54 coaches online • Server time: 20:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azrahn

Post   Posted: May 14, 2007 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

[url=http://www.blood-bowl.net/teamicons/orcacola.gif]Image[/url]

Orca-Cola Cup Series 05/07

- Picks - Schedule - Match Reports -

Welcome Sportsfans! After seeing how successful the excellent Plorg's Picks has been for the major tournament scene this intrepid (or more correctly, unemployed) reporter thought it might be good to nick his idea! Three cheers for Plorg! So, here is something remarkably similar for the OCCS series. I'll start us off with some predictions for the current round of OCCS monthly tournies. Lets see how terribly wrong I can be!

-------------------------------------------------------

The Picks: Middenheim Challenge 05/07

Second Round

Misty Moutain High vs Sand Sabres
The first match up sees Springboks Orcs taking on M'Kari's Khemri. Misty Mountain High have a deep bench and skills spread pretty evenly across the team. The Sabres have an excellent record, going 6/0/1 up to this point. With well developed Mummies (three with block and one also with guard) for a team of this age, they should do well. Also, the lack of a tackler may haunt Misty Mountain High throughout the game when attempting to grab the ball from Sabres throw-ra, Evriss. If the Sabres get a few early casualties from all that MB and the DP they should win this one. Expect a tight game though.

Pick: 1-0 Sand Sabres

Space Hulk Mutiny vs GreenTime
This reporter has first hand experience of facing the Mutiny, and with Orcs at that. Beware of the TTM ability this team boasts with the agile pairing of Iggy and Rip. With a bye in the first round the orcs of GreenTime look very solid. Expect some goblin surfing action if Rohan gets his way. Lack of tackle could be an issue but with a good spread of block across the team it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Use of the guards, especially the black orc Nyugis, will be vital for this game. Have to say the edge is probably with BlackOrc, and his GreenTime with an impressive 6/0/0 record. But if funboy's luck holds, and the lack of re-rolls doesn't become an issue the Mutiny could still cause an upset.

Pick: 2-1 GreenTime

Waterdeep Ratskins vs P.E. Public Enemy
The Ratskins of RealMadns have the only one turner left in the tournament. Looks doubtful as to whether the bench is deep enough to keep him out of harms way till those important moments though. Lack of experience with this team against true bashy teams might also be a factor. Public Enemy look like a class act, with plenty of skilled dwarfs and a nice ball handling centaur. Look for Razor and Griff (the sure hands hobgoblins) to secure the ball in the back field and hand off to Distrubutor of Pain for the long drive. If Public Enemy manage to get the ball secure then I can't see their drive being haulted. Have a feeling this may come down to whether the evil dwarfs can catch up with the one turner, Death, and help him meet his namesake. Either that or it'll be down to who wins the toss in Overtime. Have to say my money is on the SteelThunders chaos dwarfs grinding out a win.

Pick: 3-2(OT) P.E. Public Enemy

Daoi-Sith vs Nuffles Nostalgica Norderney
Possibly the toughest match to call. MadMac's dark elves sport a wealth of talent in their blitzers, look out especially for Du-Sith Bonebreak. From gildor's NNN, expect big things from blitzer Hanns Gervens who I feel will be hunting blodgers mercilessly and attempting to introduce them to their fans. Both teams sport a DP so good use of them throughout the match may be vital. With the amount of guard on the sides also even the orcs will be relying on their black orcs and troll to provide the additional muscle to out bash the elves. If the elves use their maneourverability well though then things could get tricky for the NNN. Securing the ball will be priority for the NNN as if Du-Sith Bonebreak gets his hands on Abbo Honnen there could be trouble. In the end going to have to go with the extra experience of gildor although I can easily see this one going the other way.

Pick: 2-1 Nuffles Nostalgica Norderney

Will be more to follow once the match ups for the next round have been sorted. Anyone who can come up with a name for this section, that rivals the simple elegance of "Plorg's Picks" will have my undying gratitude. Currently the front runner is "Az's Awful Analysis", which, lets be fair, is terrible!

If you want to spec any of these, or any of the other OCCS matches then have a glance at the Game Schedule thread which will hopefully soon have the game times you're after.

Now get out there and either shame me eternally or prove me to be a some sort of genius!
Azrahn

Post   Posted: May 15, 2007 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Now we have the second round matches worked out for the Antipodal Regional Shield, I thought I'd have a go at getting these predictions terribly wrong as well!

The Picks: Antipodal Regional Shield 05/07

Second Round

Hell in a Handbasket vs HIgh Council of Moo
The first match sees an undead versus high elf match. Hell in a Handbasket boast solid mummies and a pair of blodging, sure hands and side stepping ghouls. Getting the ball from those lads could be a nightmare. The solitary tackler should be enough to deal with these elves, as they only have a couple of blodgers on the roster. Only weakness I see with these undead is the lack of skills on the zombies, could certainly do with at least a smattering of block and perhaps a DP or two. High Council of Moo have a well rounded team, with enough bodies to probably cope with the punches BlueDevil will no doubt be landing. The two tackling dragon warriors, Moongazer and Starwatcher are likely to be key. If they can get to, and take out Hell in a Hand Baskets ghouls I can see the elves pinching this one. With BlueDevil's solid record though sensible money would have to be on the undead to take this one.

Pick: 2-1 Hell in a Handbasket

Fool's Gold Miners vs Brionne Blitzers
Another tight game, this time seeing vanGorn's dwarves taking on Luisja's humans. The Miners have plenty of guard for a match at this TR and should comfortably outmuscle the Blitzers if the match descends into a shoving match. With these dwarves it's going to be all about ball security. If the Blitzers manage to get to the Miners runners, Laurin and Oten, then without block they could be victims of a sacking. The Blitzers have some nice agile players in the making, especially Barry Sanders and Jonny Rush. They'll need to make the most of that agility this match but I have a feeling the lack of re-rolls may be telling. My money is going to have to be with the dwarves but if those humans get at the runners early I can easily see this one being an upset.

Pick: 2-1 Fool's Gold Miners

Karak Varn Anvils vs New Found Knowledge
Some may say this reporter is going to be a touch biased in this match, what with one team being his and all! But in all honestly I'm not sure the Anvils can continue their winning ways against New Found Knowledge of GForce. The Anvils do boast a wealth of guard and a star in the making, in runner Sug Grimlode. But here they're facing a skilled khemri side, with good Mummies, a couple of strengh boosted skeletons (Fresh Insight looking especially dangerous) and a pair of DP skellies too. GForce has an excellent record and this should be a close game, most likely coming down to who rolls the best armour rolls. The handicap for New Found Knowledge and whether the runesmith decides to provide something useful to the Anvils could also be pivotal. Going to back the khemri to take out enough dwarves to take the win, that way this reporter can't really lose no matter what the result!

Pick: 2-1(OT) New Found Knowledge

SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: May 15, 2007 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice read, Azrahn.

Brings some nice fluff to the OCCS - hope this continues throughout the months competitions. Smile

Keep up the good work!

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Azrahn

Post   Posted: May 15, 2007 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

My take on the upcoming Albion Regional Challenge semi-finals. Well just one for now, the other to follow once the match up is finalised.

The Picks: Albion Regional Challenge 05/07

Semi-Finals

Clan Deepmug vs Fate's Destiny

So with only eight teams in the competition we're at the semi-finals stage already where we see the dwarves of lauth81 taking on the necromantics of reimar. Both sides seem fully fit with the Clan having come through a game with the Monticello Flames remarkably unscathed and the Destiny just missing a rookie wolf from a pre-tournament match. The Clan sport a decent ability to play the ball compared to many dwarf teams with Barendd and Eberk looking to combine well. Also expect to see the tag team slayers, Bruenor and Oskar playing a huge part in this match. Their ability to bring the pain to Destiny's wolf and ghouls could well be telling. Facing them however are a very well rounded necromantic side. They boast a combo of golems the envy of many teams and who could cause the dwarven drive no end of trouble. Add into the mix the guard zombie, Mo' Brains and they could even match up to the Clan in a straight fight, but not quite, at least not in this reporters opinion. Game could well be decided by who wins between the Clans slayers and Destinys wolf, Ripper. An early casualty either way could swing the game. I think the dwarves might edge it though. They have a solid record in tourneys and lets be fair, dwarves are just mean to play against!

Pick: 2-1 Clan Deepmug

bampf

Post   Posted: May 24, 2007 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Orca-Cola Cup Series

The Picks: Middenheim Challenge 05/07 Semi-Finals

Sand Sabres vs Green Time

This matchup will be a classic Orc-Khemri bashfest between two very nasty teams. Coaches M'Kari and BlackOrc have compiled a very impressive 13-1 record between these two teams. Truly this fight will be an epic slugfest. I give a slight edge to Green Time thanks to developed Black Orcs and a ton of Guard. Throw a Troll into the mix and even 4 mummies are gonna have serious issues controlling the line. That should leave too many orcs on the fringe to ball hunt and smash AV7 skellies. The one wildcard though is Erviss, the Sabres wily blodging Throw-Ra. A lack of tackle means the orcs may struggle to bring down Erviss if he manages to scoop up the ball (always a big if for Khems).
Green Time 1 Sand Sabres 0

Waterdeep Ratskins vs Nuffles Nostalgica Norderney

RealMadns brings the only scoring team into the semis to face gildor_inglorians greenskins. This will be a classic speed vs strength match. The Ratskins have some nicely developed Gutter Runners with both an AG5 rat and a one turn scorer, but the Norderney counter with two Tackling blitzers (including a nasty Tackle, Frenzy, MB blitzer). I don t see how the orcs can stop the rats from scoring, but also don t see how the rats can stay on the field in the face of such a bunch of nasty orcs. I predict an OT match that the orcs will win by way of attrition.
Nuffles Nostalgica Norderney 3 Waterdeep Ratskins 2 OT

Post   Posted: May 31, 2007 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Orca-Cola Cup Series May Finals Picks

Reikland Rookie Champions

Lucky_Eddy's Hill Billy Heaven Orcs vs jkarr's Bampf Let Us Die!! Necros.

This is an odd match up. The Hill Billy Orcs skated to the finals by way of 3 Forfeit wins while Bampf let us Die! smashed through 3 teams by a combined 7-1 score. The necros thereby have a 40+ TR edge (having added some free zombies along with their normal winnings) against a rookie orc team. Those handicaps could loom large as a rookie orc team is still a dangerous foe. The edge still goes to the necros thanks to their developed skill players and deep roster.
Pick 2-1 Bampf let us Die!!

Middenheim Challenge

gildor_inglorian's Nuffles Nostalgica Norderney Orcs vs M'Kari's Sand Sabres Khemri.

I predicted the Sand Sabres would lose to orcs in the Semis and my forcast nearly came true as the orcs missed two good scoring chances in regulation before losing in OT. This time the Sabres faces another well developed orc team. In the semi-final matchup the Sabres benefitted from their opponent s lack of tackle and DP. This is not the case this time as gildor's NNN is looking well prepared to take on the Sabres mummies. Once again I give the edge to the orcs as they should have the strength to tie up mummies while headhunting AV7 skellies (but I was wrong last time).
Pick Nuffles Nostalgica Norderney 1-0

Antipodal Shield

lauth81's Badland Bandits CDs vs G_Force's New Found Knowledge Khemri.

New Found Knowledge is missing a mummy for this game, but has acquired two ST+ players along the way that should make up for that lack of strength. Badland Bandits are missing a CD for the game but have excellent bull centaurs (including a ST+). In a straight up slugfest the edge has to go to the Khemri as their 4 Mighty Blow and 2 DPs will give an edge over the bashing power of the CDs. On the other hand if the dwarves can hold the line, those bull centaurs could wreak havoc in the khemri backfield. Alas, though, the khemri win in a battle of attrition.
Pick New Found Knowledge 2-1 in OT

Albion Regional Challenge

SeraphimRed's Apocalyptic Climax Necros vs reimar's Fate's Destiny Necros.

This match could really go either way. Two very nicely developed Necro teams face off. Both have some nicely developed skill players and plenty of skilled zombies. A slight edge, though goes to Seraphim thanks to Fate's Destiny having a key wight missing the game due to injury. That edge though is ever so slight. This one will come down to dice and who can win Nuffle s favor.
Pick Apocalyptic Climax 3-2

Jump to: