23 coaches online • Server time: 02:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are you interested in the Casual Play Group?
Yes...sign my team up already!
62%
 62%  [ 25 ]
I would never join such a group
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Compulsory option C: I am Macavity. (if this gets more than just one reply, I will remove it from my future polls :P )
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 40

Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Today I thought of an idea which has lots of potential IMO: making a Casual Play Group into Unranked division.

Here are the main concepts of the Casual play Group:

1) Any Unranked team of any TR and any race is free to join the Casual Play Group

2) Casual Play Group members are free to play matches versus opponents from either inside or outside the Casual Play Group when they are not participating in an active CPG tournament. There are no restrictions: the teams can be put into the Gamefinder if the coach so chooses.

3) From time to time, there are themed tournaments in the Casual Play Group that are open to Casual Play Group member teams only. Examples:
-Elf teams only, under TR 150 Round Robin
-a Swiss tourney that lasts the whole day
-a non-progression stunty team TR 100 Open Round Robin
-TR 150 and under KO tourney
-TR 200-250 Round Robin
-Bashers United, a tourney for TR 175 and above Chaos, Khemri, Nurgle, Ogre and Skaven teams that gives extra points for casualties made
-TR 100 Swiss

4) The Casual play Group is going to have as many staff members as possible. We are speaking of 20-30 staff members. Each staff member is given free hands to arrange tournaments in the Casual Play Group. Each staff member is also allowed to accept teams into the Casual Play Group. This way, if someone has a bunch of friends he can invite them to the group, arrange a tournament and fill in the empty spots by voluntary group members to get into, say, 8 or 12 players or so

5) The group will have its own IRC channel, #casual on irc.fumbbl.com Coaches are free to join the channel to have discussions, look for matches and spectate others' games. The channel will also feature an IRC bot made by me to fulfill the needs of the Casual play Group (d6, 2d6, random pairings, etc. etc.)

6) If a Casual Play group team wishes to join some other Unranked tournament group, e.g. OrcaCola, they are free to leave the group if they are not in an active CPG tournament

Why create a Casual Play Group?

Many coaches are complaining that finding Unranked games is difficult. There is always OrcaCola but not all guys want to play in tournaments because they might be online and offline inconsistently (especially during the summer!) or have a difficult time zone. Gamefinder is one possibility but that solves the problem only for one match...might be hard to find another high TR opponent afterwards. But if there was a group which offers both casual play and high TR Unranked tournaments from time to time...I bet many coaches would just love it. Smile

If you guys know some people who might be willing to join, advertise a little...and if you know decent TOs without their own league, here's their chance Wink

Edit:
The group has been created!
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=2527

Last edited by Karhumies on %b %22, %2005 - %12:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that vote is mine, others are frauds. AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!! YES, I'm interested!!!!! Please make this happen and continue to furnish details! (also, play your ranked Necro team more so my namesake can become a legend) Thank you so much (and all the staff-to-be)

And someone tell Shepherd about this, it's a dream come true for him!

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Well, that vote is mine, others are frauds. AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!! YES, I'm interested!!!!! Please make this happen and continue to furnish details! (also, play your ranked Necro team more so my namesake can become a legend) Thank you so much (and all the staff-to-be)

And someone tell Shepherd about this, it's a dream come true for him!

The group does not exist yet. I will first make sure people are interested in a thing like this and try to get some publicity. Then I will create it. Smile

Macavity

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

It will! It must! Somehow! In anticipation of this starting, can I request a Curling format Tourney?

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

<Double post> Oopsie?

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 19:44 Reply with quote Back to top

That macavity fraud wannabee is lying! even though he may look, talk and have the nick of macavity, i am the real macavity. Don't look at nicks. I swear i am the real macavity!

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Many coaches are complaining that finding Unranked games is difficult. There is always OrcaCola but not all guys want to play in tournaments because they might be online and offline inconsistently (especially during the summer!) or have a difficult time zone.

Actually I dont see this as being much different from Orca. Especially if you have your own tournaments inside it. I also don't think just because you are signed up in this group, that will necessarily make it easier to find U games. Just IMO

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Quote:

Many coaches are complaining that finding Unranked games is difficult. There is always OrcaCola but not all guys want to play in tournaments because they might be online and offline inconsistently (especially during the summer!) or have a difficult time zone.

Actually I dont see this as being much different from Orca. Especially if you have your own tournaments inside it. I also don't think just because you are signed up in this group, that will necessarily make it easier to find U games. Just IMO

If (well, more like when Wink) a huge load of coaches join both the group and the group channel, it should become easy to find a match by coming to the #casual channel. As it is, #fumbblunranked is quite dead.

Also, by taking a look at the group page, you can quickly see what coaches are online at the moment and what teams have they got to play with in Unranked. They might not always bother to put their U teams into Gamefinder but that doesn't prevent you from suggesting an Unranked match using a PM. There will also be more coaches than are in your buddy lsit, giving you a bigger "close circle" of players you can ask to play with you.

Last edited by Karhumies on %b %21, %2005 - %20:%Jun; edited 2 times in total
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like the idea. The part in which it differs from Orca Cola is that new tourneys of any kind can be started whenever the coaches feel like it so they don't have to wait for the next 175-200 tourney to be organized by the arrangers. This being said Orca-Cola Cup is one of the better ideas when it comes to tournaments out there.

It also means that tournies that start would most likely already have the coaches it need without having to look for them.
Ironik

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

more the 2 Karhumies
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

RedFish wrote:
I really like the idea. The part in which it differs from Orca Cola is that new tourneys of any kind can be started whenever the coaches feel like it so they don't have to wait for the next 175-200 tourney to be organized by the arrangers. This being said Orca-Cola Cup is one of the better ideas when it comes to tournaments out there.

It also means that tournies that start would most likely already have the coaches it need without having to look for them.

Yes. The main emphasis would be on casual play and casual tournaments.

-There is no CR involved as in Ranked tournies
-Each tournament organiser can make his own rules (e.g. Elfbowl tourney, wizards are allowed but stars are not or Khemri only, no wizards or stars allowed, or Goblin/Goblin Cheaters only and all teams have to hire a Fanatic for round 1), so it isn't as strict as the big tournaments around
-Most of you know the 4vs4It group, right? Why not make a quick 4 team KO tournament with regular 11-player teams if you all got some spare time on your hands?
-The teams are allowed to play friendly games between tournaments without having to leave the group
-People can challenge each other into battle on the channel! Stuff like "You won tourney X, I wanna take 'em on!" Very Happy

In other words, this will not be serious, it will be fun. I think that is the main difference to most other tournament groups out there. People come to Casual play Group to have a good match and good time, not to win and curse Nuffle for double skulls (well, you can always curse double skulls Wink).

Also, if someone wants to make a more serious tournament, that is possible. Although I think the serious guys will create their own groups so they can control everything. Very Happy

Mully

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Edit : I posted this before Karhumies put in his post from above. I can see where he wants a league with a little different attitude than the rest. But I kept my post below to plug my league.

Quote:

If (well, more like when ) a huge load of coaches join both the group and the group channel, it should become easy to find a match by coming to the #casual channel. As it is, #fumbblunranked is quite dead.

Also, by taking a look at the group page, you can quickly see what coaches are online at the moment and what teams have they got to play with in Unranked

I love your enthusiasm and creativeness in coming up with new ideas, so don't take this as me pissing on your parade. But if I wanted to find an open U game (really wanted to) and my options are :

1) Put the team on game finder or
2) Join your group, join a new channel, possibly send an online coach a PM to play

Why on earth wouldnt I just choose option #1. I mean "FUMBBL" is the largest group for open U play anyway right? It's like you're creating a smaller sub-group which is intended to give a larger range of choices. And that doesnt make sense.

And IF you would rather play tourneys, than you have the highly successfull Grudge League, Orca Classic, and newly formed Champions Cup Challenge for those who can play 24:00- 6:00 BB time.

(shameless plug inserted)

I think it would make more sense to do what Acnhorhead originally had in the Orca Group. And that was continuous open play within the group. Wins against other Orca group teams earned you points within the Orca standings.

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems like a good idea and I'd be interested. However, I do agree with Mully on some parts. It does seem like you're trying to reinvent the unranked division.

I do however like the idea of instant tourneys in unranked, but I question the amount of support you would get for it. It seems that even instant ranked tourneys struggle from time to time.

Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, the group will become what coaches want it to become like. If no one wants ITs, there won't be any ITs, right?

IMO variety is the key here.

Some slightly more "hidden" motives I had when I suggested this:

-a group like this could possibly lure in players who normally play only single matches. If they find tournaments fun and interesting, they can move over to OrcaCola or Grudge League *cough Wink*, if they like that. No one's stopping them!

-the group could be a stepping stone for new coaches who want to try out hosting a tournament but don't know how to...creating a new group always requires lots of promoting and here would be others helping them out in the beginning, as well as some players eager to join the tournament without promoting. If the touranment succeeds, the coach in question can make his own group and move on there.

-really strange tournament ideas could be tested out as ITs or small tournaments. something you aren't sure if it is worth its own group or not. It the idea works, go ahead...make your own group. You got a handful of coaches in already. Smile

Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2005 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

One method of making the group would of course be making it based on single matches and have the tournaments as an additional extra...keep the tournaments small with a very occasional big one fitted in.

This way we would avoid comparison to OrcaCola, Grudge League *cough*join Grudge League*cough*, and the others.

Jump to: