48 coaches online • Server time: 13:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2022 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

On the flip side, I have earned the badge because I won a game despite being pitch cleared. I've won numerous games after the first half brutalized my team. I take pride in not giving up (although I have certainly whined many a time about the side gods, even after it was a result of my poor coaching.)
I realize that's not for everyone, but my appeal to my opponents is always to play like that - show me how to win when things go poorly, do I can learn to do it yoom
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2022 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Staying down to protect your team and hurry the game along is a time-honored tradition. Conceding is acceptable only if you're retiring the team, or if there are some genuinely weird extenuating circumstances. Every game's culture is its own, go figure.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
Remember also from the fumbbl rules page: "Once a game is started or scheduled, you are committed to it and you are expected to play it through."

I recently conceeded after a coach complained in game that I was time wasting, "that he would report me for it" and he was already wasting his time. Note that I didn't cross the four minute line. For me my time is worth more than listen to and endure that attitude, or debate about ego - so I ended the game there and then.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 06:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting that giving up in game is acceptable but to concede is not.
I usually prefer if opponent concedes instead of clicking through turns. You might get some SPP but otherwise it's not a fun experience. Playing in ToB it can give valuable kills but sometimes the game is poisoned by insults from the losing coach and then I sometimes don't want to grant him the respect of fouling.
XpherAndTheAxes

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

i mean your 2 cas concession idea is crazy for someone who loads up on MB and morg...
just embrace the violence of the game a little..
HimalayaP1C7

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

My guess, allowing conceding would put people off playing, less players is worse for everyone.

If we become more relaxed about conceding then (I presume) the concede rate will go up significantly. This will put off people who only have time for a single game, which at 1 hour plus (I presume) makes up a decent proportion.

I don’t think the extreme example of when someone wants to leave their players lying down is very helpful, as it’s very rare. In an environment where conceding is not discouraged you’d get newer or easily tilted coaches conceding as soon as the game turns against them, but the game shouldn’t just be about playing until you fall behind a bit.

You also asked for more specific rules from the admins. I don’t think you will or should get them, writing rules is really difficult and I’m sure they want to use many factors to decide if they need to do anything.

I don’t think the ToB experience is all that significant a factor in deciding if conceding is acceptable/not. It matters a lot to the minority taking part, but that’s about it.
Xandyreoch

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

So i would have conceded this game?
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4416110
and not stolen all the CR points??? i think not, kill my team but the better coach usually wins xD
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

haha

So was the point of this thread to encourage concessions from his opponents?
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Why should you concede when you are winning? I don't want to encourage opponents to concede, but I'm usually happy when they do. As Nelphine pointed out a seemingly lost game can often be turned so when an opponent concedes you go from a probable win to a certain win. Some of the coaches who are against concessions seem to be the strong coaches who are used to winning and will be certain to win without opponent concedeing. Some maybe see it as their privilege to humiliate weaker coaches. Xandyreoch is clearly a better coach than me but why the need to add insult to defeat?
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently conceeded after a coach complained in game that I was time wasting, "that he would report me for it" and he was already wasting his time. Note that I didn't cross the four minute line. For me my time is worth more than listen to and endure that attitude, or debate about ego - so I ended the game there and then.[/quote]

You should report said player to admins for toxic behaviour, you shouldnt have to listen idiotic egoistic rambles when you play.

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I hear stories from the unpoliced BB2, of people dropping out after their first pickup fails. Really wouldn't want to open the door to that kind of behaviour with talks of easing up on the C-word.

I've done exhasperated concessions in the past, with stories similar to Mnemon's. In certain situations you don't feel like spending any more time entertaining a different kind of C-word. I've seen people do that even before the game starts, such was the power of preliminary chat.

The correct behaviour there, of course, would be to report, but often the emotional response is flight rather than fight. There's more than enough conflict in real life, no need to prolong it into the escapist fantasy of Blood Bowl.

with a clear mind, I know I should have reported. Nobody else should endure that kind of toxic attitude.

But with excessive casualties? Just take it and rebuild. More of a success story Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Reporting toxic behaviour sounds like a good thing, I have been too lazy to do it but should start to do it.

Aside from that is the consensus that concessions should be reported?
I've had 6 opponents concede against me in the current ToB season and none of them came close to your standards for concessions.
As I said before I like to kill opponents players and to take part in ToB but only as long as opponent is a willing part of the game. To report them just seems cruel.
HimalayaP1C7

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Chrisdekok wrote:
Some maybe see it as their privilege to humiliate weaker coaches.

Think of the Greater Good (Sergeant Angel).

You can always find an example where letting someone concede seems sensible, but if the attitude that conceding is fine becomes widespread, that brings loads of downsides.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Staying down to protect your team and hurry the game along is a time-honored tradition. Conceding is acceptable only if you're retiring the team, or if there are some genuinely weird extenuating circumstances. Every game's culture is its own, go figure.

That seems like some bizarre logic to me. If you are retiring the the team anyway, why not play on until they are all dead? Smile

As the team is going to be destroyed by seasons anyway, Is getting destroyed that big a deal now.
Unless maybe you're trying to build a perfect 15 game team for a Major.

The BB2 model was that you could join a game and concede as soon as you realised that you didn't like the look of the opposition.
That horribly unbalanced the environment and was pretty frustrating for people who actually wanted to play a game.

Discouraging concessions is in IMO generally good for the environment.
The site's concession rules are pretty generous. I'm pretty sure many coaches will not concede no matter what.

Conceding or pulling the plug because the opponent is an arse'ole is against the rules. But I guess it is probably main real reason for a lot of consessions. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2022 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

After encountering Keyser Söze not retiring the team is unthinkable.

I'm usually rather silent during the game except the common courtesy phrases. I know some coaches don't like that but conceding because of it seem rather thin skinned even to my standards.
 Jump to: