40 coaches online • Server time: 17:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Meat Grinder Season ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Conceding: strategy or suckiness?
Sometimes you gotta pack it in and fight another day.
24%
 24%  [ 19 ]
Bleed to death if you have to, but stand your ground, dammit.
30%
 30%  [ 24 ]
You're here to have fun. If conceding means more future fun, concede!
44%
 44%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 78

torsoboy

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I've conceded multiple times when dinner was ready. Now I don't play before dinner Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Karlon wrote:
I conceded one because my rookie chaos team got pounded into the ground. I was winning 1-0, but my troll and 2 beasts niggled, one beast dead. You cant recover from that as a first game, so I told the guy i was going to retire the team and asked him whether he would prefer the natural victory or would prefer for me to concede (i totally wasnt enjoying the game, but i offered to play to the end), he chose concede.

Actually, this would be against the rules here in fumbbl... Rolling Eyes

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Karlon wrote:
I conceded one because my rookie chaos team got pounded into the ground. I was winning 1-0, but my troll and 2 beasts niggled, one beast dead. You cant recover from that as a first game, so I told the guy i was going to retire the team and asked him whether he would prefer the natural victory or would prefer for me to concede (i totally wasnt enjoying the game, but i offered to play to the end), he chose concede.

absolutely not

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
Karlon wrote:

absolutely not

From the Rules: Arranged games (ie. playing to lose) will not be tolerated. The same applies for coaches allowing each other to score extra touchdowns and all other SPP generating events.

If you are going to retire the team anyway, you should fight to death. Conceding is an spp-generating event, gives extra money, and should not be a present to your opponent.
This is how I read the rules. I might have a good reason to concede, but if I know I don't care about the team anymore and that this will be the last game, it is against the spirit of the aforementioned rule to concede to give away 5 spps and cash.

Of course this point of view is debatable, but I think the rules were created in this spirit. I might well be wrong, tho.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Karlon wrote:

Sure is.

And I say bleed to death! Never surrender, never compromise! Not even in the face of armageddon!

I'm with rorschach, if any of you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by MrMojo on %b %17, %2005 - %12:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
I've conceded multiple times when dinner was ready. Now I don't play before dinner Smile

Is your momma doing the cooking or what? grown men can make their own dinners, if you ask me.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Never give up, never surrender! Galaxy Quest style Smile
By the Hammer of Grabthar, they shall be avenged!!!
/XL

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:
I'm with rorschach, if any of you know what I'm talking about.

You want your opponents players to end up looking like one of his pictures? Laughing

Today Is A Good Day For Someone Else To Die!
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)
Eddy

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

@Jan
if concceding fell in the category you're describing, it wouldn't be an available option in the client, or wouldn't be authorized here at fumbbl. conceding is perfectly fine.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
sk8bcn wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
Karlon wrote:

absolutely not

From the Rules: Arranged games (ie. playing to lose) will not be tolerated. The same applies for coaches allowing each other to score extra touchdowns and all other SPP generating events.

The same applies for coaches allowing each other to score extra touchdowns and all other SPP generating events.

For me there is a big difference in:

ok I am fed up with that team. They are retired and I give you the win: it's no cheating. You are not saying your opponent:
"ok man, I score on this and you there next turn."

And the game was not arranged too. The decision to retire the team and give the game up was taken during the game, according to the game.

Other exemple: You play woodies but your opponent is an Emu member.

Turn 5 half 1 you win 2-0 but you already have used apo and suffer 2 kills. deciding to give up is no cheating! it's a choice.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Other example: you are playing EMU Dwarfs against woodies, turn 5 half 1 youwin 2-0 but you already have used apo and sufer 2 kills. Conceding and posting such a match in Bunypuncher's report thread is something you can add to your signature proudly Twisted Evil
Also, if you really have to quit and don't know when you can play the rest of the game, conceding seems polite.
...and conceding, or retiring a team is usually hard enougth.
...and 2 touch or 3 cas are more spp than 1 MVP, so who knows if your oponent has any benefit if you concede...
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2005 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Im going down with the ship. I had a team receive 6 SIs on thier first game. I had 2 guys on the pitch, and he still didnt score that 5th TD. Theres no way Im letting a guy take my MVP, and my money! He can get his own. I got mine the hard way, so can he.

Jeffro
 Jump to: