16 coaches online • Server time: 01:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
McCloud

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2004 - 01:04 Reply with quote Back to top

What be you speaking of Jan?
I was out for almost a week due to computer having to be nuked/paved due to virus's.
Couldn't be helped.
Also wasn't aware there was a 2nd season, thought me elves were done for.
Will try and be on a little here and there but can't promise anything.

McCloud
Kharnath

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2004 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

There seems to be a fundamental flaw with the Overlord tournament - the strong teams tend to grow stronger while the weak teams grow weaker. Ebenezer, Dusko and Filov are already 0/0/2. What are their chances if they meet one of the finalists in the first round of our 3rd event?

<b>No</b> chance of succeeding -> <b>no</b> incentive to play the tournament games -> <b>no</b> activity

Maybe we should cut down on the number of events or consider resetting our teams from time to time. Maybe even switch races.

EDIT: My opponent has gone AWOL. Nothing I can do about that.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2004 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that's a problem, but it was one that should have been obvious to anyone who signed up from the very start. The only thing I can suggest is to allow those who get knocked out first an extra game, but they still don't get any points in the tourney standings. That way the people who make it the final are still rewarded, but not tremendously so.

As a bonus, the extra game need not be managed by the commish, though it should be only within this group, and players would need to get their games organised themselves - something I'm not sure half this bunch of slackers would manage anyways.

People need to get organised and try to organise their games in advance. The minute you see who your next opponent is, you should be sending them a PM with your available times you can play, and asking for theirs. Then you work out a time to play. Hoping to bump into people on chat isn't good enough, especially for those of us in different timezones where one person will likely have to play outside their normal times they'd be online.

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2004 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I know Kharnath is right.

but:

1- a Skaven who loses his first match would be GLAD to wait Tournament two instead of facing a Khemri team in a "recovery match".
2- Switching teams is against the very concept of this League.
3- Ebenezer was bound to lose against ANYONE, having 8 beastmen with no block on the field. Dusko was a challenge for my Chaos team (ok, I am not so good a coach), and Filov lost due to Giax's Elves not rolling ones for an entire half.
4- Different TRs? This is what handicaps are for.
5- I thought that those who agreed and joined the Overlord DID read the rules and DID want to finish what they started. I stated that early in my posts here and in the Group Page. Ebenezer will fight to death and oppose his best against any coach, would that be a Full Strenght Orc or a beaten up Elf.

Ok. this is it. Now the nice part. Wink

6- In the Group Page is clearly stated that this is an experiment. This is the First Edition of something somewhat new. All ideas are welcome.
7- True, the powerful grows stronger while the weak has little hope of growing. The recovery games suggested by Chunky can be a solution... but it can also be a bad idea (see point one).
8- A solution would be making a round robin tournament instead of a KO one. Like this: 8 events, each one is divided into two round robin tournaments of 8 squads. The one who scores more points at the end of the league, gets 3 points. No Overtimes. This way everybody (the winners as well as the losers) would play the same number of matches. Problem A: we lose the thrill of a in-or-out match. Problem B: if someone fails to play a scheduled match, all subsequent matches would stop. Problem C: it would take MUCH longer to complete one event.

that's it for now.

ps1: Keep going with ideas and suggestions. Me and Ebenezer will put them all in the "decisions basket" when we will organize season two.
ps2: All ideas and suggestions in the world cannot prevent a tournament from being raped and destroyed by ppl who do not play their matches and do not report. Very Happy Always remember this (and remember that the longer the tournament, the highe the abandon rate).
ps3: McCloud... read the Group Page. The events will be EIGHT, and we are just playing the second (at least trying to). Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2004 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... as Jan stated, this is only the first season, we proposed a tournement structure but if doesn't fit well, we can change and try another system.

The main objectives are:
1) a new kind of tournement, not individual but team based
and
2) create a trustworth group of members, so we can be sure to play without forfeits; this point is really important... I have seen a LOT of good tournements abandoned from the organizers and the partecipants too. We don't want this on Overlord, so we try to be strict.

About the recovery: yeah, I lost 2 match, I've played the second with 8 ... but I don't think it's a good idea the recovery, as stated by Chunky

Quote:
it was one that should have been obvious to anyone who signed up from the very start.

if I have to play vs Khemri, I really risk other cas and if I play vs elves or skaven... well Wink

A little quote in tournements thread "What tournements would you like to play in?"
Quote:
But a long term one would definitely be good, no retiring of teams, so even if you've been destroyed by your previous opponent you have to keep going. "Aconite"

this is my philosophy, I hope we can reach this goal
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

One idea would possibly be to run a 3 round swiss tourney each time, with each round lasting a week. The problem with this is from experience, people not playing their games really stuffs this system up, as in swiss you need all games to be played before as new round begins, so any extensions granted shortens the next round also.

Post 14 Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, my message was a little outdated. I think the structure of this tournament is just fine, and all (!) we need to do is to find some genuine people who won't quit halfway through. I know fer sure I'd keep playing 'till I had no players left. Oh, McCloud, you should've read the friggin' group page. To let an entire group down just because you haven't spared the time to do 5 mins of reading is just plain shite. Sorry dude, but it really is... Anyways, we sort of knew this would happen, now we just have to find some people we KNOW won't quit.. I'd be glad to make some recommendations if needed.

Cheers,

'da desert warrior'

Last edited by kv1z4tz on %b %29, %2004 - %10:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer not to mention names, but of course I know the identity of those who tried to play and/or contacted me.

I might be a bit upset, but I'm still a fair judge.

Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
One idea would possibly be to run a 3 round swiss tourney each time, with each round lasting a week. The problem with this is from experience, people not playing their games really stuffs this system up, as in swiss you need all games to be played before as new round begins, so any extensions granted shortens the next round also.

This is why we preferred the "KO system"... But then comes the problem: the losers will play a few matches, while the winners will grow stronger and the gap will soon be too evident...

Which is the lesser evil?

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Given that we have multiple tournaments, it could be possible to alternate between the two formats.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

ebenezer and I are working on a new formula that might work well. As soon as we hava decided our best proposal, I'll post it so that anyone can say what he thinks.

For now, try to stick to the rules Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it looks like the Orcs are once again in the box seat this round. My Grundalads are through to the final once more after a brutal slugfest with the Servants of Settra (brutal in terms of ball handling - except for those mummies), but we finally managed to come through 1-0 in OT. Thanks for the game to cyric612, and I apologise if I was a bit tired and cranky. Sharky's Grundalads have now made the second round also, and we look forward to again claiming the majority of the points available for this round.

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2004 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think I knew of more games, but RL interjected itself there for a few days, as in the form of a virus thru mIRC that forced me to wipe my system. I have played my game, so any of you peoples who were supposedly waiting on it to be played can stop your whining.
Not to mention I wasn't even gone a whole week, so don't really understand the complaining. Us american coaches have a hard time getting together with the mostly european/asian community here.
cyric612

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2004 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh Once again I get up early and get beat down by the orcs Smile The game pretty much was ugly as about anyone who tried to gfi fell over (especially if they had the ball) Smile And my Mummies picking up two bouncing balls helped to keep the game 0-0 although we both should have probably scored at least once and Chunky at least 2 times. Looking forward to getting my revenge in the next tourney if I meet chunky again
Cyric612
JanMattys

Post 4 Posted: Sep 30, 2004 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Exclamation OPPONENT CONTACTING RULES Exclamation

Ok, I thought this was unnecessary, but I was wrong.

1- As soon as you know who your opponent is, add him to your Buddy List, so you can see if and when he comes online.

2- Send your opponent a Personal Message as soon as possibile, stating your preferences in terms of days and times to play.

3- Forward me your messages, or at least, before the time limit expires, try to send me a message stating the status of your contacts with your opponent. As I said a billion times, if you tell me that you cannot play before wednesday, and you both agree, but the time limit expires tuesday, I have no problems to concede a delay, of course.

4- Use and connect to the Fumbbl chat and JOIN or CREATE a channel where we can find each other. Fumbbl_Overlord would be fine. Everytime you connect to fumbbl and can play, type

/join Fumbbl_Overlord

This way we will always have a room to chat and to find your buddies. Obviously, as long as you stay online waiting you should periodically check that room to see if someone (you opponent, for example) shows up... Wink

5- Be patient about Jan_Mattys. He's a good guy who tries to keep something running. Help him and you will be rewarded with... uhm... well... a cake? Very Happy

That's it.

See you on the pitch.
Jan