33 coaches online • Server time: 12:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

For those that don't know, there is a bug with shadowing, where if you shadow a blitzer, he cannot make his block at the end of the blitz.

I play a lot of pygmy games, and it's proving to be very difficult and uncomfortable.

So I think like Vicius did with vamps, we need to come up with a site wide policy on how to handle shadowing & blitzes.

I can think of 2 alternatives, if you can think of any more, or decide which is the better, please input.

1. (Very Simple) A shadowing player cannot shadow a blitzer.

2. (Not so simple) A shadowing player cannot shadow a blitzer. However if the blitzer can make a blitz on his intended target, by avoiding the shadower (even if this makes the path harder) he should take the avoiding path.

1 is very clean and simple, however a little unfair on shadowing players. 2 seems fairer to me, but leaves room for misunderstandings and messier situations.

Input please.
Synn

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

3.) If a shadowing player successfully shadows a blitzer, the blitzer may not throw a block.

Same way old OFAB TDs were handled.
anisdrin

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

This is very difficult.

You cannot give a solution that cancels the shadowing skill. Why do you have to favor the blitzer over the shadower?

In my opinion the only solution is: Simulate the play in IRC with manual rolls and then decide what to do in the client.

Really difficult.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with Synn's option 3 is it doesn't matter whether the shadow attempt was successful or not. By me accepting to shadow, negates the blitz (I think for just the next square, but it could be the whole turn, I'm not sure).

Doing everything in chat, isn't an option. Not everyone uses chat, it slows down the game completely, and is open to mistakes, time outs that maybe illegal may not be illegal, differences in interpretation. In the perfect world it would be the best option, and with 2 chat users, a simple situation and 2 coaches who understand the rules, the best option. It maybe this can be used as an alternative, if both coaches agree. However I think we need a fix of some sort.

Last edited by harvestmouse on %b %23, %2013 - %15:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
f_alk

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it needs to be checked if just the attempt to shadow cancels the block after the blitz move regardless of the number moves, if it just stops the block after the next move, or if you need to have a successful shadowing and be next to the blitzer at the time of the block.

Until that is known any solution found now can turn out to be extremely unfair.

Last edited by f_alk on %b %23, %2013 - %15:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanJames

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadowing stops a blitz.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I think 1 is cleanest.

That's a horrible bug though...how is my opponent, who doesn't read many forums, supposed to react when I tell him "Oh, you can't use your Gutter Runner to shadow my Flesh Golem blitzer, because it's against site rules"...

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Is this bug 100% of the time?

Also, does it stop you blitzing anyone or just the player who is shadowing you?

I'm not certain (can't watch the replay atm) but I believe in this game a few times I tried to shadow the leaping Slann blitzers and they were still able to blitz, which would suggest it does only stop you blitzing from the next square.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hopefully I can get it stickied. Also with an extra line "Coaches are advised/Coaches should inform opposing coaches of the correct protocol when using shadowing before the match starts."

Obviously, this isn't something I want to do, but it can have a massive effect on the outcome of the match, and I can foresee the bug being used & skill being picked as a tactic.
Azure

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I dislike #1 honestly.

When there is a bug like this where there is no easy solution - then have to play it how the client has it implemented until it is fixed.

So, for now, shadowing is slightly more powerful. Of course if you know of the bug and your opponent does not - it is only sporting to inform your opponent at the start of the game if there are players with shadowing.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
1. Is this bug 100% of the time?

2. Also, does it stop you blitzing anyone or just the player who is shadowing you?

3. I'm not certain (can't watch the replay atm) but I believe in this game a few times I tried to shadow the leaping Slann blitzers and they were still able to blitz, which would suggest it does only stop you blitzing from the next square.

1. I believe so, but I've only recently been very aware of it.

2. Anyone.

3. I don't know the answer to this. However certainly - dodge out of tackle zone of shadower (shadow fails), dodging into tackle zone of blitz target. Will cause the bug.
baelnic

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

It really hurts Pygmies with your solution #1 because often times I use this to stop 2D blocks on the ball carrier or simply to mark a blitzer that I hope will be forced to make multiple dodges.
Smeesh

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

The only real clean way to handle that is to accept the bug (No Blizz at all) and fix it fast.

The mentioned options 1 and 2 are simply not practicable and will lead to a lot upseting.

Greetings

Smeesh
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Azure wrote:
I dislike #1 honestly.

When there is a bug like this where there is no easy solution - then have to play it how the client has it implemented until it is fixed.

So, for now, shadowing is slightly more powerful. Of course if you know of the bug and your opponent does not - it is only sporting to inform your opponent at the start of the game if there are players with shadowing.

I think it's more than slightly though, particularly if shadowing totally neuters the blitz attempt.

Example: Player A moves player in range of the TD. 1 of player B's has a chance of blitzing him. Player A covers this by marking player B's potential blitzer with a shadower, thus guaranteeing the score.

This, in my opinion is not right.
bigGuy

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2013 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

But not allowing to shadow is not right either. HM situation, shadowing player would force multiple dodges (including last one in TZ) and -2D blitz (assist from shadower)
 Jump to: