58 coaches online • Server time: 15:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Meat Grinder Season ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sp00n

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2005 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I brought this up last season and i had only heard positive feedback, so i figure since we're discussing next season already, i'd bring it up again...

How about changing the value of a draw to 3 points?

At the moment is u have a season result of 4-0-3 u get 23 points.
And for a result of 3-4-0 you also get 23 points.

now surely the second result is the better... how can one win and 2 losses be better than 3 draws?
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I kinda like it the way it is. Wins should always be more important since it encourages exciting blood bowl. Rather the tension in the gamble of going for the win rather than the droll 4 turn stall for the draw.

Bob_Borc now also does something like a magic 8 ball.

Use "swl bob <question>" to trigger it.

Cheers,
Snorri.
Twahn

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2005 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I was going to post something this morning along the same lines... we originally made the difference so great to actively encourage people to go for the win no matter the cost, a draw being in essence only marginally better than a loss.
I think it works well this way.

At present we've got 5-2-1, with 0 for a forfeit loss. I'd be willing to perhaps give 0 for a loss and negative points for the forfeit loss, but definately don't think a draw should be placed in the middle ground between the two.

Winners win in my books. Losers draw.
Harsh I know... Wink

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
Satans_mechanic

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 03:03 Reply with quote Back to top

some draws are hard fought contests between equally able teams

-shrug-

I'll play whatever the scoring system is Razz

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The scoring is based on the soccer 3-1-0 system and then tweaked to ensure that forfeit losses are worse than regular losses.

If the points for draws collectively are more than a win, then that is a bigger problem and you "may" see people mutually playing for the draw.
PLATYPUS

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 04:43 Reply with quote Back to top

If it would be based on the soccer system it should be 4-2-1 and 0.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 05:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe we had discussed making it 5/2/0/-1 - in fact I thought we'd actually agreed to do this prior to Season 11. I still think its a good idea.

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Bob...learning again.

Not much of a Bob is he!

Got bob doing a very basic form of lfg for our fringe group atm. Hopefully I'll be able to add to the script (include the ability to trigger teams via keywords) and get it up to something more like bowlbot over the next couple of weeks.

Summary of what Bob can currently do followed by the command to trigger it:

Match reports - automatic
Dice Rolls - swl d#
Bob's Magic 8 Ball - swl bob <question>
LFG Fringe - swl lfg fringe
LFG Ranked - swl lfg ranked

They should all be quiet (no beeping by default in Mirc at least) from now on. If they do beep, check your sound preferences for channel messages.

Cheers,
Snorri

Last edited by Snorri on %b %19, %2005 - %13:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

What if we can't do that because we need those exact same beeps for other things? I need them for messages I get on the approval channel.

Why do we need beeps for something we can easily look up ourselves if we want to? If we were interested in SWL happenings at the time we'd be in #swl anyways, and the reddy brown writing makes it easy enough to pick the results out if you're looking through the chat records anyway.

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2005 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

You're a grumpy old fart mate!

This is what I was trying to explain to you earlier...I think these were two separate sound events. If it was just the one, I'd have dumped it straight away. I dont *usually* deliberately go out of my way to annoy you Wink

Anyway, have reverted them back to channel messages, so default mirc behaviour for those of you who have it, shouldn't beep.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 02:49 Reply with quote Back to top

All outstanding games at present have an extension until 10pm tonight Sydney time...

Please email the admins if issues are still arising...
Sp00n

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

"If the points for draws collectively are more than a win, then that is a bigger problem and you "may" see people mutually playing for the draw."

3 each = 6

5 winner, 1 loser = 6

No advantage there.

Well in this lovely democratic country we live in, i'm going to disagree with you lot.

We always play for the win, i don't think drawn games should collectively lose points on games with results.

When I watch other peoples games in my div nowadays I root for a draw, knowing that they will only get 4 points between them Smile
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 04:06 Reply with quote Back to top

1 win and 3 loses 8pts is equal to 4 draws.. GOOD

your proposed setup
4 draws would be 12pts.

I like the fact a Win means alot.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00n wrote:

When I watch other peoples games in my div nowadays I root for a draw, knowing that they will only get 4 points between them Smile

Exactly... Whilst you may be speccing and thinking of the draw, the players actually playing are thinking "shit I better do something outrageous to go for that win" because they know drawing means you fall behind the winners a smidgen over half a win.

That is why soccer went from 2-1-0 to 3-1-0 to encourage attacking play for the win. Bloodbowl, being a low scoring game, has a similar "problem"* and hence we should encourage attacking play.

*Note: We have never had anyone actually deliberately play for a draw yet took this approach just in case.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2005 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, as a counter-example, the Vanguard vs Zen Adepts game last season saw the Chaos Dwarves play for and get a draw. I remember being surprised at the time and foolishly saved my rerolls thinking the pointy-hat beards wouldn't stall for the draw.

But...it turned out to be a really astute decision by Flo. Had my Vanguard not lost to their bogey team in the next and final round (the Avalanche) it would have seen Zen and Vanguard on top with 28pts, Avalanche on 27pts and Zen getting the premiership by countback.
 Jump to: