15 coaches online • Server time: 03:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dominik

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I never understood how the combined CR and the current classification (Star, Legend etc) are determined.
Like at the moment my coach page tells me I am a "Super Star" with a R CR of 167,81 but in the menu Rankings I am a Legend with a combined CR of 169,3. Question

My BB CR is 164,84 and despite it is lower than the R CR, I am considered a Legend in Blackbox.

Also I've won 70% of my games with Chaos but am a Veteran with a CR of 145,88
CCSenor

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

don't worry about it, if you ignore it , it will go away Wink
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

If you go to FUMBBL>Statistics>Rankings you will see a curve of all the coach ratings. I am pretty sure it is your position on that curve that determines what ranking title you get.

The curve is unique(and always changing) for each ranking (BB, combined, chaos, etc.)

The huge difference between your win% and coach rating means that with chaos you have mostly beaten low ranked coaches (netting small coach rating gains per win) and some of your lost matches have probably also been against low ranked coaches which nets a huge deduction in coach rating.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Just set yourself free & ignore the numbers.
Play for fun & enjoy the game like you were a kid again.
You'll never look back! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 02:41
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Yar, its partially based on chess world rankings from what I can see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

that shows all the others too but yeah. thats the type of math.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 02:43 Reply with quote Back to top

It's fun to play with the numbers. But don't take them seriously.

A disproportionately high CR is most likely the result of a recent win streak. A low CR but a high win rate could be the result of perverse gaming (picking) or of a losing streak, or just drawing a lot of bad teams.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 02:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
If you go to FUMBBL>Statistics>Rankings you will see a curve of all the coach ratings. I am pretty sure it is your position on that curve that determines what ranking title you get.

The curve is unique(and always changing) for each ranking (BB, combined, chaos, etc.)

The huge difference between your win% and coach rating means that with chaos you have mostly beaten low ranked coaches (netting small coach rating gains per win) and some of your lost matches have probably also been against low ranked coaches which nets a huge deduction in coach rating.

Yeah, sounds reasonable:
It is always the lesser experienced coaches who jump in happily in a match against clawed Chaos.

One question keeps remaining:
Why is the combined CR higher than the two seperated ones?
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 03:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think Christer has worked it out just yet. Probably low priority.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer is way better at explaining it than me but basically a coach can have a lower box rating than you and a higher combined rating at the same time. If you draw a game against him in box you will decrease in box rating and at the same time increase in combined ranking.

Now continue this idea that all the opponents you ever played, and all the opponents they ever played, and all the opponents they ever played, etc. Your different rankings can be very differently effected by each game you play.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

It's been explained pretty well a few times. A quick trawl using search and putting the results into the help file might be good (on mobile otherwise would do it).

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Recently my CR dropped again, but I've been pretty proud to be Super Star, have a CR of ~163 and a win ration of 37%. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 12:39
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Effectively, this comes down to the fact that the different rankings are separate. The overall ranking is NOT a combination of your other rankings, but a completely separate system.

A constructed example of why they would diverge:

Coach Alice (new to the site, starting at CR 150 in all categories) wins her 4 first matches in R against even opponents. At this point she's at an overall CR of 154 and a ranked CR of 154.

Coach Bob (also new to the site), decides to play in blackbox, and wins his first 4 matches. He's now overall CR 154 and blackbox CR 154.

Now they play against each-other in R with Bob winning.

Overall rankings will be pretty easy, because they were equal prior to the game, so Alice loses a point, while Bob gains one:

Alice 153, Bob 155

Ranked, however, is a bit different because Alice had a higher CR prior to the game, meaning the system expected her to win at that point (let's say 75% probability to make it simple). This would result in Alice losing 1.5 CR and Bob gaining the same 1.5:

Alice 152.5, Bob 151.5

So, we'd have this:

Alice: Overall 153, Ranked 152.5, Blackbox 150
Bob: Overall 155, Ranked 151.5, Blackbox 154

As you can see, the fact that the rankings are independent means there is no direct connection between the numbers.

As for your chaos, you can look at it this way:

If you have a CR of 150 for a specific race, it means that your win ratio is exactly as expected considering your opponents. If you're above, you've done better than expected and being below means your win ratio is less than expected.

With a 70% win rate and a below average (150) CR, it means that the opponents you played against had you sitting at an expected win ratio of above 70%.

Mind you, there's a pretty significant penalty for losing against a lower "level" opponent (so if you're a legend and lose against a veteran, your CR will drop significantly).

Edit: Oh, and the named rank levels are roughly based on the CR (as you may expect), and normalized to keep them roughly equal in size (apart from Legend, which is only a specific number of active coaches). There's some hysteresis involved, and regular re-normalization happening. I won't go into more detail than this for the moment.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that Major winners should be permanent Legends.

Though I suppose they may not want to be for fear of not getting games. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, maybe what you're arguing for, Koadah, is not "permanent Legends" but some kind of signifier for community achievements. What about an "official" set of badges (not the silly ones) for major (or even minor) site contributions, major tournament wins, etc.? I'd rather know if a coach has won a major and/or did something for the site (playtested a client version, wrote some copy, whatever, can all be the same badge or series of badges) than if they have an extra Magic Sponge, say. (Though if they got that sponge via a large contribution, there might be a badge for that….)

Or a community ranking. You could get up to Veteran, say, by playing a bunch and participating in multiple divisions and whatever (or just playing a lot in one division and giving money, maybe, or maybe a merit badge system so if you upload 100 pix to your gallery and write 5 blog posts it might cut the number of games you need or whatever), but you can't play your way higher than Veteran: if you want to get into the Star rankings you have to do something worthy for the site and then submit a request or be nominated. Like, if you coordinate a major project (troubleshooting the new client, say), that's worthy of a Super-Star tag. If you participate in the project (being a playtester, writing a page of copy, etc.), that's worthy of an Emerging Star tag, or Star if you were already Emerging.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2014 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Well, maybe what you're arguing for, Koadah, is not "permanent Legends" but some kind of signifier for community achievements.

BBtactics does this well, imo.

Jump to: