67 coaches online • Server time: 19:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

XFL Norse coming up

The men from the North have always been a mysterious folk. Noone ever saw a female Norse and rumours say the Amazons of Lustria are those women who abandoned their men. The culture of Norsca is dominated by rather brutish rituals, men constantly trying to proof their toughness and courage.

Who has the toughest, hardest, most fearless and most enduring Norse team out there? Who can the upper hand in a figth among brothers? Can you lead your men to victory? Do they have what it takes? Come and prove it - Join Xfl Norse!

Teams who want to participate can apply to the group page until the tournament starts, Friday May 5th 2006. This is a weekly tournament so please make sure you are available to play during the week, so we don't get any delays. Only apply if you are willing to play all rounds, so we don't get any drop outs.

Last edited by Candlejack on %b %18, %2006 - %12:%May; edited 2 times in total
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

candle, it probably have been asked before, but where are the XLFs schedules?

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Candlejack wrote:
well.. i don't think i will stick to this schedule, and i won't put up one.. people will know about a week in advance what XFL will be up next. i hope that adds a bit spice to it

Candlejack wrote:
@drunken_master: as i said to uber, i understand the point, and i also said why i want to have a shorter preparation time. There are pros and cons for both. And for now i gonna try with about 1 week preparation time. Just have to see how it really turns out, and if needed it will be adjusted.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6633&highlight=xfl
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

since the schedule thing constantly pops up.. i want to run at least the next few XFLs with the current announcement scheme.. so no premade longterm schedule that will get published..

about the time conflict between XFLs and majors: there will always be some things that will interfere with an XFL, but if i put the XFL on hold for a whole month during qualifiers it might run dry and i don't want to risk that atm. Additionally i'm sure if i start an XFL one or two weeks after qualifiers are over people will moan that they did not have enough time to rebuild their teams. So it would be about 2 months off 1 month XFL.. that is not doable imo.
also i'm sure there will be a few who will moan that they would not have gone into the major with their team if they had known that an XFL for their race would start soon, i think here especially about teams that are not among the highest teams on all FUMBBL but among the highest of their race (like my chaos for example). So you can't satisfy everyone, and i for my part don't want to put up with tons of hassle about looking for the best timeslices when in the end about the same amount of people will moan about it..

this is the first series of official tournamenst i run, and i'm sure some things could be done better.. but i hope you see that i really thought my actions through, so please bare with me for now.. but if someone sees a real flaw in my assumptions or can prove that i'm wrong, please tell me..

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand your position and since i was the first to point out the conflict between UI and XFL in this case.... here is my adopted stance:

I like XFL being short notice as team harvesting should not be encouraged for these events. Show up and play.... that simple. That being said, i think XFLs should be scheduled away from qualifers as much as possible. Happening after a qualifier is one thing, even right after. Teams that qualify for a major won't play and not many coaches would really complain about that. Happening before qualifiers is a nightmare for coaches that now have to choose which to go for. Since the XFL locks teams up they simply can't try for a major.

The UI and GLT are famed for having IQTs...... this should make avoiding them fairly easy since a qualifier does not lock teams up. Scheduling XFLs around the time of the FC and Warpstone is a logistical nightmare for you CJ.

I would still love to see the starting date pushed back a week for the XFL Norse and i propose a radically different concept of the XFL altogether.....

1.) Increase the frequency of them altogether.
2.) Two at a time.

The reasons i say this is to create a title system for each of the races. So the winner of XFL Orc, if a coach was willing a create a special "trophy" for their team bio, would be considered that race's champion. Then have that title defendable almost as a fumbbl-smack where if 8 coaches of a race get together, they can fight it out to see who the new champion is.

XFL has the ability to branch into a championship system in its own right. I would love to see ideas regarding how that would be done.

__Synn
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

XFL has potential.. what i was thinking about is makeing a tournament between the XFL winners to get one overall XFL champion, though with 21 teams that is a bit of a problem to make a KO tournament.. still pondering about a way to pick the participants.. atm i think i gonna put up a certain deadline till which every XFL winner wil have to tell me IF the want to play in that overall tournament and then pick the 16 highest teams at that deadline.. but that's just a thought for now..

about delaying the Norse XFL, i really would not like to do that atm.. if i should see that we really don't get enough teams in by the current deadline then i gonna think about that.. but sometimes you just have to decide what tournament you want to play in and since the qualifiers last for a whole month no starting point would be really preferrable as i posted before.. same as with the unranked tournaments... you can't play in everyone you would like too, can you?

concerning to increase the frequency of XFLs or running several at once: atm i have enough to do to get one running at a time.. kicking some coaches arses because they don't stick to deadlines or to find out if someone dropped out or not.. and becuase these are Ranked tournaments all is a bit more tense than with some "normal" unranked tournaments.. so atm i don't feel like it would be a good idea to run more than one at a time..

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

The reason this hits so hard to me is the fact that XFL can be expected to be once a year per race. Now my Norse were originally built for the XFL in mind (they started once i saw the "proposed" schedule) but the chance to do something no other norse team has done is a great draw..... qualify for a major! If the XFL was bi-annually than it is a different story completely.

As for help.........there are people you can ask fool.......

I wonder who would be willing to help out Cool

BTW.... if it wasn't clear from the outset, ALL fumbbl coaches owe a great deal to the admins on the issues of tournies. The reason these threads come up highlight the level of importance we as players place on them. That should serve as the highest compliment Wink

__Synn
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2006 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

i knew that help point would come up :-p

as i said..i'm still trying to figure out how to do the stuff in a reasonable way for myself.. if i have someone else doing the same things in a different way at the same time.. that is no good as long as i don't have a suitable protocol for myself.. and experience from majors that got organized by a group of people showed that it usually leads to confusion and missjudgements..

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2006 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

excuse me.. but what is it with some people on this site? every time i announce a new XFL people apply with teams of already played XFLs.. just now i kicked an Amazon team that applied for the XFL Norse.. during the Amazon XFL several Chaos Dwarf teams applied.. and when XFL Chaos Dwarf was recruiting tons of Orc and Human teams applied.. please only apply with teams of the current race.. and this is Norse at the moment.. please.. it is not always easy to spot a team of a different race among 30 applying teams.. so think twice before applying..

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2006 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
I like XFL being short notice as team harvesting should not be encouraged for these events. Show up and play.... that simple.

???

ok, today I have a high elf team TR 145. Tell me next the next XLF is a high elf one and I'll play more games with them to catch up in TR. Don't tell me anything and I will continue at my usual pace (less R if I am in a stunty tournament, if many U tourneys are running, and so on..).

Now XLF HE will start soon. For me, it's a bye!!

Crap I already missed XLF chaos. Whatever you think, I won't enter with a team having 15 games under their belt, TR 175.

This non-scheduling penalizes me. That's how I feel

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I favour the non-scheduling system.

So coaches do not build a team which fits perfect to play against the same race.
In case of Norse, I would have skilled Blitzers with Guard, MB, Piling On all over and tons of Linos with Dirty Player. But this wouldn't be a "real" BloodBowl Norse team.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:

Crap I already missed XLF chaos. Whatever you think, I won't enter with a team having 15 games under their belt, TR 175.

sad to hear you think that way, but i think within a week someone can build up a team pretty good. and until now in almost every XFL there were several teams with rather low tr, and 175 is not THAT bad.

by the way, until now 9 norse teams haev applied

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Just 9?!

Men of the north, come out come out, wherever you are!
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Candlejack wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:

sad to hear you think that way, but i think within a week someone can build up a team pretty good. and until now in almost every XFL there were several teams with rather low tr, and 175 is not THAT bad.

by the way, until now 9 norse teams haev applied

well I may be biased but I entered the last major at TR 217:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1075908
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1083843
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1096380

it was nice.
I even did get in the qualifier semi with pro elves.
But TR 217. TR 175, I would have been dead.

I cannot decentely enter a chaos tournament at TR 175 when I will face Naama or synn and the other TR250 teams.

or TR 175 vs nandorins? yarr

in 1 week, I may at max add 4 games. I just wonder why people should create the perfect counter team.

Markusen, 2 DPs in your norses, and who will you be able to play? bashers? how to ready your team vs bashers? Are you going to say: ok I'll loose now to win the tournament?

well, I have a pro one that I might play. maybe the HE too if I reach TR 200 before it.

Yes I don't aim for 250+ teams

Just 200. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Markusen, 2 DPs in your norses, and who will you be able to play? bashers? how to ready your team vs bashers? Are you going to say: ok I'll loose now to win the tournament?

I just say that I have more chances to win XFL when I create a team just for this single tournament. In case of the up coming XFL Norse, best choice for a Norse team would be as bashy as possible, which is not very great vs other teams. Normally I do not have more than 1 DP in my teams at all. Also no Piling On skill. But if I know, that I will play only vs one race in a tournament, I can build a perfect counter team against my own race.

I.e. elves usually have a few Diving Tackle. If I know that I will play a XFL-Elf in a well known time, I rise a team with a huge amount of DT and Pass Blockers. Not very effective vs bashers or semi teams, but vs elves I will play for sure. If I do not know when a special XFL will be set up, I won't build such a team over a couple of weeks (I just have 5 ranked teams at the same time).
 Jump to: