72 coaches online • Server time: 21:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Melrakki

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

When you start playing it, you think it's more luck than skill.
After a while, you realize there's much more skill involved than you could ever think, and a lot less luck involved than you thought.

I would just like to add this this is partly because the game becomes a lot more about skill once higher SPP players get involved.
catmando

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 03:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Quote:

When you start playing it, you think it's more luck than skill.
After a while, you realize there's much more skill involved than you could ever think, and a lot less luck involved than you thought.

I would just like to add this this is partly because the game becomes a lot more about skill once higher SPP players get involved.

I disagree. A one is a one on 1d6 and an attacker down roll is still an attacker down roll regardless of how many re-rolls or skills the team possesses. I'm great at games that don't involve much die rolling, once I learn the pattern, I rarely lose. But in games like Monopoly, Craps, D&D, Star Fleet Battles, and Blood Bowl and so forth, I win or succeed in about half the games I play, mainly because the random element of chance is involved, i.e. dice rolling. In my experience with games involving dice, which is 30+ years, the win is 50% Luck, 40% skill and 10% Divine Intervention. You can be the most brilliant tactician on Earth, but if the die rolls are not there to support your plan, the plan will fail regardless.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Everything in BB doesnt involve rolling a dice...
SillySod

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
In my experience with games involving dice, which is 30+ years, the win is 50% Luck, 40% skill and 10% Divine Intervention.

This is clearly wrong, various games are affected to a greater or lesser extent by dice and strategy partially by coincidence and parially through design.

As a sidenote I think skill has the greatest impact on a game at the lowest level of play (although this does not mean the lowest TR).

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course dice rolling is chance, but the skill of BB is minimizing risk. If you do the right things, even a double skull rerolled to a double skull may be a turnover but not be an unrecoverable play.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2008 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Find and play me. I use mostly elves. Smile
 Jump to: