16 coaches online • Server time: 04:31
Index Search Usergroups Profile
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Worst Positional in ...goto Post Welcome Newcomers - ...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chris300

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2022 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Ive been playing quite a bit of Renegades recently both a league season and 3 tournaents. They can be both fun and frustrating.

What I am struggling with is using my size advantage. Im used to playing elves previously and now I have St5 pieces i still always feel under strength.

Whats the best way to use them on the LOS in defence and prevent them and other players getting smacked about?
Carthage

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2022 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Troll can go on the line, but im of the opinion the ogre usually shouldnt and the "blitzing" one definitely shouldnt. You want him free for blitzing.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2022 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Jumbo players on the line are usually a disappointment, except vs. all-ST3 squads with no Guard. Troll is the exception because he's cheap and tough, but even then it's kind of a wash. I know it looks like Strength is your strength, but after negatraits you're not as strong as Orcs or Undead, and the bigs are your only source of primary S skill access.

It's true on offense too: you want your opening blocks to be negatrait-free, though if you block diagonally and push laterally you can open up some 3d secondary hits with bigs, that's not so bad. Also having the bigs means nobody else will play a big line against you (except Stunties, who often have little choice).

In general, for most teams, loner bigs don't help you bash very much. They hit hard, but they're unreliable and likely to turn you over, or even just cost you zones, which is also very bad for a bash strategy. If you wanna shed blood, go for teams with lots of GS-access players, like Chaos, Orcs, or even Humans. Undead and Tomb Kings are okay too because their strong guys aren't loners and don't have any negatraits that can cost actions. (Yes, a Mummy's crappy MA is like a negatrait, and Decay is a negatrait, but neither gets in your way when throwing a block.)

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2022 - 04:41 Reply with quote Back to top

renegades big boys can be fun, but the ogre and troll are best used as supporting pieces to your other, more reliable players. 2 strength 5 monsters with guard your renegades do their blocking better.

It's harder to make a killer renegade without S access, so you have to build your team around M access and the weird combination of players. But if you bring 3 big guys and try to always block with them, prepare to be disappointed.
 Jump to: