45 coaches online • Server time: 00:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BloodRunners

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

seriously V, you got stalled and didn't like it, I am sorry about that. But this is a game with a goal of winning. It would be pointless for me to let a woodelf team have two turns to score when they could tie or win with a TD. So of course the only logical thing to do is, stall. If it works, I get a TD, and you get one turn or no turns to answer. Its just good tactics, and any coach who wants to win will use it when it is appropriate. Besides, it gives me a few more turns to mop up on a team that is down to 5 or 6 in numbers, instead of letting them put a full 11 back on. Twisted Evil
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

V wrote:
What professional sports are there where one team stalls for 50% of the half? Your comparisons are irrelevant at best.

But I'm obviously outnumbered here, so don't get too touchy about it.

Have you heard of the neutral zone trap in hockey? I've seen teams do it for more than a half (2 of 3 periods) after they are up 3 goals in the first period.

Have you heard of tackle football teams, sticking to the running game once they are up a TD or two? The clock runs faster if you stick to running, if you didn't know. That looks a lot like stalling to me.

And what about soccer (or football), isn't the whole game nothing but a giant stall? Smile

Hardly irrelevant at best.

As for the fluff sillyness debate. Fans getting pissed because their team doesn't score right away. It's BLOOD bowl! I'd say that most of the teams that stall are the bashing ones. And I'm sure there fans would love to see more blood. Which often happens in any good stall.

As for touchiness, I think you are seeing things that don't exist. I usually hate it when my opponent stalls too. But that's where playing good defense comes in. You should be able to make it risky for you opponent to stall. But if due to sheer numbers you can't, I think it's a fair for the bashing team to be rewarded for being successful at it's brand of game.

I'm getting sick of hearing people complain about another player's choice of tactics. The only one I have any sympathy for is players who don't even try and win. Those player's whose sole purpose it to kill as many of the opposition as possible. I'm hoping people will stop complaining about their opponent's choice of tactics and start their own leagues with their own set of rules. Everyone's got 10 tournament slots. So, please quit whining and do something about it. It's called direct action. Use it.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism

Direct Action Media Network
Artagas

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr. Sanity has a good point.
The #1 thing is balance.
I would say at this point the game is more or less balanced (ok...except for halflings who were designed to suck:) )
now if you change something like that it will certainly not be balanced any more (dwarfs might as well go retire without stalling)...
of course you could change a whole bunch of other rules at the same time, and balance it again...
but do you seriously think it would be good to change a whole bunch of rules in order to stop stallers?

Artagas
peikko

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 10:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Learn to play the way opponent cant safely stall and end whining Razz

Most ppl end up making all kindof block with all their players when opponent has gotten away and it seems that they cannot catch that player with a ball. What they should do is to run still towards that player so in next turn if he stalls, you have a chance to blitz him.
Strangely most of whiners about stalling do the first case. WHy on earth should I score and leave 2 turns to some welfs or gutters to score a easy td.
Covertfun

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to register my personal favourite defence against stalling - Corner one of their players with most or all of your remaining force while sending the remainder off to pressure the TD.

Get one player down and start fouling, with as many assists as possible. However much you may hate stalling, most people hate the risk of losing a player to a foul even more.

It's a ransom thing - score now or the thrower gets it.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Tieing up half your team to foul ain't a good defense against a stall. Easier to keep that other half of your team away from my staller. IF I stall I seldom need to do it for more than one or two turns - I accept getting a foul in for that if it wins me the game.

And don't forget I can foul back too (ask Mr.Klipp about his gobbo :p), once you did that "stall foul" and still score my TD savely.

-Mnemon
slyspygb

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling is just as bad as fouling. It's not illegal but a rule that can spoil the fun of the game. The only part of stalling that i disagree with strongly is if your team is diminished by ways of missing players or BH injuries and the opposing player stalls the touchdown to surround your remaining players with the sole reason to injure the rest just for SSP points. That I find very disgusting and unsportsman like. Mad
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 13:37
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I used to despise stalling. With time (and playing on FUMBBL) I have changed opinion.

As has already been pointed out, proper defense makes it difficult/dangerous to stall. A single player in blitz range will most often get me to score. I also agree with Evo on allowing bashy teams to reap the rewards of managing to bash enough players to be able to stall in the second half without any players available to force him to score.

In a recent game where I played my goblins against a skaven team, I stalled for 4-5 turns in half two before I scored the winning 2-1 touchdown. Granted, it wasn't really the most fun half I ever played, but I _will_ do anything to win. Had I scored immediately, it would most likely have been a tie and would have been a serious tactical error. I had managed to get him off the pitch (5 KO players or something) and I still fouled one of his linerats who was on the ground close to my ball carrier.

Now, had he forced his players towards my ball carrier, I would most likely have scored as I can't really risk a blitz.

To prevent stalling from happening, you need to keep a player or two behind your main line of defense. Being overly aggressive against your opponent's ball carrier and charging with every player available has the risk of your opponent breaking through and fanning out behind your players which results in a situation where he can stall.

Bottom line.. Take the consequences of your strategic decisions. Sometimes you succeed, other times you fail. And sometimes the dice will simply screw you over royally.

-- Christer
Pernicion

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 14:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey V, remember when you choose the wrong die, the 'both players knocked down' instead of 'push back'? Man, that was great. You coulda beaten me 4-2. I know this isn't related, but I did say I'd have to tease you about that! Wink

http://corporatemanifestations.com
http://www.archive.org/details/sordid_zine
http://www.archive.org/details/crypt-designers-guild
V

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Shut up Pernicion.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

V wrote:
What professional sports are there where one team stalls for 50% of the half? Your comparisons are irrelevant at best.

But I'm obviously outnumbered here, so don't get too touchy about it.

Obviously you've never watched an NFL team with a good running game kill the second half with 3 drives and 2 defensive stands. You have to play to your team strengths. It makes no sense to give speed team the ball back with two turns left when I could give it back with one.

I don't like stalling, It's not much fun, but it sure beats the heck out of you beating me or tying the game. So if I decide I have to stall for 5 turns to win, thats what I'm going to do.

And secondly, I havn't seen anyone get "touchy" about it in this thread, disagreeing with you yes, insulting you or attacking you , no.

So... relax.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2003 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

The best one I ever saw was when the Ottawa Rough Riders were up by a point and the Edmonton Eskimos needed a field goal to win.

Someone watches the CFL!!! Wink

Just kiddin' Evo........
V

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2003 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Obviously you've never watched an NFL team with a good running game kill the second half with 3 drives and 2 defensive stands.

Hahahahaha. Obvioulsy not. I tried to watch a game once, it went for about 3 hours with four and half minutes actual playing time and everyone was dressed as if they were going to be shot out of a cannon.

When it comes to contact sports, most of the people on this planet (including myself) play rugby, and if you tried to stall in a game of rugby then...well - trust me, you just wouldn't. I'm sick of hearing about NFL. It's a silly game that offers slight amusement at best.

BTW, the US made it into the rugby world cup playing in Australia in October. If it gets televised in the US (which it should!), give it a shot, you may like it. Wink
Parlour

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2003 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

My opinion is stalling is part of the game. If i can go up by one and not leave my opponent a chance to score i will do it. It IS done in every sport where it can be done. Football,basketball, hockey even. And I have never been in a game where an opponent can stall for the entire half. If he is able to do that, plain and simple, you're not good.
BudsBalkan

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2003 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

at V:
If u play better Defense then your opponent shouldnt get any time to stall. If u play to agressive and u dont force him to score, then its your fault too.
U will find stalling in most sports disciplines, like Soccer, Ice hockey, Football and so on.
If u didint like BB then play chess online or other games.

Indeed: One-turners and Big Guys with PO & RSC sucks Big Time
 Jump to: