25 coaches online • Server time: 00:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is the schedule you would prefer for next season?
Open Round-Robin
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Fixed Schedule Round-Robin
80%
 80%  [ 24 ]
Other
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

reo19uk

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 10:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a quick vote on the schedule type. Best way tp find out so is it open or fixed matches?
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Fixed schedule - stops cherrypicking and keeps the league runnig smoothly.

Maybe think about policies dealing with absentees. Do we draft in new coaches, make them fully aware of the slog it will be but obviously offsettingthe fact that they are likely to be going in a higher league position than starting from scratch? Should there be a compensation allowed to new coaches? Would this be different for the league they go into? Auto promotion of coaches to higher leagues? If so, is this done by league position or team strength? Lot of questions without any answers! Very Happy

I'm of the (humble) opinion that there is a schedule of games, and a limit to finish throughout, although not necessarilly as strict as it is now. For example, games 1-5 finished by first month, games 6-10 by second month, etc...

New coaches are put in to replace their predecessor's points, but start with a FRESH team, no leg ups, no fiendly games, just thrown in at the deep end.

It can be done, and as long as we're up front about what is expected, you should continue the long line of quality coaches we see here.

Obviously this is just my opinion, and the only thing that needs to be decided is what rules we're playing by, then sticking to them. Obviously there are other alternatives, such as allowing extra start ups by division (Division one replacements can choose a reroll and apothecary, division two get either but not both, division three get an apoth and div 4 get nowt!).

Good job on keeping us all up to date Commissioner Sir!

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Cribble about the 'bonuses' for joining part-way through depending on division (great idea btw)

The fixture list is definately the way to go cause, as has been previously said it stops people avoiding the stronger teams until the end of the season (you can imagine the relegated team just having to sit back and watch while the other teams play 7 games each before taking on the stronger team for the first time)

You could keep it the way it is, week-by-week fixtures, but divide into sections games 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 with a catch-up/bye week at the end of each section. This would stop the league getting too far behind, and allow teams that week to catch up if they've been on holiday etc. If you haven't been able to play your week 2 opponent by the time the catch-up week comes, then you could play your week 3 opp then, just to give wk2 guy the chance to play you in the right order. If a team hasn't completed that section's fixtures by the end of the bye week then that section could be written off, (victories awarded for no-shows, teams replaced, etc). But I do think that games should follow the fixture list order where possible, as this is the fairest way to avoid the cherrypicking that could occur.

I'm a Newbie here and I don't know if there would be an issue with cherrypicking, but having to follow the fixture list in order would take that temptation (and excuse) away from everyone. The important thing is we all have a bit of (albeit competitive Wink ) fun, and I would hope that everyone plays it in the spirit they should, but there's always one...... Rolling Eyes

I've only played one game so far, and I'm already hooked to the format! Very Happy
Usque ad mortem bibendum!
tattie5

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of having an inbetween, (if i understand this correct by rosscommon) you have three games each month. and your three opoonents are decided in the fixture. so there is some kind off fixture and hopefully you cannot cherry pick to much. Its all a bit of fun anyway so i would hope no one would abuse the system. If a team drops out then the league should carry on and there can be 1 less relagated or 1 extra promoted.
for example if there are 6 teams in Div 1, one player finishes 4th but has left the league he gets booted one extra comes up from division 2 one extra comes up from division 3 and one extra comes up from division 4. If that makes sense. basicly they get relagated right out the arse of division 4.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Fixed schedule of opponents. This highlights any coach who's not making the grade, and allows a team some foreknowledge of what they'll be up against when choosing skills/etc, which can make a huge diff in some cases.

As for a calendar schedule, pushing coaches to go as fast as possible (maybe a 5 day cycle?) would give a "buffer" in case of holidays and etc, or when we are delayed due to (inevitable?) RL coach loss/disappearances, to allow time to find a suitable sub. For those who can only play on weekends, that might mean the occasional "double header" where two games are played over one weekend, but that shouldn't be too often nor difficult to achieve.

As for new teams in advanced divisions... ugh. Being one myself, there is no way to fully prepare for those "relegated" teams that have fallen down into your division, yet some balancing factor is necessary so substitute teams are more than mere roadbumps and SPP goldmines, and can actually survive those encounters. (Old Toadies' two recent 4-0 romps being a case in point).

I'm not sure that allowing Apo's in all starting teams isn't a bad idea- not having an Apo for two games (if you get less than 50k the first!) can start a death spiral if a player is lost the first game, and then the remaining 6 find themselves overwhelmed and further abused the second, etc etc. (Losing 1 man in 7's is MUCH more devastating than in 11's, as too many of us have witnessed!) Or allowing a "sub", an 8th player, that keeps off in a corner of the field, as per opponent's directions, to avoid such imbalances. But barring such radical League Rules changes, yes, an Apo or RR's (perhaps based on a review of the teams in the division?) would seem not only appropriate, but perhaps necessary for reasonable competition and team survival.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
kemimutt

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

An apothecary from start is ok, but an extra player is not. That extra player breaks the bb7 rule and in unneccesary.

Even having just 3 player to choose from is bad in my eyes. Ok, it makes it easier to find games, but then people start thinking "I need a recovery before I play him" and then it takes longer time before the game is played and perhaps that coach have to wait untill everyone else have played eachother and then he will be short on time.

From last season I found that it was quite easy to get to play the games you were supposed to play, as everyone knows that they have to play someone makes it easier to set a "playdate".
Cribbleobblepie

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2007 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm against extra helps to starting teams. SPeaking from experience, I joined a division with advanced teams as a fresh coach, I had no apothecary, and I suffered a SI (-AG) and a RIP in my first game. That meant I haven't managed an apothecary until game three, but I have managed. I now have a full team, starting to get skilled, and have an apothecary. Had I had that apothecary I would have had a good chance to win either my 2nd ror 3rd game, and have played a team who managd to stop a 2nd turn RIP with a new team who had an apothecary.

I'm not picking on anyone, nor do I want results amended or teams changed. I'm simply pointing out that the rules I had to stick to should be applied to all new teams equally.

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2007 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all I'm for the fixed schedule, in an open format I fear that many games will not be played in in a reasonable time, i.e: season will be VERY long.

Reading previous posts I had an idea, I don't know if it's a good one, but I'll try to explain:

Run the tournament in a fixed schedule but with the possibility to play dropped rounds at the end of the season (or in a by week at half season or wathever). In order to do so, the league have to be set up as an open one, then make the seeding and write down on the group page, so that everyone knows who he have to play and in what order (but he's not enforced by the site to play team 1 before team 2, so sropped rounds can be played after).

There are several problem in order to make this work:
- it's complicated, a lot of cooperation and founder work is needed.
- cherrypicking is possible, in fact if I have to play a recovery game and my next oppo is very strong I can drop the tourn and then play the game when full recovered. I know that everyone in this group will never do this...but who can tell?
- don't necessary solve the problem
- makes the season longer

Sorry for the bad english Embarassed
 Jump to: