65 coaches online • Server time: 22:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

My game plan when playing Ogres is to win by causing removals. If you get some early removals it can cause a snowball effect with easier and easier removals. This is not the same as trying to force a concession, my plan doesn't need a concession to work.
Ignoring the ball isn't part of the plan.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

sure. and if they concede, you've won. the winning team doesn't need anything more than that (although if i remember correctly they get to assign a td for spp too)
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:

Some of them have openly told be the plan is to destroy my team and they want the concession win.

How many have told you that under this ruleset?

This sounds like more of a BB2 thing to me. Even under LRB4 & CRP people seemed to be more interested in getting the pitch clearance than the concession.

The main problem with the CRP CPOMB wasn't so much how nasty it was. It was more that over a certain TV in the Box, it was pretty much all there was.

But hey, the New Orleans Saints, Sofia Pertrillo and pretty much everyone else realises that it is easier to beat the opposition when their best players are off the field and the more you can get rid of the better.

Hasn't the threat of seasons got rid of all the pixel huggers? Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

hell no. i shall pixel hug Shindahl forever.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Getting back to the original question we can agree that there are negative effects of a concession like missed opportunity to gain SPP, fouls, kills for ToB, gaming time etc. I think this has been made worse by not gaining valuable gold as compensation while the rest thinks this is only good.

The site rules says that concessions shouldn't be made lightly but I don't think this is enforced as I have spectated or watched many replays with really weak concessions.
I conceded sometimes before I realised the rules are supposed to be in place still but have now changed to a never concede stance.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The site rules are not in place to force people to never concede but to eliminate the possibility of concessions that are, in effect, potentially colluding based cheating.
What constitutes that is, ultimately, at admin discretion.

We play the rules as written as far as they can, within site operation, be applied. To do other than this is simply attempting to apply one's own morals, or code upon others.

Perhaps you may come to see gold as "more valuable" again when the rules regarding rebuys are enforced. But once more, the concession rules are not in place to reward the winning team.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't want to apply any moral code on others I think there is enough of that here already.
I agree that it's best to follow the rules as written. The site rules against concessions is outside of the BB rules though and it should be possible to attach some kind of penalty to conceding.
I don't like the kind of undefined "you know it when you see it" kind of rules like the site rule for concessions. It usually means that the biggest bullshiters get their way. I know I don't stand a chance against those any day of the week so I just consider all of my concessions as illegal and all opponents concessions as legal.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me put this as plainly as I can.

What you are asking is tantamount to a reward for stronger coaches/predation/minmax/playing in a manner that encourages concessions (delete as applicable). The site tends to run in a manner that is holistically best for the totality, and this in turn means protecting the vulnerable, not punishing them. People who concede excessively or are clearly gifting MVP + SPP to their opponents are dealt with by admins.

The reason it is "you know it when you see it" is because the site rule is, first and foremost, about cheating - it is not to force people to sit through games of dubious merit.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

It's interesting that you stress that the rule is about cheating/collusion. We had a rather lengthy discussion about concessions recently where I argued that conceding should be allowed and I don't remember your reason coming up at all but the ones you dismiss did.
You learn something new here everyday.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

This does seem a bit strange as colluding is already against the rules.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

People are used to conceding in many games nowadays as soon as they realise they cant win anymore (just watch your kids play some online Rocket League for proof...). I think online bloodbowl, if it wants to continue to attract new players, might need to recognise this trend exists and not penalise concessions too much as it might frustrate or even confuse new players.

Traditions are great, but if you dont keep up with the times you get left behind.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2022 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

That, or we can be the place to go for that old-school "take your lumps and like it" gaming. I mean, isn't Blood Bowl all about grief and griefing? Certainly, the bittersweet is part of the attraction, no?