37 coaches online • Server time: 15:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2022 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I am interested. How may people use unaltered official rules in their own leagues?

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2022 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying to put a league together, and my buddies and I have all agreed on no house rules for the first three seasons. But we don't have an actual league; there's one already running that we could join, but we've all declined because they use too much weird stuff.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2022 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Tabletop?
We use pretty much the core rules as written. I think that's overwhelmingly common. Deathzone has a lot of optional rules and we specifically don't allow mercs.

FUMBBL beats me
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2022 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The small TT league I'm in uses just the official rules
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2022 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Including wildly inaccurate? Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2022 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, after 731 matches played with BB2020 rules, I didn't find Wildly Inaccurate affecting so much the games.
Most of times you pass on the very last turn of the drive (or when you are so desperate that a big passing failure won't matter) and either fumbling, throwing an Inaccurate or Wildly Inaccurate won't make a difference.
Wildly Inaccurate may discourage punting the ball and farming through vanity passes, that's true, but most of games is not as dramatic as many people think.
Also, running the ball is the most common tactic, so the ball is not thrown a lot, thus making Wildly Inaccurate quite rare.
What I find really appalling is the general Elven PA, lower than it should (the DE Runner is a joke), and Agility overcost, considering that now it's not used anymore to pass the ball.
That said, I'm not implying that Wildly Inaccurate is a good rule. It's bad indeed, in terms of "realism", but not as bad as you could think in terms of effect on gameplay.
All in my opinion and from my own particular perspective and experience.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %01, %2022 - %12:%Dec; edited 2 times in total
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2022 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep. We talked it over, and one of the house rules we were considering for season 4 might have been to make Wildly Inaccurate with the ball (only) on a modified roll less than 1, rather than 1 or less. But I'm actually going to recommend against it unless we decide to change a lot (unlikely) because it's so damn rare that it actually happens. Like, I have yet to throw Wildly Inaccurate with the ball in any BB2020 game, and have seen exactly one Wildly Inaccurate ball thrown against me.

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2022 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, players who can throw easily Wildly Inaccurate are not going to pass a lot.
About Wildly Inaccurate: I would make scatter the ball D6 squares from the target square, rather than from thrower's square, and Pass skill would reduce the scatter from D6 to D3 squares.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2022 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait, two against me, but one was a punt and it went several squares upfield anyway.

As for Wildly Inaccurate being unrealistic, all I can say is, "two words: JaMarcus Russell."

Wait, how many words is "JaMarcus"? Should'a said, "Ryan Leaf." There have been many others.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2022 - 05:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I've caused Dribblesnot to throw wildly inaccurate multiple times via getting him in Disturbing Presence. Some of those bombs have been pretty hilarious.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2022 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

yes
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2022 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

If a DE Runner has the ball and you declare the Blitz against him, he can Dump Off
If you have a very slim chance of actually getting to hit him, maybe it requires a lot of Dodges... but you could declare it anyway in the hopes it'd make the Runner throw a bad throw and drop it somewhere

I spec'd a game, might have been in Fumbbl Cup, where the Runner was in contact with a few opposition players and he Dumped Off Wildly Inaccurately, and it went backwards into clear space
Seems like a disaster
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2022 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I have many bad experiences with Bomber throwing Inaccurate bombs and still injuring players of mine. Very Happy

About Dump-Off: the skill is bad now. Being able to throw the ball before being blocked sounds good in theory but, since the attacker can change the path during their move, the skill is worse. If you are going to use Dump-Off chances are that the Runner will be marked by 1 of more opponent players, the failure is quite high, the attacker can just see where the ball ends and pick it up.
I would change Dump-Off like so: the pass can be thrown at any point of the attacker's move.
You could wait for him to get 1 square away from the Runner before actually throwing the pass.
That would force the attacker to use almost his full Movement, rather than waiting for the failure and comfortably pick the ball up.

The DE Runner would be better with PA 2+ and no Dump-Off.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %01, %2022 - %12:%Dec; edited 2 times in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2022 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:

As for Wildly Inaccurate being unrealistic, all I can say is, "two words: JaMarcus Russell."

Sometimes, the past really should just stay the past.

Sp00keh wrote:
koadah wrote:

yes

And that nonsense of TTM hitting an opposing player ending the turn?

That has at least been corrected.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2022 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes koadah, we play core rules. It shouldn’t be that hard to accept :p
I’m pretty sure most TT leagues would do, or maybe some very small tweaks

The main reason leagues will play core rules is I think because a lot of the people who set up leagues will also go to tournaments, so they’ll want a consistent experience where possible
The most common tweaks would be likely about things related to Seasons, or gold, etc I’d guess, stuff that makes the league work better for the group but doesn’t affect in-game rules

Btw the FAQ for overdog / underdog has been amended, already, lol

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/WaqXNL0tUi3iKuw0.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3bL2NKht1kh8KNFSXxQ5omZS1Vqb4L3RQsmirZom0Epp1W05G3nVJ_J1E
 Jump to: