56 coaches online • Server time: 21:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2019 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello DLE2.

This is one easy-to-scroll place to read each coach's current and updated opinion on rules discussions and upcoming votes in DLE2.

Please just post in this thread ONE TIME ONLY, and if you change your mind about an issue, please edit your post to reflect your new views on the subject at hand.

This is an official place to voice your issues, concerns, and speculations, so feel free to use your one post however you feel most useful. I submit that if you keep your points to 3 paragraphs or less, the entire thread will be easier to read.

The issue at hand:

Keep the same 14 Game Schedule for Season 5 (with 4 Divisions), or move to a 15 Game round-robin schedule, which renders the divisions meaningless.

Here is a preview of the official vote question. No need to vote now.. the official vote will start at the end of Round 7.

Next Vote Question (Pre-View Only)

A suggested inclusion in your comments, is your Give a Fudge factor on the current issue, on a scale of 1 to 10.

1: I care so little about this issue, I won't even follow this thread, and will probably forget to vote.
2: I don't much care about the topic. I might read, but don't have anything to add.
3: No strong feelings, but I will read and cast a vote.
4: I have a guess which option would be better, but I am not positive, nor overly concerned. I'll post a comment about my guess.
5: It's a decent topic and I will read, post, and vote with my preference.
6: I'm glad we are voting on this issue, as I think the league will be improved a bit by the outcome. (Or better off if we don't change anything)
7: This is an important issue and I will try and post an argument making the case for my preference.
8: This issue affects the league significantly and I very much hope my side wins. I will try and sway opinions to my side.
9: This is a critical issue and my side needs to win to fix a flaw in the league. I will really argue strongly.
10: This issue is critical and I will seriously consider leaving the league if the vote does not go my way.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2019 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

schedule:

fudge factor: 5.

I like the divisions and wouldn't want a 15 rounds of round-robin. I am allready in a league like that, and don't need another somewhat similar.
chimp2010

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2019 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

schedule:

fudge factor: 8

I wouldn't want to play in a large round robin league. I Like the divisions and think that the periodic division shuffle would be much better
bghandras

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2019 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

robin
fudge factor: 4

Honestly, to me the whole thing feels already as a robin. It is just complicated. I think such the divisional structure does not work very well with 16 teams. But as that complexity does not put more work on my plate i am not overly concerned. On the other hand when in doubt, and i would choose simplicity.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2019 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

fudge factor: 5

I like the divisions as is. Some kind of division shuffle every X seasons and it's good.
Sharkrudi

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2019 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

i like the division system.
mu proposal:
each season, keep the champion of each division and change all the others team of division.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2019 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker's Fudge Factor: 3

This is mostly a test of the voting system and process. I would be happy with either schedule system.

15 Games favors the top 8 teams, and ultimately, the top 8 coaches would be in the play-offs most seasons. The league possibly gets too predictable.

A 14 game schedule that shuffles the divisions every 4 seasons adds a touch of randomness and complexity, which is not hard to manage, and gives flavor. 3 guys might get beat on by the Brawlers for 4 seasons straight. But that is just life in DLE2 until someone helps foul away Andras' great stat rolls.

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2019 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the rivalries divisions can bring over a few seasons even if they are redrawn from time to time. Playing some people twice every year and others only every 2 does give different matches different feel. I think splitting the schedule up a bit keeps it feeling a bit fresher than 15 all in a row. Plus not knowing the match order for the run in as the season develops in the first part of the schedule brings some excitement that would be lost if it was just a 15 match round robin.

I would probably give this a 7 on the fudge factor.

Edit: I also agree with Murker on divisions with periodic redrawing being best to give more people more chances to make the playoffs.

DLE College 7s
Zoebugs

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2019 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I would enjoy it less without divisions but not that much less. As a real life example I was very disappointed when the MLB allowed inter-league play because it cheapened the World Series when the two teams had already played a series against each other in the regular season. Plus... two games per season against your division helps establish a true rivalry and rivalry games are super fun. I also think it's a mistake to re-shuffle the divisions every x seasons. Nobody feels sorry for the Browns because they had to play the Steelers and the Ravens twice every year. They just got better and now its extra special that they might be the best team in their division next year. That was a lot of American sports references but even if you don't follow American sports you probably got the context.

Fudge Factor = 5

EDIT: As an alternative to shuffling the divisions every X seasons I would propose that we do something like the NFL. You play your division rivals twice per season (6 games split between first half and second half) your league rivals once per season (4 games - split between first half and second half) the last 4 games (also split between first half and second half) could be matched up against the inter-league opponents with the most similar standings finish from previous season.
misterlonestar

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2019 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

FF = 4

Fine either way, but I prefer semi-regularly changing divisional structure.
 Jump to: