15 coaches online • Server time: 06:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Bomber and Cindy are blatantly underpriced and potentially gamebreaking, so I thought to make a thread about ways to counter them.

My ideas, so far (feel free to add yours):

1) A Thrower (or Runner with some throwing skill such as Accurate or Cannoneer) following the main ball carrier (but out of blast radius, at least 2 squares away from the ball carrier) so, if the main ball carrier is knocked down, he can pick up the ball and pass it;

2) Safe Pair of Hands, in order to control the ball's scatter when the ball carrier is knocked down; that means the ball carrier/Thrower could hide in a corner of the pitch, reducing the chance of being hit by an Inaccurate bomb (because a corner square has just 3 adjacent squares);

3) A ball carrier with high AV, high MA, and Jump Up (he gets Knocked Down, but hopefully he stays alive thanks to high AV and can stand up and get the ball on the next turn);

4) Weather Mage: When you're going to move close to Bomber change the Weather to Very Sunny to give him a -1 malus. Weather Mage is very cheap so in theory he can be bought easily and often;

5) Punting the ball: it can be a last desperate measure, but if the game is almost over (turn 7-8 ) and there is a high chance that the ball carrier could be knocked down by a bomb and the opponent will score, then a punt could prevent a loss; with either PA 3+ or 4+ throwing a Long Pass to an empty square without Wildly Inaccurate requires a 4+, 75% with either Pass or a rr;

6) Disturbing Presence: try to get 2-3 players with Disturbing Presence close enough to Bomber to make him fail the pass. I know it's obvious, but wanted to write it for completeness's sake.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %06, %2023 - %15:%Mar; edited 3 times in total
Diablange

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

What about :
- Have your own bomber
- Blitz / tacklezone the opponent bomber as often as possible ?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, but not all teams can have a bomber. Cindy, by the way, is not as good as Bomber.

About Blitz/Tackle zone: yes, but it's not that easy, Bomber tends to hide behind team mates. I did it in many games but marking Bomber is not that great. The opponent can just blitz the marking player, or just throw the bomb despite being marked. Sure, it's better than nothing, but it's not very effective, on its own. Marking him + Weather Mage starts to be more effective.
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

My strategy is
-give up and just let him destroy my team

That usually works
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think people who constantly hire bomber should whine so much about it ?

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not?

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Why whine if use yourself. Better just not whine, doesnt even help.

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

If a rule is crap, whine long and loud until it is changed. Twisted Evil

Eventually someone may hear you. Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
If a rule is crap, whine long and loud until it is changed. Twisted Evil

Eventually someone may hear you. Smile

yarr
Joost

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Sideshow Bob on this. Playing against a bomber bought by an overdog is just souldraining (I don't mind them as much if an underdog buys them). Bombers are a problem.
Carthage

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I've recently started bringing wizards solely to zap either of them. It's worked the few times Ive managed to afford it.
Somewhat annoying to have to spend 150k to neutralize a 50k player, but it does mean they are stuck with 10 players plus a frog vs a full 11 which is work some of that delta.
DaCoach

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I've done that, too
But also hired Cindy AND Bomber for my Ogres, if 100 down
Happy to see them nerfed a bit soon
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to hire a Wizard to counter Bomber before the November FAQ, but now it's harder.
If your opponent is slightly overdog (95 TV or less) you can't hire a Wizard to counter Bomber, but he can hire Bomber. Also, not all teams swim in gold. Elves tend to lack Treasury to spend on Inducements.
It's really silly that the overdog can decide to buy Inducements. It would be better the other way around, i.e. the underdog can decide to buy Inducements worth maximum the TV difference between the 2 teams.
That said, bombers need a price increase. Akhorne is 80k but way worse than a bomber.

DaCoach wrote:

But also hired Cindy AND Bomber for my Ogres, if 100 down

I'd like a 0-1 Star Player cap. Or at least, a sort of Star Player-type limit. For example, max 1 Star Player with Secret Weapon rule.
Garion

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

only real strategy is - hope they blow them self up turn 1. If not, then turn 2 etc...

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2023 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried the "hope for failure" strategy (carefully keeping my players spaced 2 squares to minimize blast effect whenever possible), and some games they just don't fail. They fumble, but a rr saves them or they just throw an Inaccurate bomb that still wreaks havoc.
Moreover, if you play carefully and stay away from Bomber, the opponent can just wait patiently before throwing that single effective bomb when you have to move close to him.
The problem of the "hope for failure" strategy is that the pressure of scoring is on you (assuming that Bomber is fielded by opponent on their defensive drive), so the opponent can wait, you can't. Sooner or later you will have to advance and risk a bomb.
A Bomber can be effective just as impending threat. He doesn't have to throw a bomb each and every turn to affect your offensive drive.
 Jump to: