11 coaches online • Server time: 07:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How should games score?
Keep 5/2/1
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
Do 3/1/0
37%
 37%  [ 15 ]
Do 2/1/0
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

uzkulak

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
its intersting that, at time of posting, 3/1/0 is winning, when the perceived problem is that 5/2/1/0 rewards wins too much and penalises draws.

5/2/1/0 gives 2.5 draw points for a win, and 3/1/0 of course gives 3x, so unlikely to solve the problem.

Agree with this, but to my mind the biggest issue with 5/2/1 is the value of a loss compared to a tie, rather than the value of a win versus a tie. 3/1/0 handles that better while still incentivizing wins.

Having said that I voted 2/1/0 after reading the arguments in this thread.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
2/1/0 is the most sensible scoring system for Blood Bowl. A draw should be half of a win. This isn’t a televised sport where we’re trying to create excitement to drive up viewership, it’s a board game. ‘Pushing to win’ is often a synonym for ‘playing sub-optimally’.

If you want to have a league where your participants watch games, it makes sense to make it "exciting".
Doesn't really matter if televised or not. Personally I enjoy the /boos and /stomps of dumb rivals.
But probably more important, is it less exciting for you as a coach if you are "pushed" to play beyond what you established to be optimal play?

Regarding sub-optimal play in general: If a draw is less desirable outcome, that context might just redefine how to define "optimal".

I am not even sure what optimal play means for you in general. But I know I am bored playing or watching games where coaches stall for a safe draw.

Slightly related; if overtime in BB would actually be fun, you could just remove draws and force teams to play until there is a winner.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:
its intersting that, at time of posting, 3/1/0 is winning, when the perceived problem is that 5/2/1/0 rewards wins too much and penalises draws.

5/2/1/0 gives 2.5 draw points for a win, and 3/1/0 of course gives 3x, so unlikely to solve the problem.

Agree with this, but to my mind the biggest issue with 5/2/1 is the value of a loss compared to a tie, rather than the value of a win versus a tie. 3/1/0 handles that better while still incentivizing wins.

Having said that I voted 2/1/0 after reading the arguments in this thread.

But then, 5/2/0 would be better.

More NFL style would be 100/1/0. Smile
We don't have ties after overtime though.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I live in North America. I can join if your league is not full by your preferred start date, I can fill a spot. However, if people within the preferred time zones want to join at a later date--they may have preferential treatment over me before the season starts. I will play the role of a super reserve that may be superseded by players within your region of play. Even though I may have asked prior to them, they deserve my spot. I am just here if there are not enough teams. If I do play in a season--I expect to play for only one season because by that time, an interested reserve in the correct region will likely build up. I look forward to playing people I otherwise would not compete against if the chance arises.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The main thing you're trying to break with points in a 7-game season is

4/1/2 vs 3/4/0

Most scoring systems give it to the undefeated team, because three ties beats one win. Current WIL gives in to the one extra win. 3-1-0 says those are equal, and need another tiebreaker, which probably goes to the undefeated team for most schemes there.

Should 3/4/0 beat 4/1/2? Answer that, yes (5-2-0), no (4-1-0), or maybe (3-1-0), and you'll have your points system.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
The main thing you're trying to break with points in a 7-game season is

4/1/2 vs 3/4/0

Most scoring systems give it to the undefeated team, because three ties beats one win. Current WIL gives in to the one extra win. 3-1-0 says those are equal, and need another tiebreaker, which probably goes to the undefeated team for most schemes there.

Should 3/4/0 beat 4/1/2? Answer that, yes (5-2-0), no (4-1-0), or maybe (3-1-0), and you'll have your points system.

Yeah, its points for the losses that seems to be the problem most of the time. Although I do see the purpose in terms of getting people to play matches - all the scoring systems suggested seem fairer without points for a loss.
geggster

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't agree it is points for losses that is the problem

There are two issues we face here:
1) making sure that people don't tactically avoid games or at least incentivised to the play them
2) but most importantly a sensible scoring system for the 98% of games that do get played

Broadly speaking answers are:
1) attach a negative point for forfeit (or perhaps a solitary point for playing the game at all)
2) then a system that is broadly 2x draw for a win - perhaps marginally more than 2x draw for a win, so that wins become first tiebreaker

So that's 2/1/0/-1 or 3/2/1/0 or perhaps 10/5/1/0. 2/1/0 for me.

Anyway, the leading results are a far cry from a win being worth x4 draws (assuming you play all the games in the current 5/2/1/0 format) so all good.

Last edited by geggster on %b %19, %2022 - %16:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Garion26

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:

Yeah, its points for the losses that seems to be the problem most of the time. Although I do see the purpose in terms of getting people to play matches - all the scoring systems suggested seem fairer without points for a loss.

To fix that use larger increments of points
so instead of (5-2-0) use (50-20-2) for example. Losses are worth some small increment of points such that losing a game is better then not playing it, but not so much that the points for the loss start causing oddities in final statistics.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Good job the vote is only an indication and the commissioner gets the final say!

Perhaps 20/10/1/0 is the solution then, which essentially makes a win = 2x draw, but with a tiny tweak to break ties.

Oh, and I have applied to the group.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

...and so the White Isle League came to be the pointiest league of all FUMBBL, where the scores are to be measured with 4 digits.
I'm in.
to make it less convenient to draw, 13/6/1/0
we might be the first to do that so we could use prime numbers: 17/7/3/1
shenanigans aside, I agree that a win should be a tad more than 2x of a draw, but not 2.5x.

Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not really too fussed either way... but 5 points for a win seems to over reward wins... but 2/1/0 means some are happy with the draw instead of pushing for a win. I like 3/1/0.

Forfeits should be 0, unless the admin can clearly see the coach has made no effort to arrange or play the match... in which case, -1 should be applied.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2022 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd prefer 5 for a win, 2 for a draw, 1 for a loss by less than 2 TDs, 0 for an abject loss, -1 for a forfeit. But maybe I'm just doing that to persuade people to avoid the 2-1 stall in favour of some blowout matches

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2022 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

NBFL uses 7/3/0
Irgy

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2022 - 04:44 Reply with quote Back to top

5-2-0 in SWL works well in my opinion, if you want a point for playing then you should do 6/3/1. Which is identical to 5/2/0/-1.
Sableheart

Post   Posted: Oct 20, 2022 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Voted to keep it the same, mainly because the OP didn't give any arguments for changing, so I'm not sure what problems we are actually trying to solve here.
 Jump to: