55 coaches online • Server time: 22:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sandune

Post 3 Posted: Mar 16, 2005 - 05:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I'm just going to throw this idea out in the open.

We get rid of every single current team in SWL =).
Everybody then gets to make 2 new tr100 teams, I will vaguely say 1 "agility", 1 "bashy" team for each coach. Obviously the Admins will have to keep a very tight rein on team races as we are going for an even overall mix. Possibly higher placed coaches with prem/conferences get first pick ( we go through the list of races, 1 of each race before a 2nd team of any race is allowed to start), first place getting first pick of 1 team, second place, 2nd pick etc.

Option #1 - We then throw every single team into a giant season long chunkathon type playing format. Another possiblity is having to play against every race once before playing a second of the same race or something along these lines.

Then we come to some possible options.
A) The individual races then have a small KO-tourny(normal tourny?) with just their race in it. The overall winner is put into a premier league, with 2nd and 3rd place, possibly 4th depending on team numbers getting put into conferences. We could also possibly have all the 1st placed winners have another KO-tourny if we wanted premier to only be 8 teams.

B) Same again with the small same race tourny, except there is no premier league for the first season, the top ranking 2 or 3 teams of that race get spread across the conferences, with the winners at the end of that season making up a new premier.

Option #2 - We throw every single team into an enormous Swiss format tournament, obviously defeats cherry picking, and everyone has the same number of games. At the end, we take the best 2/3 coaches of every race and spread them into the conferences. Possibilty of 2 Swiss tournaments as that would a HUGE single tournament. Forfeiting teams all quickly get dropped to the bottom of the group where they can forfeit each other and in the later rounds, all the winning teams play each other (I am told this is the nature of Swiss Format).

Obviously there are tons of little details that need working on, and of course, if your two teams both somehow manage to make it to the conferences, you only get to choose one, your other team getting demoted to the swamp and the other teams within that race obviously moving up in ranking.

Now I realise that obviously alot of people have put some serious time, effort and patience into their current SWL teams, I am no exception, you might possibly have heard of my team The Smashers over the last 6 seasons they have been competing. But considering how everyone has been saying for quite awhile how unbalanced SWL has become, i'm quite happy to make a sacrifice for the sake of a better playing environment.
You never know, something like this if advertised right could grab us a whole lot more coaches. People who might have found it too daunting to join in such an established league with enormous teams at the top.

Also, to those of you who dont like having your choice of teams restricted, this was how it was done in the olden day of SWL, I myself only had a choice of 3 races when I first joined. Considering the seemingly constant influx of newish coaches we have, its quite likely you would be able to drop your 2nd team at a later date and pick up another race you prefer if you so wish and neither of your races you actually like.

Okay, these are all ideas, dont get upset please, its not like the admins are going to retire your teams tomorrow because of 1 coaches comments, and even if this idea got overwhelming support, I seriously doubt it would get implemented for quite awhile. I dont want any Negative comments, if you think something here is wrong/stupid/bad, think of a better alternative/idea on how we can fix this inbalance in the SWL currently and post THAT instead.

And if enough of you decide, "no, I dont want to retire my team", and noone else can come up with an idea of how to fix the problem, I guess there shouldn't be anymore complaints on the unfairness of all the "bashiness" in SWL.

Cheers All
Sandy - Your friendly loveable twit of a coach
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2005 - 07:25 Reply with quote Back to top

In some ways I am all for it!

But I continue to wonder why we need all this "development" time before we "start". Let's assume for one second that a massive charge rolls through the Southern Wastes and wipes out every existing team...into the void wander the souls of coaches who need teams to sastify their need for order in this wasteland. At this point a race choice method would be implemented (I like the idea of a "choosey sides" based on seniority of some description). Then we simply divide all interested parties into divisions. All equal...no Premier league in this formative season...Then after season 1 all goes back to normal except for a Premier div. Winning teams go to "conferences" and the rest into regionials. Season 2 goes its merry way..and at the Start of season 3 we have a Premier league and all the rest.

Again...I am sure I have overlooked many little details...but I am not one who worries much about the "bashiness" of SWL. It is what it is...until LRB 4.0 (or vault...or whatever) finally redresses the inbuilt imbalances of things such as fouling and armour/injury roll skills descrepincies (dp, piing on, claw etc)

I think of all the things to consider in any re-formatting of this fine outastanding league is simply involvment. Finding coaches who don't forfeit and stick it out to the end of each season is the key. A lot of new coaches come in excited...and leave too soon. Qpool is fun...and has its advantages...but I have always quietly been against "pre-heated" teams. Bring in a new team and deal with it. I for one will play the Black Crowes until they just can't be played (or a massive lightning bolt wipes all of us out Wink ) Then I will get me a new squad. Under current rules I have to develop them through the pool...but until we change that what else can one do?
My expectation is to one day (if we never change) have a heap of teams who have never tasted conference play over in the vetrens league. And to continue to nurse into old age a balding herd of goats who never saw the glory they deserved.

PS: Boooooooooo Covert! Wink ( until Season 9 commences)

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2005 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

It's definitely an interesting idea.

Another would be to put a limit onto the number of seasons any team can spend in the Conferences and Premier - I'd say 3 or 4 would be about right. It wouldn't be too hard to keep track of either - just use the scores at the side to indicate it, just as we currently do for where a team is actually playing.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2005 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

it'd get the Vet's league moving along.. maybe stick it to 5 with the proposed regional/conference/premier division..

I like it.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Something that's been mildly annoying for a while, chasing the ever-growing tail of SWL's forum threads!

Does anyone know of a setting somewhere on fumbbl that will automatically put the threads into reverse with newest posts at the start?

For the moment I'm just using a hand edited bookmark that'll do for the swl forum:

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4055&postdays=0&postorder=desc

The ever-flappable Snorri.
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Well...I have had my first taste of Chunkathon and it has left a bittersweet residue that I am not fond of at all. While cleaning up some bizness and browseing the forums a daring young SWL'er challanged the Black Crowes to a match. Needing one to reset a GOLDEN BOOT winner for Season 9 I said "sure" with no look to see who we were playing. Alas it turned out to be a Skaven squad, who had a bit of TR (always going to be less..the Herd has the highest TR in the SWL) but not nearly enough AV Wink We never intended to be mean..but with a whole team with MB even a casual block promised to be painful. As it was we only threw 24 blocks...thats 1.5 per turn...and still caused 1/1/1 in cas count. Not to mention a heap of KOs. Playing against the numbers caused him more pain as failed dodges and 2D against blocks went wrong.
We thought the karma of the situation would see us add 2 more niggles for the 2 CWs that earned skills...but with the GREAT UNSEEN having tea with Nuffle it turns out they each rolled a double and of course didn't niggle. (oh...they took a Claw and a +ST respectively Wink )
As a self inflicted penalty the Black Crowes will no longer take part in the Chunkathon (with the exception of a grudge match against the Wicker Men if it comes to pass), decries the system as being prone to abuse (even if unintended) and reminds everyone in the eventual conference we are assinged to that we are large and angry! So you better tool up! Wink

See you in Season 9!!!

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Snorri I always use the "view newest posts" link next to the topic's name (normally a small orange square with an arrow). Then the thread length is pretty irrelevant.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2005 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Quick post before i go to bed...

An announcement is coming re "re-balancing" the SWL... but more than likely for Season 10 than 9...

Details are sketchy, but if the admins can please check their emails, they will get a gist of the discussion to date...
PLATYPUS

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2005 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Sandunes idea a bit.

race restriction is a must for the SWL and should remain.
I like the idea of having one agile team and one bashy one. That would teach some players how to play better BB. There are quite a few players whoonly play one sort. "Know your team and your opponent better" is the way to success.

PLATYPUS
theopacman

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2005 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem I see with 'one bashy team and 1 agile team' is working out which teams are agile and which are bash for the middle of the road teams. i.e. Humans Lizards Skaven etc.. that can all be playd either way?

My thoughts are along the lines of Matching teams of opposing tactics

eg If you play Khemri then your other team must be Woodies
If you play Chaos then either darkies or High Elves
Orc = human
Norse = Skaven etc........
(not a lot of thought went into the above matchings as it is only intended as a kick start to conversation)

that way players can't pick say Khemri with 4 Dirty players
then pick Skaven as their other team and go The mutation route and 4 Dirty players also.

Just another thought
Sp00n

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2005 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Wood elves can be the nastiest foulers in the game, doesnt matter what team you are you can't stop fouling.
DoubleSkulls

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2005 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

You should see my faction woodies. +30 cas in 11 games. Lots of that thanks to the tree, but the DP chips in too.

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2005 - 08:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Appears some moronic cretin has decided it would be monumentally amusing to delete all the entries from the Hall of Fame. I guess this simply reaffirms my incredibly lofty expectations of people. Something I'd hoped we could avoid with the swl being a pretty good bunch and also obscure enough to the rest of the world.

So...I like the hof but I'm going to have to learn some webmaster tricks to keep things up more reliably. Dont worry about adding or re-adding to the hof for now, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Snorri.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2005 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, changes to the Hall of Fame!

You can no longer modify or delete entries, so when entering your player, take care to get the name and links right. If you do for some reason need to modify an entry, send me a PM. If anyone would like to take on the responsibility of handling modifications and just in general maintaining the Hall of Fame (should be a very minimal once in a blue moon task) via the old web interface, please let me know.

Feel free to re-add your players at your earliest convenience. I'll see if I can also add some that I remember in between playing games. My apologies for not having a recent enough backup for this. I've now got it backing up automatically so restoration of the databases in the future shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers,
Snorri.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2005 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Theopacman has bravely volunteered to help maintain the Hall of Fame page and hopefully the coming SWL Records page. If you make a mistake entering your player and need to modify the details, send PM's to Theo!

Cheers and thanks Theo.
Snorri.
 Jump to: