37 coaches online • Server time: 14:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nehver

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the second season of the 5 Star League!

Use this forum for general questions,
reporting problems,
and general trash talking!

Most important rule....... HAVE FUN!!!

Link to the League Page:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=1657
DaemonicLazoth

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a question can we those of us in the cosmos and celestiral have a second team in the newbie lot if there is a space?

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 04:39 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no limit to the number of teams allowed in the "newbie lot".
If any coach, from the top 2 divisions, would like to have a second team in the
meteorite division, that's fine. However, if that team places 1st or 2nd, you are
only allowed to have one team in the top 2 divisions. So you will then have to
decide which team stays in the league.
-Nehver
Nehver

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 05:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Tourney will be starting this Monday morning, and will run until the end of December.
Get in as many games as you can before the month is over!
-Nehver
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

1 month? uh isn't that short?

1game/10days = 3 games?

is it a tournament in order to wait for season 2 or season 2?
Captain1821

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Why an Open round robin and not just a round robin so noone can avoid noone and everyone will play with everyone?

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Even in round robin, people avoid each other... that's why I have to hand out so many forfeits.
I'm just trying something different this season that's all.

I don't think one month is too short. In open round robin you don't have to wait around for your
opponent to finish his lastt match in order to play you. You have more freedom to play whomever
you like. I've run tournies like this in the past, and 1 month is more than enough time.

We'll give it a try, and if it isn't liked, we can switch back to round robin in season 3.

-Nehver
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Open Round Robin?????? Well you go to much more worries IMO.

1-Cherry picking (damn that weakend team who'd be a perfect game).
2-Game organisation

For exemple, I will dodge Captain's team in first games in order to get tackle, a skill I miss.

Is it unfair? Absolutely. Will I do it? probably. I will also try to get some skills on my new R-O and therefore tend to play easiest games at the beginning.

What will happen then? My game pace will maybe be not so fast because of everyones tactical plans and I predict a lot of headaches for you to get the game movin'.
Nehver

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, there's a dealine... if coaches want points they'll play.
If they don't they wont make ployoffs. It's that simple... no
headaches for me. Wink Like I said, I've run many other tournies
this way, and it's never caused a problem in the past.

However, I've always said I will listen to the wants of my coaches.
So far i've heard from two people, not enough feedback to change
the format in my opinion. If others pipe in their thoughts, and there
are enough of you that would rather see a round robin... then I'll
entertain the tought of switching it back.

So coaches... what would you like to see in season 2?
We still start Monday, so let you voices be heard quickly.

-Nehver
PhilMan

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

well, i dont like cherrypicking, i will always accept a challange, especially in a tournement, but even i will face the weaker team when presented with two different teams in a tournement.

the main problem i find with open rr tournements is that i dont come online all the time and spend ages in the chat room, i tend to try to book a time when i can get online with my next opponent, which is why i prefer normal round robin games, as i can PM my opponent and book a time. in an open style, i feel i will get much less games tha in a closed style

"Best Bar in This Street"
Arcon

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer round robin.
There is no cherry picking, you have enough time to fix a date for the game if you know your opponent (and be sure he doesn´t play other games until then), you don´t have to hang around andlessly in the chat, it´s more fair, caus every team has to play one opponent.
Actually, I kind of dislike open round robin... Wink
tane

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

One vote against open round robin. One of the reasons (but not the only or primary reason) I joined this league was the format - I'd be playing 4vs4 or faction if I wanted to play in an open tournament environment. Not having to waste time looking for games is good.

Some other notes:

Casualties weren't worth any points in the first season right? Any reasons for the change? Just curious, I'm ok with the change even with my cas diff of -4.

The divisions sound more complicated than last time. Does "top finishing 7 teams" mean the 7 teams with most main season points? Ie. it would be possible for a team to win the playoffs and the tourney, and still not be considered a top finishing team?

New teams. Is there a limit to how many games they can play? The same max. of six games as the tournament teams? As many as they can get in? (assuming the league becomes popular, even winning all my games I'd never be able to compete against someone who has time to play 30 games a month)

-tane
Nehver

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, the coaches have spoken Wink
It seems as though the majority of feedback is highly against open round-robin.
Therefore, season 2 will be a round-robin format. I will be changing the league page
shortly to reflect the changes.

Yes, there are 14 coaches from last season in this season. I will be taking the top 7 (main
season points) in top division, and the remaining 7 will be in the second division. And yes...
just like in the NFL, it is possible for an underdog, who isn't in the top division, to win the
superbowl Wink

New teams in the third division will also be in round-robin format. I will try to keep it so that
all the division have the same number of rounds (or as close as possible) in order to keep it
fair.

-Nehver

Last edited by Nehver on %b %04, %2004 - %20:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

cool good work Nehver.
Aconite

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2004 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, I appear to find myself in the top division (if I understand it right). Which is nice...

Not sure I agree with giving points for casualties though, if a team causes casualties they should be heading for a win anyway in this format, and just means they get even more points. I liked the point system from the first season. I've a (so-called) bashy team, and had Cas difference of -6 because I played to try and win rather than harm, and think points for pain would encourage a change of playing style...

Bring on the start of the season!

(Brad Osberg)
 Jump to: