39 coaches online • Server time: 12:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been a bit absent but would just like to confirm I haven't missed anything important. Are we still in the perpetual state of:

A) MattDakka wants to stick to playing his core, top tier teams only.
B) Matt does not want to take part in any competition that encourages diversity of teams coaches use.
C) Matt would like FUMBBL to somehow encourage others to use a diverse range of teams for him to play against, instead of dwarves and orks.
D) At no point should Matt be at a possible disadvantage, in that his righteous 'scheduler only' teams should never have to face a team tainted by Gamefinder.
E) Matt would somehow like his coach rank identified as 'meaningful' or 'well deserved', provided he has not been robbed of CR by Nuffle's goblins recently. At that point his CR number should probably turn purple, to let everyone know he has been diced recently.

Did I miss anything? I missed Matt.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2022 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh Murker. Lets be fair. Matt does use about everything except stunties so point A is not valid. Give the guy a break where he deserves it.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2022 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

A) Honestly, without the Season Re-Draft I would play all the tier 1 and 2 races, in the past ruleset I did it because, due to lack of Season Re-Draft, you could build a roster even if it started bad, such as Chaos, Nurgle, Vampires. Playing Vampires or Khorne for 15 games then having to fire some players is frustrating in my book. I don't play tier 3 teams anymore because I play for the CR and in my book there is no adequate CR risk/reward compared to the effort. By the way, I'm playing HE and EU, which are not exactly top tier 1 races. I started to play BB2020 with "safe races" such as Orcs, Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs to get my feet wet and get accustomed to the new rules, Kick-Off Table, skill-ups etc., then I felt more confident and started to play Elves, although I'm waiting for my Box teams to migrate to Competitive (I'm lazy and I don't like to find new team names Razz ).

B) I don't need to take part to the Trophy because I already like variety. I don't like to play only few races, unless it gets terribly frustrating due to Season Re-Draft (because it cuts off the players' development), then I could stick to playing the races strong in this meta.

C) Since I like variety yes, I expect to face various opponent races, not just the few strong races in a certain meta/ruleset.

D) Yes, I would love to play in Competitive division only with a scheduler, and everybody should use a scheduler (ideally with the requirement of activating at least 3 kinds of teams, agile, bash, hybrid), rankings would be more accurate. GF should be allowed only for League.

E) With an automatic scheduler my ranking would be meaningful and well deserved, so E is a consequence of D.

If you want to know further details just send me a PM, please don't derail the thread.
Smile

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %26, %2022 - %00:%Apr; edited 3 times in total
BigChiefSittingDuck

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2022 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes that isn't really fair Murker. Matt makes perfectly valid points and it was not him who produced this ridiculous new ruleset. I'm also concerned about balance when ready-to-roll bash sides like dwarfs and orcs are heavily favoured by the new rules and get to stay in their sweet-spot to boot. It IS tedious when you see so many of those sides on the gamefinder, and I think all coaches would prefer to see more diversity (even those coaches with aforementioned bash, they must get bored of it too!).

I wish they had not seen fit to change the rules so drastically when they had evolved to a pretty good place after three decades, we had pretty good balance before... it feels like they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.
PainState

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2022 - 01:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hold on!!!! Whoa whoa whoa!!!! BB2020 is the perfect rule set for TT blood bowl, perpetual roster and the normal game store league.

Is any of that FUMBBl? Nope.

Let me restate... is that FUMBBl in the r/c/b leagues?

It is in league. You can find some very fine BB2020 leagues to joiin.

Last edited by PainState on %b %26, %2022 - %01:%Apr; edited 2 times in total
PainState

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2022 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Now let’s go back to the OP and his thoughts
Should you hold out on taking a skill and going for a +stat. I quess that is what set this whole thing off
I would say yes, it is. Part of team building. Yet if we restrict teams to such a finite TV range, then no. It makes no sense.

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2022 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
Get your basic skills. Block and dodge if they are primary skills, and then hold tight.

Big guys wait for block.

I agree with original post. So I looked at my [C] teams to decide if I'd actually followed that or not? From 14 races played I have 4 with a significant number of games:

Orcs - Sure Hands then stats for the blitzer. Block Troll? Not yet no, I'm undecided if Orcs actually need a Troll

Undead - Block Mummies? yes please! took 8 games. No stats yet because Ghouls have (i)died (ii)taken randoms for the fun of testing the new rules

Underworld - no stats, no doubles. Blitzer & Gutter Runner have such wide skills access that they only need Primary skills. Gratuitous Legend link: https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=14363556

Necromantic Horror: no stats in 15 games. But similar to UW they have a fantastic range of Skills access across the different positionals. Also a few Ghouls have died setting back the progression.

In summary: my aim now is the carrier gets basics and waits for stats. Big Guy waits for block. This already pays back in Season One (first 15 games) and you can rehire that lovely +stat carrier for Season Two.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2022 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I did the same, i.e. got the basic skills on ball carriers and then pimped them with stats and a Secondary skill or two sometimes.

- Orcs: (tried to play with the Thrower and the Goblin as ball carriers, it didn't work) Blitzer got Sure Hands, Dodge, then +2 MA and Break Tackle (no +AG yet);

- Wood Elves: a Catcher got Block, Side Step, +MA. Hardly a super ball carrier, but not enough games played to get more skills. The Treeman got a random S skill. I considered Block but it's hard to get 12 SPPs on a Treeman without MVP nomination;

- High Elves: a Catcher got Block, Dodge, Side Step, Sprint. Coming next a random stat; I randomized G skills on Linemen and kept only those with Block and Kick, they hardly survive to the second skill;

- Dwarfs: Runner got Block, then + 2 MA and +1 AG; next skills could be Dodge and Side Step, the other players wait for 6 SPPs to take Guard, then MB (chosen skills, not random);

- C.Dwarfs: Bull Centaurs and Blockers took Guard and MB, a Hobgoblin is the ball carrier with Sure Hands, Block, +2 MA, Break Tackle. In the old ruleset I would have used a Bull Centaur as ball carrier, but due to Season Re-Draft, random MVP and Break Tackle change I thought a Hobgoblin would have been better (there is a huge difference between AG 2 and AG 3);

- Dark Elves: no stat-boosted player atm; I'm still undecided about using a Runner or a Blitzer as ball carrier;

- Elven Union: a Catcher has Block, Dodge, Side Step, +MA, +AG, Break Tackle. With hindsight I would swap Break Tackle with Sprint. The rest of team is unskilled apart from a Blitzer with Dodge, Frenzy, Tackle, Dauntless. Tried to randomize skills on Linemen but, even when they get a good G, such as Block or Wrestle, they get injured soon.
 Jump to: