38 coaches online • Server time: 18:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

The other way to look at this is 'what does reconciling between the rules on this specific point with Box and Ranked achieve, that self created leagues can not'? It seems like a reconciliation for the sake of reconciliation, not because there is value added from the changes, which from the looks of it, seems like they would be kind of a nightmare to implement.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
The other way to look at this is 'what does reconciling between the rules on this specific point with Box and Ranked achieve, that self created leagues can not'?

Coach ratings, tournament access, more generally the more officially competitive divisions.

Making these divisions follow orthodoxy makes sense.

If other divisions that follow the new rules need to be created, they'd become the competitive ones.

Which rules should follow the next FC?

Last edited by thoralf on %b %29, %2016 - %03:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
The other way to look at this is 'what does reconciling between the rules on this specific point with Box and Ranked achieve, that self created leagues can not'?

Coach ratings, tournament access, more generally the more officially competitive divisions.

Making these divisions follow orthodoxy makes sense.

If other divisions that follow the new rules need to be created, they'ok become the competitive ones.

Which rules should follow the next FC?

None of the things you mentioned hinge on rule reconciliation to function though. Especially because its a league centered rule applied to a non structured league.
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

The main point for me is this: PO is gone. Sprialling Expenses are gone.

If left unchanged, I suspect we could well end up with easy 3000k TV teams.

The season thing is there to make up for it - as well as other things, once you embrace some rule changes, you got to pretty much embrace them all i guess, because in a ruleset everything is kind of connected and balanced.

Finding a way for it to fit properly in the current divisions isn't an easy task tho.
That's why I think it would be wise to just wait and see what the other DZs will implement. They might address a perpetual environment such as B and R. They do have the BB2 thing afterall.

If, afterall, it's not addressed at all, then we can un-necro this thread.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

None of the things you mentioned hinge on rule reconciliation to function though. Especially because its a league centered rule applied to a non structured league.

None of these things need to specify functional reconciliation to answer why B and R should implement the new rules.

A league is a league is a league.

The rules are the rules until we get new rules.

Would you like the FC to be played by teams that use the orthodox rules or not? "But we can't do it" does not answer that question.

Last edited by thoralf on %b %29, %2016 - %02:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that we want to be adding new divisions. Seasons should be implemented in [L]eague. With options for season lengths & TV values.

Implement it in R & B, or don't. No extra division. If people want Faction they can build it in [L]eague.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Implement it in R & B, or don't. No extra division. If people want Faction they can build it in [L]eague.

I like the idea of a new competitive division based on seasons. It should [sic] at least be entertained.

Wink
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

From what I understand this "season" thing isn't optional as someone claimed. It's a rule like Spiralling Expenses was. It's the way BB is meant to be played if your team plays more than just 1 game.

So, "should B and R implement it?" isn't even a question. It's gonna be implemented as with the other rules. That's what I understood.

How to implement it then becomes a huge, huge question. The timed thing (a new season with a new major) would be really cool, but it's not going to work.

So it has to be a given number of games. Just make a season 100 games and we'll barely notice it. Make it 10 games and it's perpetual RRR.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Opinions dressed as facts.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:33 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:

Not really ... you don't think it's possible to have different types of leagues? Wink

@Uedder: It would be good to confirm whether or not this seasons thing is part of the core rules - I agree with you, that could have a big impact on it's likely adoption by [R] or [B].

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:43 Reply with quote Back to top

JellyBelly wrote:
thoralf wrote:

Not really ... you don't think it's possible to have different types of leagues? ;)

Different types of leagues are still leagues, so your "not really" is incorrect.

From now on, my reading of a smiley will be "I know what I say is crap, but I'll say it anyway" ;-)

Last edited by thoralf on %b %16, %2020 - %16:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
licker

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:43 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no 'way BB is supposed to be played' though.

Seasons seems to be intended for specific kinds of leagues where there are enough coaches/teams playing enough games to make it function.

Is that the case for R and/or B? I would say no. Unless Christer wants to rewrite what the 'point' or R and B is.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Seasons seems to be intended for specific kinds of leagues [...]

GW surely had a specific prototype in mind, with seasons, a number of games, a Tournament, and downtime in the section How League Work, and a time limit in Playing a Season.

The only escape clause is (DZ1, p. 18):

Quote:
There are many different ways to run a league, with the one presented here being just one example. It is up to the Commissioner to decide how to run their league, and they are free to change or modify any of the Blood Bowl rules as they see fit.

If the Commissionner wants to stick to the rulz as much as possible, then he should find a way to implement seasons, number of games, time limits, tournaments, and downtime.

I believe there is a typo in this sentence in How Leagues Work:

Quote:
The league plays out over a number of seasons, during which each team will play each other team at least once.

A number of "games" would make more sense.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
The other way to look at this is 'what does reconciling between the rules on this specific point with Box and Ranked achieve, that self created leagues can not'? It seems like a reconciliation for the sake of reconciliation, not because there is value added from the changes, which from the looks of it, seems like they would be kind of a nightmare to implement.

This is a good point. Would adding 'seasons' into [R] or [B] actually increase the level of fun being had, or not? Personally, if anywhere, I'd rather see it trialled in a new division (which could be fun to try).

thoralf wrote:
GW surely had a specific prototype in mind, with seasons, a number of games, a time frame, a Tournament, and downtime in the section How League Work.

Right. But does that prototype fit the model of [R] or [B] and could it be made to work in those environments? That seems to be the key question here ...

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Bazakastine

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2016 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It is pretty easy to just say that as perpetual open leagues ranked and box are always in season so there is no off-season to do thinks such as redrafting. Then down the line if it seems like an issue it can be changed.
 Jump to: