38 coaches online • Server time: 18:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ruqakaal

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Ive only ben here since july but an old format style of mine could be useful

tournements can have two main problems... odd numbers of applicants which can leave many left out

or even worse fillers

i created the surviver format to allow 13 people to play a in a ko style as neither one of us wanted to be left out or kicked out
3 fillers or 5 not play....

first we thought of adding players "UP" in round 2 or 3 as applicable
example
12,6,3(+1 wildcard),2 for final
this met with eqaul disdain as the 13th player got a bus pass to the semi

the solution was a corner or 3 way play ... example

13 players 10 play a vs 3 play a three way winner advances

6 players vs 3 left
three way for tie

this didnt go well as the final was to be a vs
this meant fixing it to
2 three ways , vs final

so to get rid of fillers and dump outs you end up paying by the awkward 3 way

EDIT: submitted before finished OMG

i submitt this format as fillers and drop outs are a bugger in a random amount of players wishing to join

it could be hit or miss if its not what you want i accept and back down

...and someone is bound to have done this before
Irgy

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me the crucial piece of information would be how exactly you go about playing a 3-way game of bloodbowl?

Or do you mean like a mini-round-robin, where the three teams play two games each, and if no-one wins both games you have some sort of tie breaker?
ruqakaal

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

as you said 3 games instead of one with a possible tie scenario,true to replace awkward involves awkward its just a solution to filler and the scenario of refused members to keep the number. unsure what breaks the tie though goals, spp and cas seems ok

i thought of putting this up after seeing epic amounts of filler in the fummble cup and some irc moaning from the number 9 kick out in a tourney of 8

thx for a quick reply:)

EDIT: that and there could be any number of apllicants in the open top style of fummble from 33 to 69 it allows for more flexibility in accepting challengers to a tournement
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 05:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really see the benefits of using this instead of fillers or just forfeiting the game.
ruqakaal

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

i see its not useful then well it was an idea (and now corrected as a useless one)

thxs for the feedback
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2010 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

ruqakaal wrote:
i see its not useful then well it was an idea (and now corrected as a useless one)

thxs for the feedback

Hey your idea isn't so bad. Nothing wrong with making an interesting suggestion. In this case you want to avoid free advances for teams that would otherwise play vs a filler, and you have suggested a mechanism that might lead to a fairer qualification process (changing odd applicants to an odd triplet).

I think for FUMBBL, the filler process is much simpler: easier to enforce and to understand, so I probably wouldn't replace it just yet. Also, having an odd triplet means that those teams play MORE games then the other teams, which can also be unfair in Blood Bowl.

Anyway, I can see how your idea can be nice for home leagues etc, or perhaps for some smaller player-run tournament in the League division. Usually for official tournaments on FUMBBL, if the player base is very small, we wait until a precise number of players have entered (such as 8 for a Smack), but when the tournament is larger (64+), a free advance is less important. Also, a filler system should usually "fill-out" to the nearest power of 2, so that it is only necessary for some teams to play vs a filler in the first round (I think that is different to what you suggested would happen). In the case of 13 players, you should fill to 16. Then 3 players would miss the first round, but everyone plays from the second.

Hope you are enjoying FUMBBL.

Grod.

PS: I was hoping this thread was going to be about Zombies Smile

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: