44 coaches online • Server time: 14:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you want to keep the current Qpool system
Yes, the current system is perfect, the newbies can just live with it
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
No, I like the new ideas, and think they will work well
82%
 82%  [ 29 ]
Other - I have another idea, and it goes like this...
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

chunky04

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The admins have been looking at Qpool for a while, as it has not
really been achieving the objectives it is supposed to achieve. Qpool
has as its main intention a place for newbies SWLers to get some games
in to show they have the commitment and enthusiasm needed for league
play. Somewhere along the line however, it has become more of a place
for veterans to get extra games in, while the newbies end up left
behind with regards to team rating, whether there was a TR cap
involved or not.

We have been debating this for a while, and have come up with the
following proposal for Season 10:

A new Qpool ladder division, with no advancement of teams. This format
allows the TR difference problems of getting games for the newbies to
be solved for sure, but the format itself may not be very popular. To
provide some incentive for coaches to play in the Ladder and give the
newbies a game, we will be creating some wildcard spots at the top of
the TR100 draft, to be given to the people who finish top of the table
in Ladder league.

Qpool and Vets will partially merge and transform into one big SWL
Affiliate Leagues group page. We will run a massive Open Round Robin,
where players may have as many teams as they like. It essentially
allows players to just play lots of games like the current Qpool
format. This will also have the benefit of moving the behemoth that is
the Qpool table off the main SWL page, hopefully making it download
twice as fast. Moving it elsewhere also gives us the flexibility to do
quick KO tourneys, try out some wacky ideas etc. A proper veterans
league running on that page will still be a strong possibility for
example.

So the idea of this poll is, what do you think?

Do you want to keep the current qpool system?

We would ask that if you intend to answer other, that you have a full
and well thought out alternative. Stating that you don't like such and
such an aspect is not as productive as saying I would prefer this sort
of system, then explaining it in detail.

Note that if these changes were to be implemented, it would not be until Season 10. The current policy document would still reflect the intentions for this season.
Twahn

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL page twice as fast? Does that mean we have to play two games a week? Razz

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
whitey

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Non-progression sounds the perfect option so that coaches who play all the time can keep playing new guys, without bothering the admins. Qpool games were drying up, but I like this idea alot. I think old qpool/vets team aren't that important in the scheme of things, as long as we have a good system for the main league then its a good system.
Covertfun

Post   Posted: May 23, 2005 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

we can add this ladder thang to the current Qpool - that's a great idea. However, if Qpool died, I would be very sad - it is a great place for new coaches to come and play and meet some wrinkly stick-arounds like me Smile

further, it will adopt the role left uncovered by a non-progression ladder - putting skill choices into practice. So long as we don't stop providing things for the new coaches to do as they arrive in the swl, I think we're doing more or less everything right Very Happy

for that matter, I'm calling out Loyter for a game some time! no new coach to the swl ought to be without a couple of pre-season games, and I want to know which whippersnapper is coming up the ranks to force the demotion of my beloved Wicker Men!
chunky04

Post   Posted: May 24, 2005 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW, a bit of clarification seems to be order. When I say Qpool and Vets would be merging and transforming, I mean they would both be on the same group page, not the same open round robin (or other format) tournament. Now that Qpool iwould be effectively unlimited and there would be no reason apart from boredom to discard a Qpool, Vets would become a fully fledged Divisions only tourney.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Who would play in the ladder division? What sort of comp would it be? Round Robin style? You need to be able to slot teams in easily.

I cannot see myself playing in a non-progressive comp... But i rarely play qpool anyway.
chunky04

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be Open Round Robin gumbi - and slots could fairly easily be created the same way they are now - via admins dummy teams.

We realise there may be issues with motivation in the Ladder style tourney, which is why we have the incentive of a wildcard Draft spot in there to give people a reason to play in there, which should hopefully be enough to ensure newbies can get a game.

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good to me. Hopefully it will mean more qpool game opportunities so I won't have to play Ranked.
BeefyGoodness

Post   Posted: May 25, 2005 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I am the goon who had another Idea... well really it is an addendum to the proposed changes which btw I am all for.
It has been stated (I think) elsewhere that the main problem is interest. In my opinion the SWL has been making good changes in the design of the system yet I find myself feeling that there could be something more. Rewards Smile There needs to be interesting rewards. A great example of these rewards are: The Pro Bowl - I feel that this could be utilised amazingly well to generate more coach involvement and larger interest. Another reward possibility are these instant KO tourneys that chunky04 has hinted at upon successful retirement home shipping of the qpool behemoth.
My 2 cents - If this isn't valid please tell me why....it's the only way i'll learn Wink

Go the Count!
Longshanks

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm happy to go along with whatever is decided and anything that promotes more games is fine with me. But ......(c'mon you knew there was going to be a but) I'm not a fan of non-progression. One of the reasons I like fumbbl, more than just playing on tabletop, is you get the chance to skill up your team a lot more; no progression is like role-playing without gaining experience/levels.

I don't have any better alternatives to offer, so while I vote for the change, I'm not entirely convinced.

Would there be any race restrictions? It seems to me a TR100 pool with no progress/no death is likely to lead to a predominance of teams with cheap positional players. A starting Ogre team has not much to recommend it if you can choose zon's or norse who all have starting skills. Won't we just wind up with a lot of the same kind of teams ? On the plus side I suppose there's not much incentive to play Khemri or Chaos either Smile
Snorri

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

See if I can reliably surf the wavelength the rest of the admins are on. Sometimes difficult to keep track of, specially with so many changes to the League in the last season. Things are looking up though, so we should be able to look forward to a couple of good seasons of stability before the SWL mutates again!

As far as I can remember, the ladder concept is designed purely so that new guys can get in and show some commitment to the SWL and for bb newbies (even bb vets on the tabletop often find bb online difficult due to the sheer experience fumbbl'ers rack up) to pick up some tricks. So I expect it'll mostly be populated by coaches who are lining up for their first season and some more experienced coaches who are willing to have the odd relaxing social game with them. By being non-progressive, it should consist of a group of players that new coaches can immediately find games with (at the moment, the few playing much qpool have disparate TR gaps making it hard for the new TR100 teams to find games) as everyone will be on the same TR.

For building up teams you will still have the qpool area but moved to the SWL Vet's page under a different name. It will still be as it is now, an unlimited TR pool - aka SWL ranked. So you will not be missing out on any of the joys of skilling up a team in a sociable 'ranked' style environment without the constraints of divisional play. There is also the SWL vet's division for further opportunities once you become exactly that, an SWL vet.

As for Beefy's ramblings...I concur! Wild card for the ladder group, competitions for the privelege of coaching Pro Bowl teams etc...etc. Do you have any brilliant ideas other than the idea of having an idea though Beefy? Wink

Snorri
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: May 26, 2005 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes to concur with Snorri, the Ladder / Non Progression Pool is IN ADDITION to QPool!

So QPool will carry on (but on a different page) but you NOW get more for your $$$*

So yes, you may not be a "fan" per se, but whats stopping you from entering...

* Note - $$$ = zero!
annachie

Post   Posted: May 27, 2005 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Since I rarely play in the pool these days, I kinda like the non-progression idea for the occasional time I might want too.

I've also been thinking of team design in suck a format.

ff1 natch, or 0 if it's allowed

Probably no apo's either. 50k better spent on that 12th player who is guarenteed to be available Smile

Elf teams with only 1 positional player. 2 in a pinch.

rerolls at a premium for lots of teams.

Probably lots of Norse teams too as block will be at a premium.
ozjesting

Post   Posted: May 27, 2005 - 02:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to back up the post on SWL Season 9..."Ladder" is indeed a misnomer. There is nothing laddery about it and I apoligise that it was ever referred to as such Wink It is a "non-progresive open round robin" As such you need to create a [U] team and submit it to the proper page. And annachie is correct...bring your best front loaded team...no reason for FF9 here Wink (ps: FF 1 is a requirement of the LRB...there is always one Mum who wants to watch her little beastman play) Also note that there are to be NO STAR PLAYERS. Or wizards for that matter.

But may I also counsel that while it seems attractive (and safe) to bring the Norse et al...why not be creative and try out something a little riskier! This league will hopefully be a nice place to practise/discover/learn/invent new and bold tactics. I would think if you just bring a whack machine you will get little from it. But I am looking forward to finding out!

Post   Posted: May 27, 2005 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Bugger about the no star players but im sure i will have fun with my Gobbos "Shock Effect" anyway < assuming he approvers dont do something silly > 14 gobbos 16 turns, hmmmm the math doesna add up......ah well Gobbos Away!!!

Where do we sign em up?

Jump to: