30 coaches online • Server time: 02:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Have some activations matched by TV and some totally random. Twisted Evil

That would be fun. I took a match where I played 1.3M up in TV and had a blast.
MisterFurious

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

What if when a player entered a team into the black box, there was a list of options they could choose from regarding the TV of their opponent. For example, you when you enter your team you choose one of these options:

a) I want to play against a team of equal TV
b) I want to play against a team of higher TV
c) I want to play against a team of lower TV
d) I don't care what the TV of my opponent is

and then the matchmaker takes that choice into account when matching the teams. Maybe the "I want to play against a team of lower TV" option isn't a good idea, but the other options would have their uses.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

MisterFurious wrote:
c) I want to play against Macavity's niggled all-Halfling team

Fixed.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

MisterFurious wrote:
What if when a player entered a team into the black box, there was a list of options they could choose from regarding the TV of their opponent. For example, you when you enter your team you choose one of these options:

c) I want to play against a team of lower TV

and then the matchmaker takes that choice into account when matching the teams. Maybe the "I want to play against a team of lower TV" option isn't a good idea, but the other options would have their uses.

I think these are things that will be looked at once the client has been live a few months. It is a good idea. But I think there may be some opposition to this from a few people. Especially the option to play someone at a lower TV is quite a controversial one.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
we dont know how/if the match up system will be changed in the new B yet.

let's wait to see what C has in mind before seeking to modify the system

the inducement system may allow for greater variance between the teams that are matched up.

Word. Let's wait with this discussion till the 15th, please. Wink
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Whatball wants to play me!!!

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

MisterFurios pointed me this thread while spectating Gobos, and his idea of allowing big TV diffs seems a good approach. Mostly because Halfling and Goblins in LRB6 seem to be designed to be played with lots of inducements (some at discounted price, that has to be a hint), hundreds better than tens, so you can pick Chef (100K) + Deeproot (300K) or Zara (270K), or 3 Bribes (150K) + Nobbla (130K) + Fungus (80K), etc. Losing in total chaos and fun... and some days destroying big teams. A podcast some months ago had one of the rule writers talking about this (Halfling) style, and BBTactis suggest that roster too.

If going against bigger teams is optional, no big worries. Inducements are normally overpriced for what they do, some teams just depend on that to be above "meat for the hamburgers".
Igvy

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 07:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't mess with the matchup system, we just need to wait for petty cash to be introduced. that way you can select how much cash you want to spend on inducements (for the next game) in the postgame. Once this is implemented flings will be back.
Calthor

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 08:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, stunties will like Petty Cash. Also, I want to see them in tourneys. Wink
SteamBall

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I misread the LRB6 (and so far used in TT), but from what I understand, Inducements "base" is the difference of TVs and given for free pregame (not postgame), not kept if not spent (= this match only). The reason given is to level the field a bit, but still keep the underdog below. If you want to put extra, by means of Petty Cash, you are wasting money in inflated things, as nobody is going to pay 60K for a Loner Halfling that only lasts one match (journeymen are the same thing but for free if needed, another leveling tool introduced in LRB6). If you are the top team you better have a good reason to buy something with penalties as "more money, loner and lasts one match", because the bottom one will get that same quantity too.

From other forums and TT comments, it seems Petty Cash was a hack after some banking rules had been tested. I have to read those bank rules to see if the last minute change was so bad as some say.

A different thing would be if buying the Chef or Deeproot would be like buying Apo, pay one time, keep forever. Cool

No biggie tho, just play the funny guys at TT games and done, if here they are just a boring suicide to play with. Wink
Calthor

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Petty Cash allows to buy (more) inducements... But indeed, your opponent will then also have (more) inducements. Thing is, some inducements for some teams are just worth more than you buy them for.
Example? Goblin bribes, Halfling chefs. Goblins get much more use out of a bribe than most other teams due to Secret Weapons, and the halfling master chef is just so much cheaper for Flings that it makes all the difference.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2011 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I think anyone playing with flings in the box knows they will have it tough. Goblins don't have an issue, imo.

Goblins currently suck in the box. The new weapons MAY help them but Im not so sure that they will suddenly go from being terrible to being capable. I was a decent goblin coach in the lrb4 box, but Ive gone for 1-1-7 since the switch to lrb6 - and most of those have been absolute thrashings.

I agree with the OP - and was thinking of posting a thread myself on this subject. Some teams need inducements to be competitive, they were designed that way...
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2011 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Wait until you get a fanatic, that will all change quite quickly then. Also bombadier with Hail mary pass if you are lucky enough to get a double, is very very nice Smile but really those two teams are built for league play. I will certainly be trying one of them in OBBA once the final skills are implemented and league is moved over Smile