50 coaches online • Server time: 23:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SlyFrog

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 02:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm having the splash screen error. This is after:

1. Uninstalls of all existing Java packages and fresh installs of 1.42 JRE.

2. Installs of the Blood Bowl app after installing Java, consisting of an unzip of 8.3 followed by including the patched 8.5 (I have tried both using Winzip to install the patch into the 8.3 folders directly, and have also manually moved the stuff, nothing works).

I have checked to make sure that the folders were not merely overwritten; they were not (and as mentioned, to be sure I have also unzipped the patch into a separate folder and copied them in by hand).

I have also made sure the bbowl.jar file is in the main folder, not in a subfolder (or in a different folder outside of the Blood Bowl folder).

I have tried running with and without the shortcut.

None of these things have worked.

I have successfully gotten it working on a different machine, without doing anything odd or different.

Please help; this is my main machine. I can not play it regularly on the other machine that I did get it working on.
SlyFrog

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Bump: Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? I want to play!
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Format c:

Sorry, can't help... just bumping... Something seems missing on your main machine...

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

have you read all this?
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7286&highlight=

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Peach wrote:
have you read all this?
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=7286&highlight=

Yes. I have searched prior posts related to splash screens, and tried all the advice I could find in them.

Not taking a shot at you; I appreciate the attempt to help. Just letting you know that I tried that one.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Just for gits and shiggles, want to try this?

This is the 8.3 full version with the 8.5 patch pre-installed for you. There's an additional file in there which is an OS X- native application made from the .jar. You can delete or ignore it as you see fit.

If this works for you then you really, truly did make a mistake when installing the patch and overwrote something. If it doesn't work, then you've successfully ruled that out and people can try addressing alternate problems.

If you'd rather not download my strange, untrustworthy .zip file another thing that would help diagnose the problem would be opening the bbowl/pics/ folder and taking a screenshot or writing down everything you see in there. If you have 5 folders and 157 various images (could be slightly more of less if I tweaked mine... I can't recall off the top of my head), then you've got it installed correctly. If you've only got a couple of folders and a handful of images you overwrote your pics folder with the one from the patch instead of copying individual files over (which is the most common problem, addressed in the other threads).

Either way, kudos to you for doing your research and good luck. One final possible solution would be to try copying the working bbowl directory from the backup machine to the same path on your primary machine. If that doesn't work, then it's possibly a problem with Java or something on a system level.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I've got no problem admitting that I made a mistake. I just want to get the thing to work, and to be honest, I'd rather it not be working because of an easily corrected, stupid mistake on my part than because of some convoluted problem it takes hours to run down. Very Happy I am at least pretty sure it's not the folder overwrite issue; one, as you've mentioned, I have all the folders, and even manually copied things in, so I do not think that is the problem.

I should add that I actually copied the folder that did not work on my machine to another machine, and it worked on that machine. So that has confused me even more (as the other machine has a newer copy of Java on it, but I tried both the 1.5 and 1.42 versions of Java on my machine). My machine is a few months old and has exhibited no other flakey systems with games of any sort, so I do not think this is a dying harddrive/motherboard/hardware problem.

So in other words, thanks for the zip, and when I get a chance I will download it and give it a whirl. If that doesn't work, we'll go from there.

P.S. I'm trusting you with this zip. Please don't poison my system. Laughing

BadMrMojo wrote:
Just for gits and shiggles, want to try this?

This is the 8.3 full version with the 8.5 patch pre-installed for you. There's an additional file in there which is an OS X- native application made from the .jar. You can delete or ignore it as you see fit.

If this works for you then you really, truly did make a mistake when installing the patch and overwrote something. If it doesn't work, then you've successfully ruled that out and people can try addressing alternate problems.

If you'd rather not download my strange, untrustworthy .zip file another thing that would help diagnose the problem would be opening the bbowl/pics/ folder and taking a screenshot or writing down everything you see in there. If you have 5 folders and 157 various images (could be slightly more of less if I tweaked mine... I can't recall off the top of my head), then you've got it installed correctly. If you've only got a couple of folders and a handful of images you overwrote your pics folder with the one from the patch instead of copying individual files over (which is the most common problem, addressed in the other threads).

Either way, kudos to you for doing your research and good luck. One final possible solution would be to try copying the working bbowl directory from the backup machine to the same path on your primary machine. If that doesn't work, then it's possibly a problem with Java or something on a system level.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2006 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

nope badboymojo is one of the better guys on the site, one of our more well known members, macavity is a closet fan, he is also a closet fan of me too, but doesnt like to admit it!

id say its safe to trust him, hundreds of folk use his download Smile
SlyFrog

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2006 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I got it to work, but apart from BadMrMojo's file. I'm not a computer guru, but I'll try to explain what I did (which was mostly an accidental "let's push this button and see if it works" method).

I downloaded BadMrMojo's file, and as stated, got the same splash screen error. Now, based on some previous posts, I had already gone into the folder tools and tried to associate .jar files with javaw (because it was originally reading them as WinZip files). That, obviously, didn't help, as I was left with the problem I posted about.

I noticed, however, that while changing that now allowed Java to open the file (as opposed to WinZip), it still did not appear to recognize it as a Java file (i.e. it now asked me what to open it with when I double clicked on it, and presented javaw as one of the options, which then when selected opened it to the splash screen problem).

So, I decided to go back to the Tools/Folder Options/File Types, and selected .jar files (which it said were associated with javaw). Rather than clicking change to try again to associate it with the java executable, I instead clicked "Restore."

I don't know why (I'm sure someone here with an ounce of brains does), but it worked!

Thank you all very much for trying to help out. It is sincerely appreciated. You all win the official SlyFrog "Good Egg" award!
 Jump to: