Disclaimer: This blog is about DLE - Draft League Europe
. Continue reading at your own peril. I will do this a bit in classic drama style. Rather telling the story in a normal way, i will use scenes.
Cast of characters
- Main character, the hero of this story. Later referred as Johnson.
General Manager - From now on, GM.
Broekwater Patriots Head Coach - From now on adressed as HC.
Broekwater Patriots Strength and Conditioning Assistant Coach - From now on adressed as S&C.
Scene1 - Draft6
Location: House of Johnson with friends and families
Anxiety level is high, as our hero was considered to be a likely top10 pick. But as names got called, and him not mentioned, family got frustrated. Finally at no12, a call happened. Pats GM was on the line, and informed Johnson that they are making a trade to get him.
Scene2 - Newspaper reader
Location: On the streets of Broekwater
A man is reading a local newspaper. Scanning through the local politics, then jump to the sport section. There is a big, framed section explaining the evaluation of this seasons top pick of his favorite team:
'pick recap 12 - David Johnson Catcher +AG/+ST There was a murmur around the league when the announcement went out that the Patriots had moved up at the last moment to snag a player this early! Surely not? A player outside the top 7? If so, it must be a talent that can retain value, be fed touchdowns and have a very obvious career development path? Oh David Johnson is still on the board? Well ok then.... Jests aside, a lot of teams around the league coveted Johnson as he started to tumble. Raw enough to not be versed in blocking but also very very coachable. Johnson can take the top off a defense but also be a monster to take down in the open field without help. Just another string to the bow for the Patriots who fell short in Season 6 to a division rival, who funnily enough, cannot ever find the time to actually field a catcher. We'll see how this one pans out but Johnson should really bother the scorekeepers immediately in Broekwater.'
Scene3 - HC briefing
Location: Guest dressing room at Brionne
HC is adressing players together and one by one a day ahead of the game
vs the Brionne Buccaneers
- HC: This is going to be a potentially big game. We have played 7 games this season, won 5, and ties 2. No loss. With a win here, we can secure 1st place in KFC through 9 rounds, right at round8. This is also a rivalry game, as these teams compete not only on the pitch, but also on the negotiation tables. Turns to GM.
- GM: Indeed, i need to compete them pretty often, but now it is your turn.
- HC: Right, so the game plan is this. (Opens a paper which looks like a convoluted map.) Everybody read the assignment, and report back to me f2f. Johnson, you are first.
- Johnson: Yes, coach!
- HC: You are shown potential (30 spp), and you are on the verge of taking the next step. Your job will be as follows. First, you will need to catch any ball coming your way. Then you need to find the endzone.
- Johnson: Sure, i will follow the team philosophy and will be smart with the timing.
- HC: I appreciate that you have mastered the concept of stall, but no. As soon as you can, score. The gameplan is different this time. Can you do that.
- Johnson: Yes, i will.
- HC: You also need to actively search for soft spots on the defense. Spots, where you can score from. Proactivity is expected.
- Johnson: I guarantee that, coach.
- HC: Very well. Your secondary job will be to support the special team operation. You will catch the ball from Bortles
, and deliver to Jenkins
, who will make a leap of faith.
- Johnson: Sure thing!
- HC: On your way out, send in Dupree
. He is next.
Scene4 - The surprise
Location: Somewhere in the empty Hightide stadium in Broekwater
A very excited strength and conditioning coach literally runs into a meeting of the headcoach.
- S&C: Boss, come down, emergency!
- HC: What is up?
- S&C: Come down immediately.
- HC: I have a meeting at the moment, very important.
- S&C: Trust me, you want to see this! Lets meet in the gym in 5 minutes. (Runs away.)
Scene5 - The revelation
Location: Gym in Hightide stadium
Johnson is lifting weight, while teammates surround him, and count loudly. They cheer and inspire, when headcoach enters.
- HC: Morning, what is....
- S&C: Johnson set a new personal record at pushups, and is setting a new personal record at weightlifting. If he continues with this pace, he will be exceeds Bortles, and will reach Chad
's record in 2 minutes!
- HC: Good stuff! Johnson, keep up the good work!
- GM: (enters the room as he followed HC from the meeting room) This is incredible. Turns to HC. We need to talk.
Scene6 - The rumor
Location: DLE Trade and Transfer market
Breaking news, it was just announced, that the Broekwater Patriots are shopping David Johnson.
Scene7 - Face to face
Location: HC office in Hightide stadium. HC and Johnson talk about the future.
- HC: You heard the trade rumors, it is true. GM believes you outgrew the role we envisioned for you. As you remember we wanted you to be our wardancer, developing wrestle, leap and tackle skills. I am really happy for your extra strength, but it threw a curveball to the plans...in a good way. Long story GM explores the trade market. He believes there is a chance another team might value you more than he does.
- Johnson: Do you agree with him?
- HC: Not really. I can see great potential for you on this team.
- Johnson: An...
- HC: Let me continue. It will be a long road. To make both ends meet, you will need to work even harder. On the other hand you will get more and more opportunities down the road, and your assignments will be more and more critical as well. Coming back to the long road. It is really really long. Most players never reach the end. Most can only dream to be a superstar, but not legend. The road here we call, as the quest for perfection. Are you up for it?
- Johnson: As always, coach.