50 coaches online • Server time: 14:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
smallman

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that blackbox is dead, gamefinder can have too many suggestions, so some new filter features would be great:

1. Can add races you never want to play vs.
2. Can add players you never want to play vs.
tussock

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 03:22 Reply with quote Back to top

New gamefinder is in the todo list.

The basic concept shown earlier was to list teams by coach, and then the top 3 or so matches for each coach's set of teams. Then you could hide a coach, or hide one of their teams and see what else is there, or change your offered teams on the fly to have a better match come up.

Nothing permanently set, but was quick to tweak and see what was available, and offered matches went in their own list in another column.

So sort of like

Your offered teams ... Coach1 and their best matched teams.
Offered matchups... Coach2 and their best matched teams.

But then Christer mentioned he had a new idea for it all, to compensate for needing the sheduler draws in there as well. But mostly likely still something along those lines, as it deals with most issues without adding negative features.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

The best Gamefinder fix is removing it and using only the Box scheduler.
Not gonna happen, but that's the truth.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

There are so many issues with Blackbox, only way to fix it is playing in a league.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

No league allows you to play as many games you want whenever you want.
A private league does not satisfy the daily urge to play 4 or more games.
Also, a private league forces to play according to a schedule, which is not always comfortable, not to mention people not showing up to the game or being late.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

There are so many issues with Blackbox, only way to fix it is playing in a league.

Blackbox would be better if you could blacklist obnoxious people, few from this thread comes to mind.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

If you could blacklist people it would not be blind MM anymore.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I know what I want therefore I am in a perfect position to decide what should be fixed and what shouldn't.
You are lucky to have me, a totally unbiased prophet, among all these heathens who don't understand what's good and what's not.
And finally, you are lucky that I will never tire of hammering my counsel over and over till you understand and accept it, or admit you're too stupid to understand it, then accept it.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:

Why is that a "fix" for gamefinder?

If you prefer Box, play it. If you prefer open, play that.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Logic suggests that you should not be able to choose/avoid games/coaches/certain races in a Competitive division.
Picking/avoiding game should be allowed in unranked League division only.
Otherwise the rankings and game balance itself can be broken.
For example, if I can pick opponents, my Amazons will never face Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs/teams with many tacklers.
Amazons would be too good if they could avoid Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs/teams with many tacklers.

At the moment it's not possible to play in the Box, otherwise I would do it.
The problem is that, by allowing a hybrid system in the same division (GF/Box) you could face teams farmed through picking.
It penalizes coaches playing through scheduler-only.

Last edited by MattDakka on Sep 27, 2021 - 18:06; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

What doesnt meet my needs is inherently flawed and shouldn't exist, lest other people find it interesting.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
MattDakka suggests that you should not be able to choose/avoid games/coaches/certain races in a Competitive division.

Fixed that for you.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Fix your signature image by the way, since you like to fix things.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Logic suggests that you should not be able to choose/avoid games/coaches/certain races in a Competitive division.
Picking/avoiding game should be allowed in unranked League division only.
Otherwise the rankings and game balance itself can be broken.
For example, if I can pick opponents, my Amazons will never face Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs/teams with many tacklers.
Amazons would be too good if they could avoid Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs/teams with many tacklers.

At the moment it's not possible to play in the Box, otherwise I would do it.
The problem is that, by allowing a hybrid system in the same division (GF/Box) you could face teams farmed through picking.
It penalizes coaches playing through scheduler-only.

Ok, I'll stop picking on you and ask an honest question: what's so wrong about having all the problems you listed? It's not like you win 10 grands as a prize or anything at the end of each month. You seem to genuinely get pissed everytime people try and have fun in a different way, and you act like the paladin of the only real competitive way to play, which means total random matchups.
But you must understand that it's an illusion. The very existence of a Blackbox algorithm to decide pairings means it's never really random, and that there's a dude (Christer) who decided a set of rules governing it.

Why do you fight so hard for something that will never (never) reach the immaculate perfection you seem to aspire to? (And that, incidentally, would be HORRIBLY broken if it could?)

In a site with a large community that still sometimes struggles to have a large enough players base to have diversification, why do you feel such a need to narrow the usability of things just to keep the one you like "as clean as possible?". That's selfish, or at the very least counterproductive.

I really don't get it. I mean, I get the "why", but I feel it matters so little that really, why fight again and again and again for it? Why not let it go?

ps1: fix your browser, my image works fine.

ps2: I tried to state things as simple as I could, and I didn't mention the evident problems with a LOT of people who enjoy the competitive aspect of game their way, and that you want to kick out just because their definition of competitive (play whatever game I like, and try my best to win) is not yours (I want to challenge myself in a truly random environment and prove I'm the best of them all). Your "hardcore or gtfo" attitude is detrimental to the site you love.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2021 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

The scheduler Christer invented is not total random but it's better to arrange games.
At least it removes the "human picking factor" from the arranging game process.
Sometimes it can arrange a bad match-up, but most of times it works greatly (I played lots of Box games, so I speak because I experienced it) and most important, it is way quicker to find a balanced game.
GF is quicker ONLY if you dumbly and blindly accepts whatever offer people throw at you, which, 99 of times, it's not good for you (otherwise they would not bother to offer it).
If people want to play for fun nothing wrong with that, they can do it in League division. I do it when I want to play vs a friend of mine.
In Competitive division (as the name itself says) the purpose is playing in a competitive way.
Not everybody knows what a good/bad offer is and on the GF he can be easily fooled (or he can offer you a bad game for him).
So, given the 2 options: GF (which requires a degree of experience of the game, knowledge of the different tiers and skills of the teams and mutual willingness of both coaches to play a balanced and fair game) and Box scheduler (which can sometimes arrange a bad game, but most of times it's really impartial) the Box scheduler is the best way.
I don't fight, I just want to wake up the awareness of the people of the site, that's it. Call it "romantic stupidity". Doing impossibile things for the love of them.
I know things will not change, but users of the site (especially newcomers) must be aware that GF is a bad system to arrange games (unless they want to pick/be picked).
 Jump to: