50 coaches online • Server time: 17:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of this group idea?
Love It! I'm in as soon as you make it!
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Sounds like fun for the community, but not for me
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
It might be ok if you.... (Explain below)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Worse than MrMojo's spam!
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
I swore I would castrate myself with a garlic press before playing against Macavity
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Telcontar

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm see my first post... Anyway that were my 5 cents i voted for --It might be ok if you.... (Explain below)

EDITH: And a hill gets wider if you reach the bottom --> narrow on top

Fluffwise that was meant

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe you'd get the bump-effect in Tel's suggestion too...

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

jumping up in rank: chalenging more than 1 rank hihger
and that leads to certain amount of cherripicking
like playing only the shoft side of a piramid
and piramid would lead to a problem: what if you challenge someone hihger and are chalenged by a lower team (the repeating matches rule don't prevent that in piramids)
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Macike! THANK YOU! See how he looked at it and decided he liked Ladder better? Not just assumed that he understood without reading Wink

What a man! Razz

I read it.

Still sounded like Ladder, I can read it again, but it will sound the same Razz
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL! I guess I'll work on my language skills, then. Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

@Duke
Ladder lets you challange anyone with more ladder points ..
here you can only challange the guy straight above

Ladder has no consequence if you dont accept challenge you will loose no ladder points just challenge points
here you would drop a level

@nin
sure you will pick the guy that looks easiest to win but thats the same everywhere on fumbbl im not going round and looking for games for my Zons and pick some Dorks
If you loose cose you are challenging only soft woodies with your orcs you wont be able to challenge them again for x games
As soon as one has issued a challange the admin need to update the group page (yeah lots of work there) so you can see who is free for a challange and who is not

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
Macavity wrote:
Macike! THANK YOU! See how he looked at it and decided he liked Ladder better? Not just assumed that he understood without reading Wink

Still sounded like Ladder, I can read it again, but it will sound the same Razz

To be well understood. I fully agree with DukeTyrion that it sounds like Ladder. Furthermore I would like to add that the Ladder seems a better idea for me.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't work as a system for many different reasons:

-hard monitoring

-TR difference: you start the tournament and reach the top quickly: you have a low TR. Another coach storms to the top quicker=> more TR.
Same problem: you played a long time, ups and down, the new coach will still be interested in beating a long cap?

-afk: coach number 6 is afk for 20 days: nobody can go over or under him

and so on...

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

@ sk8bcn To answer your points in order: -hard monitoring. I know, It scares me, but I'm willing to try.

-TR difference. Part of the fun!!! It's all about holding the crown, whether you should or not!

-AFK I would probably take Tel's advise about default wins for the challenger.

-and so on.... Yeah? You to! And your dog! Razz

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I kinda like the pyramid idea (on the top 5 levels) for the following reason:
It allows for a mechanism, where bashiest isn`t best and all teams make sense to chose.

You`d just have to add one rule:
You cannot ever ever play against the same team more than once. That means, that you are forced to play to win and cannot siege your way to the next level by maiming over and over again until you will eventually win.

Let me explain further:
Imagine you are coaching "Teh uba bashaz" a very mean orc team with 11 MBs and as much DPs. You are reaching lvl 3 and both lvl2s are woodies/skaven. Naturally, as you have no ball-skills (throwaz are for teh weak) you lose to both of them. Then you are essentially stuck on lvl3 and have to fight to stay there, UNTIL someone else from lvl3 manages to win against lvl2, giving you another shot to advance to lvl2.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I could be convinced to go with the Pyramid scheme. Could one of you guys explain how you'd see it setting up, originally? I get how it runs, but I'm shaky on that. Detail it for my addled brain.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

How I would do it:
Simply wait for the first 10 applications to come in. Match them up randomly and let them play one game, then fill them into the pyramid in the order of most TDs scored. Tiebreakers are Win/Tie/Loss, then TR (the lower the better), then cas, then cointoss.

After that you can start a new lvl every time you have 5 (+number of retired teams) newcomers, who will train on their way up.

I would limit the lvl size to five. You might think about having a bottom lvl (10?) with an unlimited amount of teams.

If a team retires, the next one to score a tie why challenging up to that lvl will make it (opposed to needing a win to go up). Obviously the king of the hill may not retire. If by retirement a whole lvl is eliminated, then the first team challenged and only making a tie goes down (without the challenger going up).

Example:

One team retired on lvl 3. Next time one lvl 4 team challenges and only ties the lvl3 team, it will go up. If now the other 2 teams on 3rd lvl retire, then every team is moved up one lvl. Making the thing look like this:
Now everytime a there is a match between 3 and 4, which results in a tie, the lvl 3 is demoted until there are again 3 teams on lvl 3. That way the overhang moves down in lvls until it hits the bottom.
Buur

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

well it seems like fun if it was with a limmited number of coaches that want to play regulary.... likke ladder with people in....
well count me in!

we could also get that goldfish vs black smurf thing settled....

-Buur

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I think I'll do it! I'll sit on the exact setup for a couple of days and then launch.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2005 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Forget the pyramid. This will work really well with a small number of like minded coaches. A maximum group of 10 would be sufficient. Who cares about technicalities such as TR its more about fun. If you made it last a set amount of dates - maybe two weeks and a rule that all coaches had to play at least one game every two days ( ? ) then it sound slike a hoot.

WHO's the KING ?

I'd be in - if the timescales suited.