84 coaches online • Server time: 21:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How should games score?
Keep 5/2/1
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
Do 3/1/0
37%
 37%  [ 15 ]
Do 2/1/0
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

DaCoach

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The White Isle League is one of the oldest running leagues on fumbbl, just completing it's 64th season.

Succesfully transited to bb2020, WIL offers coaches a chance to rise from the Regionals, over the Conferences, to battle the best of the best in the Premier Division.

At the moment the League consists of 5 divisions of 8 teams, and for the up-coming season, we can use a few new coaches.
PM me, or drop by discord if interested.

For WIL coaches, former and current, please vote on an in-coming suggestion to look at the scoring:
PeteW

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

So I'm old-WIL, but happy to add my thoughts!

I would say to keep the 1 point for a loss, but if not, make a forfeited game -1 point, so that people who play get more than people who don't (even if they lose!) Perhaps talk about 5/2/1/0 or 3/1/0/-1 or 2/1/0/-1?

I have sometimes been grumpy about a whole heap of draws not being worth much.so I could see a change to that being positive.

What about 4/2/0/-1? That balances out the win/draw thing, and also makes the forfeit penalty not so bad as if it was 2/1/0/-1.

I might come back. Maybe. Let me know when you are restarting.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 19:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Where's the copy SWL option? 5/2/0
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
What about 4/2/0/-1? That balances out the win/draw thing, and also makes the forfeit penalty not so bad as if it was 2/1/0/-1.

could it be 4/2/1/0, mitigating the 5 points per win. one could bring the win to 3 to spice up thing and add more chances to climb the ranks after a dicing

DaCoach

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the comments, and Pete, we miss you.
What got me moving was a bumby Regional - those 5 point forfeits messes up things
DaCoach

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
So I'm old-WIL, but happy to add my thoughts!

I might come back. Maybe. Let me know when you are restarting.

NOW!
ramchop

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 20:53
FUMBBL Staff

Wow, just had a nosy at that Regional. I don't think any scoring system would fix that. But it's only Reggies, that's all about getting to Confs, not about the Bronze Cup right?

The subject of forfeits is one I feel quite strongly about so I'll stick my oar in. Forfeits suck.

SWL's policy is quite a strict one. The rules are there, they're clearly written. Follow them or the Axe falls. Teach them the hard way. A few new coaches have learnt the hard way and left.
Pros: Simple, clear cut.
Cons: Forfeits, noobs leave

I run a much smaller league (DIBBL), and I probably lean too far the other way. On discord I send out a Thursday nudge to coaches in games I've not seen scheduled. I chase, I message, my heart bleeds to avoid the dreaded forfeit.
Pros: Quite a few forfeit-free seasons
Cons: more admin work. Overly generous extensions can make life difficult for some coaches the following round.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

2/1/0 is the most sensible scoring system for Blood Bowl. A draw should be half of a win. This isn’t a televised sport where we’re trying to create excitement to drive up viewership, it’s a board game. ‘Pushing to win’ is often a synonym for ‘playing sub-optimally’.

If you want to go -1 for forfeits, or 4/2/0/-1 to slightly penalise forfeits while retaining a 2/1/0 base, then fine, I can see an argument. But 5/2/1 over-rewards the win too much (as does 3/1/0, really).

I don’t think we have long-standing forfeit issues, more a short-term spike. That debate is secondary to getting the base right, in my opinion.

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %18, %2022 - %22:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
ramchop

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 22:14
FUMBBL Staff

2/1/0 might mean more tiebreaker situations. I'd be in SWL Prem this coming season on a 3-way tiebreaker under that system (4/2/1 = 3/4/0). I think better to have a slight edge for the win to separate teams.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I don’t know if that’s a problem. More than double points for a win over a draw is more than a slight edge - it’s chunkier in that in a game like Blood Bowl. If we were worried about it, make ‘games won’ first TB. That’s as slight as it gets.

But anyway. Scoring systems and tiebreakers in Blood Bowl is a bit of a trigger of mine. I shall sit on my hands and let others speak.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't like 2/1/0. (Not that I'm rejoining Wink)

A win should be better than two ties.

4/2/1 makes a win a bit better, but not too much better.

Post   Posted: Oct 18, 2022 - 23:05
FUMBBL Staff

its intersting that, at time of posting, 3/1/0 is winning, when the perceived problem is that 5/2/1/0 rewards wins too much and penalises draws.

5/2/1/0 gives 2.5 draw points for a win, and 3/1/0 of course gives 3x, so unlikely to solve the problem.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

3/1/0 is a very familiar thing.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:

5/2/1/0 gives 2.5 draw points for a win, and 3/1/0 of course gives 3x, so unlikely to solve the problem.

Im for 2/1/0 for same reason as Purplegoo.
But in reality with 5/2/1 you’ll get same score with 1/0/3 as 0/4/0 so one win equals 4 draws. Which is lame, so 3/1/0 is slighly better
mekutata

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

850/10/-400
make it BIG