45 coaches online • Server time: 15:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Delaying TDs, good strategy or cheesy exploit?
good strategy
73%
 73%  [ 648 ]
cheesy exploit
26%
 26%  [ 238 ]
Total Votes : 886

johan_vald

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2003 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not voting because both are true to some extent. It obviously is an effective strategy if so many use it. It is, however, also somewhat bad mannered. It think it is a tactic that should be used only on occasion much like fouling. If I were to play someone who used that strategy excessively, stalling the first half for several turns I would feel fre to foul liberally. If the stalled the last half long enough to prevent me from having a chance to score again I would feel free to foul on the last turn.
I am not complaining about the tactic, I may use it from time to time but I have never held for more than one turn.

In the end it needs to be used responsibly, as their is another human on the other end trying to enjoy the game too.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2003 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Bottom line is if you defend well enough and deep enough then teams can't stall against you

its just as cheesy as scoring in 2 turns like skaven and elf teams do, they are both perfectly valid methods of playing the game

Why should a team not stall for an entire half? Why should they leave you enough turns so you can score and win the game?

If you stopped moaning about stalling and actually learned how to defend against it properly using good positioning of your players then there wouldn't be this sort of arguement coming up.

My skaven recently beat samuli (iirc) and his orc team, he was doing the typical orc cage down the pitch like i would expect him to do, if you watch the replay you will see that its totally possable to make it hard for him to cage down the pitch let alone get down there and stall. Sure it won't work every time but the same can be said when i defend against the elven 2 turn touchdown as well, sometimes they are still going to be able to get away with it. Thats the nature of the game. It works both ways, adjust your tactics and learn to better yourself as a coach with strategy instead of moaning about it.
Franz

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2003 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

If you ca score in 2 turns and I need 4 to do the same, i simply take 6.
So you can't win 2-1

If you can score in1 turn i take 7 turns to score for the same reason.
HoboJed

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

lord_real wrote:
I have almost stopped playing dwarfs with any elven team nowadays because i have on two occasions been stalled for entire halfs.
How else do you expect dwarf teams to beat elf teams as consistently? A dwarf team is hard pressed to score in 3 turns, and depending on how well the opponent defends, can really have to push to score within 5. If your opponent shows amazing offensive skills scoring in 2 turns, and then when it comes to defending he seems to have forgotten that he is ment to stop you from scoring (they don't want to get their guys hurt, and why bother if they can just negate the dwarves' TD with another of their own?), and you then score as quickly as possible (3 to 4 turns depending on how much of an effort the opponent is putting into making it look like he is trying to stop you), then your "good sportsmanship" will be repayed by another 2 turn touchdown and not enough time to equalize before the end of the half.... if then in the second half you once again score within 3 to 4 turns (hey, where did all their players go again?) and then they make yet another 2 turn touchdown, they can easily hold you off with a proper defense for the rest of the half (after all, they weren't getting bashed in the rest of the game, so they have plenty of players left to defend with).

What it all boils down to is that the only real reason a player will have a chance and a reason to stall (barring exceptional circumstances) is that you were purposly playing down on defense for a tactical advantage. How is that any less cheesy than purposly playing down on offense (aka stalling) for a tactical advantage?

So often I've played games where I would make an advance down one wing of the field just to see only a few of my opponents players come to have a look at what is going on....the rest seem to think my dwarves might make a run over to the other wing before they can, or something. Why should I play on their terms by scoring as fast as possible (which is obviously what they want me to do)?

The best games I've played against elves is when my opponent strategicly positions his players using his greater movement capabilities to prevent me from scoring. And it usualy works out better for his team as I have to focus more on advancing my position whilst keeping the ball safe, rather than picking off players.

If this doesn't apply to you, and you aren't purposly easing off on the defense.....well I suggest you work on your defensive game, rather than moan that you opponent isn't letting you play offensivly.... Rolling Eyes
Franz

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems that Elves coaches don't want allows Dwarfs ones to use their strategy, defining them unsportsmanlike, but they will go on with 1tscorer, long passing game and rapid flees!

Elves runs, elves pass, Dwarves go forward slowly and hit hard.

If you don't want Dwarves to hit, and delay, so move 5 squares with elves and don't dodge.

I play elves in my town league, and i don't bother Dwarf coaches asking them not to delay. I hit their runners with my WarDancers.
polar

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 04:40 Reply with quote Back to top

are you kidding me?

i cant beleive these polls even get set up!

blocking , fouling and delaying plays are all part of the god damn game! that is why the abilities are there, each caoch has their own way of playing from tactically to just plain violent. None of them are wrong and anyone who complains they lost because of dirty play so be it Mad you take on a team you take the consequences.

Its meant to be a violent unfair game which makes it that much more fun, stop being a big bunch of girls and if you dont like how someone plays, dont play them again.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I stall. Therefore it must be good.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 06:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Simply put...

It´s a good tactic according to those who need to do it, it´s a cheesy exploit according to those who don´t.
karix

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 06:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I was against stalling when I first started playing - I thought it horrendously unfair and my mates and I had on going arguments about the virtues of stalling and not stalling. It was all ended when i was watching football one day and it was pointed out to me exactly how much professional sportsmen stall in order to secure a win.

If its acceptable in the professional sporting arena then why wouldn't it be acceptable on an amatuer level....

-karix
Franz

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

yesterday a Norse team stalled al the first half against my Rookie Woodies....
But I played to slow his march to my EZ and blitzing his ballcarrier every turns...
result? One blitzer niggling, and first half ended 0-0

In second half I scored twice and win 2-1.
dertre

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah a common reaction and it's mine is trying to hurt whatever player i can during a stall (including fouling too).
In order to keep his player safe the staller has at least 2 or 3 players used near the line, it reequilibrates the play in the field.

same for PO players Smile they will get fouled lol
Jared

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

yes stalling is valid in certain cases, ie its turn 6 second half, the scores are tied and if you gfi you score, instead you wait a turn ensuring victory and not falling over,

or a turn or 2 delay to give you a chance against 1 turners,

the problem is when ou have orcs say and on turn 2 there is an orc right there who with a gif can score, who then stays there till turn 8 with the whole team surrounding him, i mean come on,

XXXtreme ball with added XX
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Jared,

Just pick off the corners of the square every turn, eventually even orcs will start to die. And the real issue is that you let him get one square away from your EZ Smile

P.S. most orc coached won't risk a GFI if they feel they can score the next turn - it's just too risky.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

THE FINAL WORD

Who cares? I sometimes stall to piss my opponent off. Anythoughts on this? Twisted Evil
Gimoboy

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2003 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Why score if u can wait and bash ur opponents its a key to win every game for my cd team, i alwys wait if i can so a elf team dont get a 2 turn TD thats so easy for elfs.
Thats not stalling for me its a strategi to win, only elfs call it stalling.
 Jump to: