19 coaches online • Server time: 01:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jim_b_at

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2011 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I know that there are different opinions about the usability of annotations.

I like to use them and therefore I would appreciate if they get saved in some way, because at the moment I end up doing the same abbreviations at the start of each of my games.
Especially saved annotations of my own players would be nice Wink

Just a suggestion Smile

Keep up the good work with the client!

Jim
gandresch

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2011 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a thought on this (my first tought was: "wow, Christer needs more harddisk drives"):
If every coach could have annotations for every player, this would be like every single player of every team must be saved for each coach. There are more than 460k teams here on fumbbl with in average more than 11 players.
The database, which saves this stuff will be a lot bigger, than the ones for the players (more than 60k times bigger, because there are more than 60k coaches).
If you sum this up - of course the calculation isn't truely based on the reality, because most coaches are inactive, some won't use the feature at all and some teams are retired, too. This therefor is just an upper bound calculated for this exact moment (number of coaches and teams increases constantly).
60k coaches times 460k teams times 11 players = 303600kk players = 303600 million player entries = 303 billion player entries.
If every player entry has only 1 byte, this will result in 303 GB player entries. If you want to sort them somehow, to make searching easier or put an index on them, the size might actually explode.

The idea for the own teams is great, because it would only lead to an additional column for each player in the database. I like the idea of saving the annos in this case.
jim_b_at

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2011 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I wouldn't suggest to save any annotations on the server - so no need to do these calculations Smile
Thought of saving this on the client... but don't know if this technically possible.

Edit: Are the setups saved on the server or local on the client?
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like this too, but from a database POV, it would likely mean that most dreaded of things - a new field in a populated database!

If we could save them locally in an annotations file, that might get around it.