62 coaches online • Server time: 21:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
duderman

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2003 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't matter what my fan factor starts off as, eventually it will always end up at one cause i'm a natural 1 ff roller (that natural 1 could care less if you won, lost, or tied)
Delta

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2003 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

[soapbox]
On the tabletop game I never bothered much with fan factor when starting a team.
But then...this isn't the tabletop.....this is Fumbbl. Wink
Of the 11 different kick-off results 4 of them include your fan factor.
Winning these rolls can often have a huge influence on the match. (imagine losing 6 players from a field invasion on T1 of the game).
More importantly, the higher the fan factor, the higher the gate, the higher the money.
[/soapbox]
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2003 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkwolf wrote:
Hey, I agree Mez, but the condescending tone is what I don't like. I CONTRADICT what bunny is saying is his 'better' opinion for team creation. I've done both with equal success. Starting a post to ALL NEW COACHES, HERE IS THE FORLULA TO MAKING GOOD TEAMS, is kinda arrogant don't you think?

Bunny never said anything like what you are attributing to him. He never said his way was better, he never said this was the end all way to make teams. He said it was a suggestion that helped him, and explained why. You are the only person who has brought condescension and a poor attitude into this thread. No one is disputing your right to disagree, but disagreeing in such a snarky way is childish.

You say that front loaded teams can work, and imply that poor coaching is why they don't for many. How many new coaches have those good coaching skills you say are needed? This thread is meant to help people new to the game and it does.
Grumbledook

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2003 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I have made this a sticky as i think it will be useful

the ff article klipp was on about is on www.blood-bowl.net

something i believe that has been missed out about a high fanfactor along with the winnings is the fact you want to give yourself the best chance of winning the rerolls on the kick off table, you might say you don't need that rr so you don't care but the fact you get it also means your opponent doesn't and they might have needed it. The less rerolls a team has the more chance of turnovers and thus losing matches (humans are probably the only team who can get away with less cause of all the starting skills but i still place more importance in rerolls early)

the other point is the pitch invasion, throw a rock, get the ref results, you really don't want to be on the recieving end of these if you can help it, they can cripple a team in their first match, what use is bulking out with expensive players only to lose them early on and then get yourself in a posisition where you can't get the money in to replace them

sure you can start teams front loaded but its those rosters that aren't able to recover from an early bout of bad luck
JadeKnight

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2003 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I started out with 1 (yes, that's "one", "uno", "eune", "ichi", etc.) Fan Factor with my team, the Lothern Sea Drakes.

Finally, this last match, we went up to 2. And, I admit, it's sucked having low FF.

However: despite a poor/rough/slow start, I'm improving my strategies, learning how to use my team, and getting decent at it.

We're currently 4/2/2. That's twice as many wins as losses for a team with only 1 FF. And it's a High Elf team, at that.

Of course, the Low FF fits with the team's history and all, and it's fun to write about.

The primary reason I chose to go for positional players over FF is that I HATE having my position players lower down on the ranking. They should be up at the top, Numbers 1-6, where they are on the Sea Drakes.

But I'm just picky that way.
Fudge

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2003 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

You do know you can pick the numbers for the players when you buy them. I often save a couple of low numbers for players i will buy later on.
Dog44221

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2004 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I am new, My first two team have a low FanFactor and I wish I would have invested more into it.

I figured you will get an extra 10k with an higher FanFactor per game so it will take 8 games to recoupe my lost investment. I had no idea of the long term I just wanted to play. I figured if I invested in a better team I would win hence getting an Extra 10k for that game. So I didn't need the fan factor.

But what I didn't realize is that the fan factor helps so much on the kick offs. I believe I have lost games because of the kick off rolls.
Emberglow

Post 12 Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

it's been established that high ff and at least 2 RR are, if not necessary, then at least VERY helpful in getting your team going in long term.

then here's an advice for a power-hungry n00b, do NOT begin playing bloodbowl with an ogre team Very Happy I know, the prospect of some day fielding 11 ST5 players with mighty blow really makes you itch, but it is impossible to give a starting ogre team 2rr and a FF over 2...

I've never played with Ogres yet myself. I do have a team ready but now i think i might have to trash it and make new one before it's too late.

what do you think, should a starting ogre team get only one RR (even though they are going to need a lot of RRs for sure...) and use that money on high FF and an apothecary? i think they should (but guess if built my team on those guidelines Embarassed )
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Emberglow wrote:
then here's an advice for a power-hungry n00b, do NOT begin playing bloodbowl with an ogre team Very Happy I know, the prospect of some day fielding 11 ST5 players with mighty blow really makes you itch, but it is impossible to give a starting ogre team 2rr and a FF over 2...

I added an Ogre Setup to the User Guide here: http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=OgreSetUp

I would advise any newcomers to avoid the Ogre team to start with as it is one of the harder rosters to play with (great for maiming, but hard to win is what I mean). Starting off with a Human team is probably the best way to learn the game. Orc, Norse, Amazon and the new Elf roster are also nice for new coaches wanting to get a team off the ground quickly.
Waiwode

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, although I wish I'd taken a higher FF now, I'm 4/2/2 and have had the money to buy an apothecary, an extra blitzer, an extra thrower, and an extra re-roll after 8 games. I had a lineman killed in my second game (proving that an apothecary may be great, but they aren't a guarantee), so was very happy that I'd bought a "12th Spot" lineman.

In hindsight those points could have been spent better, but I don't think it's headed for the dust-bin just yet.

Doug.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2004 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr-Klipp wrote:
taking the maximum FF is mathematically proven to be a huge payoff

This is a good primer to explain why you should maximize your Roth IRA contributions each year. I know I do!!

PS If it's within your budget you should then try to reach the 401k contribution percentage that your employer will match. Contributing beyond that percentage is up to you, but your fund will grow tax deferred until you retire.

PPS I like high fan factor

PPPS Girls are pretty
Ash

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2004 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

rosters are differents so creating strategies are differents too...

for elves, yes you MUST have a good ff at the begining cause TR grows very fast and this team need more money than other ones (player more expensive and died often). So yes, you must have good ff (at least 7). But you don t realy need a lot of RR... 1 is a hard way it s true but 2 it s far enough... in fact buying reroll double price is a good way to bring your TR down. Position player? you need some but you also need to give xp to linemen so for woodies and high elf, don t take catcher and for darkies don t take witch... they are expensive, fragile and are privileged target. So take 1 or 2 blitzer and maybe the thrower (for darkies, thrower is a discutable choice) and a lot of linemen.

For other team? mmmh... i think they can begin with only 5 or 6 FF and can get a lot of position player... the linemen cost often only 50K so with a correct FF you re sure to have 11 player for the kick off...

This is my point of view... of course you can disagree Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2004 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Get to ff 33 as quickly as possible.

There my tuppence, heh.

Flings Rule!
milnestar

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2004 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm afraid I can't agree. With my undead i started with 1 re-roll and 1 FF. They are now 274/235 with FF 17 and 7 re-rolls and the 5th best Undead team on TR in fumbbl. So no - not always the case. I reckon it only apples to teams where players are expensive to replace.
Coach_Lo

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2004 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I am soooo feeling the love. These vibrant discussions make my day. Seriously, I do thank one and all for their input. As a new player I do like to hear the advice and opinions of others, even if some of it is questionable.

Thanks Coach Lo

Jump to: