36 coaches online • Server time: 16:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Joost

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2024 - 08:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

my laptop screen broke and I can't use java on the work computer so I'm looking for something that is cheap (and ideally light) to use for fumbbl and stream NBA games. I don't have many other needs from it. For playing on fumbbl being able to connect a mouse is obv nice.

I found this thread: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=32192&highlight=laptop

But since it's two years old I was wondering if there's anything new out there that fits the bill. Does anyone here have any tips?
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2024 - 10:23
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Mostly any laptop will work for FUMBBL and streaming video. A couple of things you want to look for though:
- Not a Chromebook, so look for Windows 11, Linux or MacOS (although realistically it'll be a Windows machine)
- Display resolution. 1366x768 is the minimum requirement, and 1920x1080 or higher is recommended.

Additionally, I would say 8GB of RAM and SSD storage, as both of those will improve your experience immensely. If you're literally only doing FUMBBL and watching video, you don't need a lot of storage space (256GB is about as low as I'd go for a Windows machine).

As for specific machines to get, it very much depends on the stores you are comfortable buying from. I personally stay away from Acer machines. They are cheap, but I've had bad experiences with them before. ASUS, Dell, HP, Lenovo, MSI are all reasonable brands. I don't have enough experience with the various models for each of those to give a more specific recommendation though.
Joost

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2024 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Christer. I’ll find something along those lines then. I take it that tablets still don’t work?
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2024 - 12:36
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Some Windows tablets will work, but you'll need one that has full windows and not a "tablet version" of windows. Typically, though, these tablets are not what I would call cheap.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2024 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
...stay away from Acer machines.

This, I gave back my Acer nerd-book (netbook) out of frustration since it was a grilling machine, reaching temps of 80°C just idling, that's not something you'd like on your legs.
A reburbished Thinkpad Yoga can switch between laptop and tablet mode easily, and they are (usually) built to last. I was looking for something decent to do some photoshop and light 2D/3D stuff such as microstation, blender, rhinoceros while traveling so I went on the hunt for a L390 i7, the last one with upgradeable RAM. Found one at 400 eur and now it's over 1 year traveling with half the weight on the shoulder, I wish I could have found it sooner.
Models with an i5 and 8GB of ram can be found on ebay around 200, non-touch ones even less.
I think that Thinkpad > Legion in terms of build quality but maybe it's just my bias

Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2024 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Could also get a Microsoft Surface Pro, they run full windows, and old ones are cheap 2nd hand

The screen resolution is quite high though, so client will be small, in terms of physical onscreen dimensions
Amon242

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2024 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Get a corporate refurb - can get something that will meet your needs for around $200 - make sure it includes the OS

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100167908%204016&Order=1
JuicyBee

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2024 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Amon242 wrote:
Get a corporate refurb - can get something that will meet your needs for around $200 - make sure it includes the OS

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100167908%204016&Order=1

Definitely this. A used corporate Thinkpad works perfectly well and depending on the gen go for 200 - 350 eurs/dollars. Bought mine a few years back and no issues apart from a slightly worn battery, runs FUMBBL and HoMM3 fine.
Joost

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2024 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks all! I ordered a second hand lenovo
 Jump to: