16 coaches online • Server time: 08:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Blackcrag

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:

Anyway, there's a word in some african language, which is in the Guinnes World Record book for being the most concise word in the world. Can't remember what word it was, but it mean something like "two people looking at eachother hoping the other guy would do the thing neither of them wants to do". Heh, I think there isn't a word for that in other languages.

I'd love to learn that word! I hope it's one of the zulu words involving *click*-sounds...
Blackcrag

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2006 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

DonTomaso wrote:
Well, I'm happy for you danes to put your name on the map for 'Bagstiv'... truly the spirit of the danish ppl comes through in that word.. Wink

And, being a swede myself, I'll have to settle for Lagom, Smorgosbord and Ombudsman.... all swedish words from the beginning, and not nearly as fun as Bagstiv...

Tsk tsk... While those words may have been Swedish originally they've been adopted by other languages and thus don't qualify... Razz (erh except: What is a lagom???)

Discobowling might be an entirely swedish term though Shocked
DeMoorck

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

About the word "Ombudsman(d)". I didnt recall it being a Swedish invention. I made a few searches and consulted my etymological dictionary and the word should be Danish Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2006 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Its danish allright Smile
 Jump to: