43 coaches online • Server time: 19:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Pulpo_Fiction

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2009 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like no to wait so much time to get a game. I think that every 15mins would be better, people would play more and we'd have more coaches in the BL Bx to schedule games.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2009 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Tinkywinky wrote:
westerner wrote:
I think some R coaches view tournaments as the most competitive (and enjoyable) format.

Wouldn't they be playing in the league division then? The only unique feature of the ranked division is that it is open, non-scheduled play?

The [R] division tournaments are closed scheduled play.

[L]eague division also has open play.

Why would a person play [L] if they find [R] more enjoyable?

Almost all games in ranked are open play, most (or at least a large part) of the games in L are scheduled. I was only saying that if people play R for tournaments they have certainly chosen the wrong division. (or rather, I don't think Westerner isn't correct in his assessment of what would make R coaches play B.)

Also you can add me for the tournament suggestion.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2009 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Pulpo_Fiction wrote:
I would like no to wait so much time to get a game. I think that every 15mins would be better, people would play more and we'd have more coaches in the BL Bx to schedule games.

I too would be in favour of a draw every 15 minutes. However, I just don't think the numbers in [B] could support doubling the draws at this time.

"I hear that shadow is a douchebag"
-Mr Foulscumm
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
Pulpo_Fiction wrote:

I too would be in favour of a draw every 15 minutes. However, I just don't think the numbers in [B] could support doubling the draws at this time.

It wouldnt really hurt the division. However - I cant see it achieving much either, there just arent enough people at the moment.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The box needs purpose to attract players.

Monthly two top teams in the box sounds awesome, a real pit fight for the throne, suits blackbox all the way !
I would like tournaments somewhat similar to the tournaments in ranked, though with different fluff,
other races hosting the tournaments, dorfs ?
Making it interesting for many more players, and fulfilling the lost purpose in blackbox.
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2009 - 03:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever it looks like, that seems to be the prevailing criticism of the Box. It needs a grand overarching theme. Whether that's majors or whatever, people are saying it needs a goal (at least, that's my take). To this end, I say we get Christer to appoint a Blackbox Majors Commitee (one Commish would be better, but it's a lot of work), with the expressed purpose of creating a tournament circuit for Black Box. We'll need the go ahead from Christer et all, of course, but I see no reason to not go ahead with this, the next most pressing need expressed by the Blackbox community.

-Mr Foulscumm
Jon_Guitard

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2009 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I happily second Snappy's motion. Enough talk, we have some good ideas of what people want. Let's get some hands up for who's willing to make these things happen. I don't know how much I can accomplish, but you can count on me to help any way I can.
Zero1BB

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2009 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The only problem I have with the box is that in order for me to control which team I'm using I can only have the 1 team. I love playing against random opponents but I can't give up what team I want to use. So I guess what I want is to be able to have multiple teams and when I activate 1 that's the team that's activated, not all of them.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2009 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Zero1BB wrote:
The only problem I have with the box is that in order for me to control which team I'm using I can only have the 1 team. I love playing against random opponents but I can't give up what team I want to use. So I guess what I want is to be able to have multiple teams and when I activate 1 that's the team that's activated, not all of them.

Ditto.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2009 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Zero1BB wrote:

Ditto.

Then I guess the box isn't for you. You should lobby for a random matcher in Ranked then.

P.S.: I'm going to murder your chaos, Zero

-Mr Foulscumm
Chingis

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2009 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Why can't the Box be for that Snappy?

There's no fundamental reason why you shouldn't be able to activate with one team because you want to (especially while it is possible to activate with one team because you only have one). The idea doesn't break any fundamental essence of Blackbox, does it?
Zero1BB

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2009 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
koadah wrote:
Zero1BB wrote:

Ditto.

Then I guess the box isn't for you. You should lobby for a random matcher in Ranked then.

P.S.: I'm going to murder your chaos, Zero

To late!
Snappy_Dresser

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2009 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Chingis wrote:

There's no fundamental reason why you shouldn't be able to activate with one team because you want to (especially while it is possible to activate with one team because you only have one). The idea doesn't break any fundamental essence of Blackbox, does it?

The Box was supposed to be the ultimate test of coaches. Random team (of yours) vs random opponent. If it were up to me, you would HAVE to play at least 3 (very) different teams. But most people just seem to want it so they don't have to work to get a game for their Dwarfs, so no, in that spirit, I guess it is black box.

-Mr Foulscumm
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2009 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Snappy and that should also be added to the improvement list. Coaches should have at least 3 very different teams in the box for the selector to choose from. I do not mind the variety now, but it would be a better test.

Also, three teams is not too much to ask. If everyone had three teams you would get games with your favorite regularly enough.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2009 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
Chingis wrote:

The Box was supposed to be the ultimate test of coaches. Random team (of yours) vs random opponent. If it were up to me, you would HAVE to play at least 3 (very) different teams. But most people just seem to want it so they don't have to work to get a game for their Dwarfs, so no, in that spirit, I guess it is black box.

How many of the coaches who favour a minimum 3 teams already have 3 teams? i.e. You don't get many new teams just lose a number of coaches.

The more narrow you make the goals of the box the fewer coaches you are going to get.

Jump to: