SPP farming pass and random MVP), so 38/4.5 = 8.44 games to get 2 stat rolls. It's quite easily achievable in fewer than 12 games.

Sure but sometimes you are going to lose some without scoring (particularly unskilled bash teams) which has to be in the math, or you can score only by handing off to someone other then your primary scorer, and sometimes your scorer is going to get MNG or killed. By definition the win rate in this kind of two player game is on average 50% across the player base. In a loss 0 or 1 TD is very likely. 0-1, 1-2 are probably the most common two blood bowl score results (with 2-0 third). Some people might average 1.5 Tds a game but that's only someone who wins most of their games - the other side of the game is likely 0 or 1 TD. Early bash barring dwarves and zons isn't usually one of the high win rate teams.

I agree it's definitely achievable in less games- if you tend to win disproportionately then it's more likely.

But even if achievable in the first 8 games all TDs on one player seems like it wouldn't be the best way to develop a team that usually is desperate for block/guard/might blow and possibly sure hands.

You are a very good player Matt who tends to run a lot of games with your teams (when I've seen you in C matchmaker it's noticeable) your experience might not be typical.

Last edited by Garion26 on %b %25, %2022 - %18:%Apr; edited 3 times in total
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The example linked I gave the player Sure Hands first, and they did allow them to take all the touchdowns. My view is the Orc team can carry one baller. In fact it works better the other way: one baller is enough to carry the team.

Definitely agree that a coach winning disproportionately will get there much quicker; and Stat-ups will become much more viable. So more skilled coaches, or ones who focus on picking easy match-ups.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I would think that it is a terrible pain to try and maintain the most up-to-date digital version of this game at a time when the company is releasing new star players and silliness like 'beer boars' every few weeks. We all got the BBowl love from GW we thought we wanted back in 2013.. but it sure puts a lot on FUMBBL's plate. New skills and new bugs in the client surely must slow progress towards things like a scheduler that incorporates the redraft mechanic.

As to the OP, my main hesitation for 'saving up' for stats is that there is a good chance my (human/skaven/troll/ogre) player is badly niggled or taking a dirt nap before he is ready for stardom, especially if the first stat roll is PA instead of the AG I wanted.

Jump to: