56 coaches online • Server time: 20:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

First I want to warn you that this post is mostly built on humble brag and passive aggressiveness (more than usual). If that is not what you are into you better stop reading now.

I have been playing blood bowl here for over a year now and really appreciate the work people do to keep this site running!
I think I have become a little better coach than I was from the beginning but I have realised I will never be able to compete with the best coaches here. Not being able to be a top coach at fair play I thought I might have a chance to be at least among the better coaches at unfair play.

I want to hear from other coaches who have embraced the dark side how many fake CR points they have achieved. I define fake CR as the difference between the highest CR you have achieved by unfair play and what you think your CR would be if you played completely fair.

My highest CR is 169 and my estimated fair play CR is 152 giving me 17 fake CR points.
Be honest with yourself when you estimate your real CR and don't set it to high even if you want to be a great fair playing coach.

Most coaches play fair which includes among other things.
Never hiring bomber, never scumming (only using gold to replace dead/injured players), not playing an excessive amount of solid bash teams like Orcs, Dorfs and Chaos Dwarfs, not avoiding playing weak teams like Vampires, Goblins and Nobility, not playing low TV stunties, not playing minmaxed CDs to counter low TV stunties, not playing without apo, not playing with an unusual low number of re-rolls, not fouling more than your opponent think is fair, not keeping TV low when you could grow it, not random skill and cycle players, not creating multiple stunty teams and play only 1 game with each to maximise inducements, not avoiding entering the black box when an especially fearsome coach is suspected to be in the draw.

This fake CR comparison is not for all the fair coaches but only for the dastardly few that manipulate this fine game for their own benefit.

May the sneakiest dirtiest playing coach win Twisted Evil
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll say your fake CR is actually -17. I'll say you are a CR 169 coach but give yourself deliberately a lower ranking of CR 152 by playing with the self imposed restraints you file under 'fairness'.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my list of fair play. I do everything on my list that is forbidden for fair playing coaches, it's the fair playing coaches that don't.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

What are you on about?
Java

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont agree about your opinion on fouling.

Other than that I give you 6/5 for trying.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Forgot about wizards, a fair coach never ever uses a wizard🙂
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I just crossed CR150 for the first time in ages - mainly cause I play in box now; and a win affects my cr more than it should. I think that overestimates my ability Smile.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

hmm.. i counter hire bomber, i definitely scum, sometimes. in 2020 i've only played orcs in C, but that's because i refuse to make new teams, and am waiting for conversion so i can play my other teams. i do avoid playing some teams, but its based on the opponents CR, not the race, i've hated the apo for years, and absolutely refuse to use it in 2020 unless my tv is over 2000 (and even then i'm not convinced), i do play 2 re-rolls a lot, i foul, i do all kinds of tv maximizing strategies, but i hate that stars are better than equivalent players so i do try to avoid teams where stars are the obvious choice *cough 12 rotter nurgle cough*, i cycle players all the time, i hate new teams and will never cycle rosters, ever, ever ever

so that makes my fake CR.. i have no idea. some of my teams qualify, and some of them don't!
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2022 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Good to hear I'm not the only unfair coach here🙂

To clarify I'm intersted in the fake part of the CR, if you have a CR of 150 but your real CR should be 130 then you are really good at sneaky unfair play with 20 fake CR!

If you have high fake CR like me you will not stand a chance in a mirror match with similar teams and no treasury to spend against a fair coach with same CR. If you have about 50% chance to win such a match you have no fake CR at all.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2022 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Most "fake CR" coaches want to be known for a good CR / win rate, so probably wont be coming out on here Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2022 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

What is CR anyway, and why does it matter? It’s just a metric without any meaning. Ignore it and you’ll be completely fine.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2022 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm happy to report that I have now reached a fake CR of 170. I have used many different dirty tricks to achieve it. I can't really claim much originality in my sneaky dirty play as I have seen most of it done already by the very small minority of non fair play coaches on this site.
tussock

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2022 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not fake, it's a warning to coaches thinking of playing you, that you'll probably beat them.

Like, if you've got CR 170, then anyone looking at accepting a match against you, who's say 160 or under, well, you probably are going to beat them, because you wouldn't be taking the match otherwise. You've got a plan, and you're pretty sure you're going to win.

And the site agrees, it's pretty sure you're going to win too.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2022 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

"Like, if you've got CR 170, then anyone looking at accepting a match against you, who's say 160 or under, well, you probably are going to beat them, because you wouldn't be taking the match otherwise."

Exactly. Perfectly said.

"I accept matches where the odds are significantly in my favor." True for 80%+ of CR 170 coaches. But we do have some true killers who take on the best of the best in good games.

Jump to: