49 coaches online • Server time: 18:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ChangoLoco

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2007 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

This is quite possibly the most useful forum I've ever read on fumbbl. I recently received my copy of Ubuntu and haven't installed it yet - my intention is to setup a machine that my wife won't be using, primarily to play BloodBowl on, or as I explained to her, I need it for work.

Thanks to all who have offered insights --- good stuff!

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2007 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Jef wrote:
If anyone has the problem I had, then he should type:
$sudo update-alternatives --config java
Then select the java version you want to run.

This worked fine when I set things up at my Ubuntu computer.
But now I'm trying to get it to work at my Xubuntu laptop and it just won't!

Code:
There is only 1 program which provides java
(/usr/bin/gij-4.2). Nothing to configure.

The Sun Java seems to install nicely. It's in a folder under my user, but that's supposed to work, right? Anyone who has any idea what I missed?
ultwe

Post   Posted: Nov 03, 2007 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

MickeX wrote:
Jef wrote:

Code:

The Sun Java seems to install nicely. It's in a folder under my user, but that's supposed to work, right? Anyone who has any idea what I missed?

Well this is what I did on my penguin box (java 1.6 by default):

Installed Java 1.5

created a symbolic link in my jbb folder to my java 1.5 install
Code:

cd /your/jbb/directory
ln -s /path/to/your/jre java

then created a text file called bbowlLauncher

entered the following in that file:
Code:

cd /your/jbb/directory
./java -jar Bbowl.jar

made the launcher executable
Code:

chmod +x bbowlLauncher

Afterward, just need to call the launcher to get Bbowl.

hth

Ult

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
TheGonk

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody having any sound issues? I'm on ubuntu gutsy, and only get sound maybe 1/4-1/3 of time (the system sound is fine, I can play an MP3, I just don't get block sounds, cheers, or anything else from the client). Adjusting the volume in client (when I can actually open the menu) doesn't fix it.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

MickeX wrote:
Jef wrote:

Code:

update-alternatives needs to be made aware of it. If you just downloaded sun's java from sun and unzipped it somewhere, it will have no way of knowing its actually on your system. If you get it from the repository though, the maintainer will make sure he does that for you (unless he stuffed up).

Anway, its easy to let update-alternatives know of its existence. You just need to run

sudo update-alternatives --install <few arguments here>

I can't remember the arguments off the top of my head (am on my gentoo box atm). One of them is the path to your java executable, and another the name you want to give that alternative - just have a quick gander on the ubunut wiki/forum or the man page to figure it out.

Hope it helps.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

TheGonk wrote:
Anybody having any sound issues? I'm on ubuntu gutsy, and only get sound maybe 1/4-1/3 of time (the system sound is fine, I can play an MP3, I just don't get block sounds, cheers, or anything else from the client). Adjusting the volume in client (when I can actually open the menu) doesn't fix it.

Could be due to the client not letting you share the sound device. Is something else using the sound device when you start jbb?
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

You have sound? Wink

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
You have sound? Wink

Shocked

JavaBB is totally incomplete without the sounds. The RIP noise is especially funny.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
mighty_scoop

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2007 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

TheGonk wrote:

Yes that's a linux ( ubuntu ?!?) problem ... the bbclient uses the whole audio server ... means, that if you have another audio device running (like mp3, video, etc.) before starting the client, then you won't have the client sound ... if you don't have any sound device running before you start then you will have sound, but your audio device is busy for any other sound application (including a second bb match) ... i guess with starting a new audio daemon (like artsd) at every client start could solve the problem ... perhaps even the new pulseAudio sound system could help ... but i haven't had the time yet to try either of them

greetings
TheGonk

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2007 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
koadah wrote:
You have sound? Wink

Shocked

JavaBB is totally incomplete without the sounds. The RIP noise is especially funny.

The snap on casualties makes me jump!
TheGonk

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2007 - 02:55 Reply with quote Back to top

mighty_scoop wrote:
TheGonk wrote:

Yes that's a linux ( ubuntu ?!?) problem ... the bbclient uses the whole audio server ... means, that if you have another audio device running (like mp3, video, etc.) before starting the client, then you won't have the client sound ... if you don't have any sound device running before you start then you will have sound, but your audio device is busy for any other sound application (including a second bb match) ...

Sounds right. I rebooted, and was able to spectate 3 games in a row with sound.

mighty_scoop wrote:
i guess with starting a new audio daemon (like artsd) at every client start could solve the problem ... perhaps even the new pulseAudio sound system could help ... but i haven't had the time yet to try either of them

greetings

Do you know how to restart this? I couldn't find any reference to artsd or artswrapper in /etc/init.d or rcX.d. It's running as me, so I'm guessing it's started by my window environment, KDE, but I don't really understand that. I did some finds on the entire filesystem, and didn't turn up anything obvious.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2007 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

TheGonk wrote:
SillySod wrote:
koadah wrote:
You have sound? Wink

Shocked

The snap on casualties makes me jump!

If you have the volume turned up listening to music it can all get quite alarming. Smile

I only have sound on one of two linux machines. The one that has sound still has no wireless.

The amount of buggering about to get even the simplest things working means it's more cost effective to just buy another laptop and install XP.
Once you've got rid of Vista you're ready to rock. Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2008 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an issue with the client in Linux - the keyboard shortcuts for menu items do not work in network games, only standalone. This means I can't load or save setups, or (theoretically) concede. The Right-mouse-button menu doesn't work under any circumstances.

I'm wondering if it's a Java issue, or something else?

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2008 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
I have an issue with the client in Linux - the keyboard shortcuts for menu items do not work in network games, only standalone. This means I can't load or save setups, or (theoretically) concede. The Right-mouse-button menu doesn't work under any circumstances.

I'm wondering if it's a Java issue, or something else?

Shouldn't be a java issue ... guess the client uses some os specific input layer ... but it's only a guess
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2008 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

There should be a menu item to get to these funtions on linux.

Top left? (can't be bothered to fire up the linux box to check)

Jump to: