37 coaches online • Server time: 09:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dode74

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
koadah wrote:

Calling people pathetic because they prefer 3D graphics? How does that sound? Wink
How does it sound? To me it sounds right, how does it sound to you?
It sounds to me like a judgement on other peoples' opinion of what they value in a game. I'm not sure why you'd want to go judging opinions in that manner, as I'm sure you wouldn't want your opinions called pathetic, especially on a matter which is purely subjective.

But hey, that's just my opinion Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

That's fine, I just don't get how this could be construed as elitist or anything else, other than my opinion.

Frankly I've always felt that those people that care so much about graphics in games over substance tend to be the sort of idiots that think films are no good unless the CGI is state of the art and there is at least 1 car chase in.

It's very very sad.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Avatar was the best film evar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

OK I agree with Garion on this.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Except that it is the same game.

It sounds as though you think anyone who likes CGI is an idiot. Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

No, it's meant to be the same game, except their version is slower, has horrible camera angels, far more game breaking bugs, lacks all of the teams, also lacks all of the star players and the GUI is not as intuitive. The only thing cyanide has going for it is the graphics which aren't great anyway.

I like CGI if it used to support the narrative. I tend not to like films where CGI is the narrative.
dode74

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I think perhaps it's a much a matter of the terms used. Graphics appeal to some people, certainly as an initial impression (people do judge books by their covers, at least at first). Some people actually did like Avatar and did not consider it a total waste of several hours of their life (which was my opinion); other people would rather watch an old Hitchcock film. Horses for courses, but to call someone's preference "pathetic" can certainly be construed as elitist.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow plenty of word twisting going on here. IIRC Garion didn't actually call anyone pathetic. He said choosing a piece of software for a tactical game like BB for the graphics, was pathetic.

This in my mind meant; there are so many more important features that need to be right for the game to play properly, that (in Garion's opinion) great graphics are so far down the list, they're importance is negligible.

So he feels it's a pathetic reason to choose a game (like BB).
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

There's no word twisting going on at all. If he wants to stick with the word 'pathetic' then that is how quite a few people will take it.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
koadah wrote:

No, it's meant to be the same game, except their version is slower, has horrible camera angels, far more game breaking bugs, lacks all of the teams, also lacks all of the star players and the GUI is not as intuitive. The only thing cyanide has going for it is the graphics which aren't great anyway.

I like CGI if it used to support the narrative. I tend not to like films where CGI is the narrative.

All good reasons to prefer Fumbbl but no need to be an arse about it.

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Wow plenty of word twisting going on here. IIRC Garion didn't actually call anyone pathetic. He said choosing a piece of software for a tactical game like BB for the graphics, was pathetic.
Irony here Wink
I didn't say he called anyone pathetic, I said he said that people had pathetic opinions.

Quote:
This in my mind meant; there are so many more important features that need to be right for the game to play properly, that (in Garion's opinion) great graphics are so far down the list, they're importance is negligible.
Which is a far better way of putting it.

Quote:
So he feels it's a pathetic reason to choose a game (like BB).
Which is a judgement on the opinion, which is the issue. You like mint choc chip ice cream? Pathetic! Wink
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

HM is spot on, I'm not being arse about it as I am posting on fumbbl, its not like I went on cyanides forum and called them a load of pathetic morons, though that would be amusing Very Happy

Also pathetic isn't the strongest word ever. Its not like i said they deserve a plague on their houses for their stupidity.

As Hm said pathetic was referring to the fact -
Quote:

there are so many more important features that need to be right for the game to play properly, that (in Garion's opinion) great graphics are so far down the list, they're importance is negligible.

So he feels it's a pathetic reason to choose a game (like cyanide over fumbbl).

it's hardly being an arse is it, it's a perfectly rational and reasonable assessment of things. Wink

but I guess people that spent as much money as they have on shiny poo will defend it.

Last edited by Garion on %b %08, %2012 - %13:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I'm just highlighting the difference between calling someone pathetic and saying a reason to buy a game is a pathetic reason.

I'll stay out of the elitism argument, as this thread's dirty enough.
dode74

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Garion - Maybe if you'd put it that way then it wouldn't have come across as elitist Wink
Who's defending shiny poo?

@ - HM - Nobody said anyone called anyone pathetic, and nobody did, so it's a rather nugatory point.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

dode74 wrote:

@ - HM - Nobody said anyone called anyone pathetic, and nobody did, so it's a rather nugatory point.

Well I'm saying that.........so it isn't nugatory. Confused
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2012 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so my last linkage didn't bring the love for Dungeon Bowl, but this will...

For the low price of $4.99 you can make your dungeons look like they are, ...outdoors!
 Jump to: