46 coaches online • Server time: 14:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
drbunny

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2008 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

things are prettyslow compare to the last one.
Zaghrog

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2008 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess quite many took up the idea of taking a break from these games in order to increase posting activity, many regular players haven't signed up yet even though it's been days since this thread opened. It doesn't seem that effective in my opinion, it might just put off potential new players.

The Oil Rig setup could really use this game to test the reconfigured rules, and it wouldn't be as much of a "rerun" if postponed for months.

Come on people, give the GM some credit and sign up!

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go...
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2008 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I`ll close the application. I can`t start now anyways, due to an upcoming vacation. So maybe after my vacation which would be in mid-september I`d be up for another run.
Zaghrog

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2008 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh well, I guess this is pac's chance to start what's been discussed over at the WW808 signup thread. Smile

pac

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2008 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Zaghrog wrote:
Oh well, I guess this is pac's chance to start what's been discussed over at the WW808 signup thread. Smile

I have to put it bluntly: the experience of the last game did not fill me with enthusiasm to run another one so quickly. If you guys can come up with a sign-up (or other) system that will enable us to ensure that we actually get players who will post then I may think about running another game soon.

Barring that, don't hold your breath. Razz
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2008 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

What we really need, is for one of the regular players to have a crack at being GM Wink

You don't need any fancy rules to GM, just start off with the basic game, 3 bad guys, 12 Good guys and if you wish maybe have one of them as a seer.

Once a game has been run under those rules, it's easy for the new GM to start to tailor his game towards his preference. You will notice the styles of pac, Circ, Spell and I are all somewhat different.

Soo, any volunteers from the play base to have a crack at GM?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2008 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Zaghrog wrote:

I have to put it bluntly: the experience of the last game did not fill me with enthusiasm to run another one so quickly. If you guys can come up with a sign-up (or other) system that will enable us to ensure that we actually get players who will post then I may think about running another game soon.

Barring that, don't hold your breath. Razz

I was thinking about using a scoring system in the Forum Alert Group. Each time a game ends, the score would be modified. Something along the lines of:
Playing a game: Halve current points
Posting one/twice a day: +0
Posting 3+ times a day: +2
Posting 5+ times a day: +3
Posting oneliners most of the time: -1
3+ Flavorful posts in character: +1
Good Roleplaying in most of the posts: +2
Being a real asset to once team (team MVP): +2
Missing voting 2+ times: -1
Days without post: -2 per day
Had to be replaced due to inactivity: -5

Those scoring points are only guidelines. Basically after the game the GM would compile a list with scores based on performance. Groupstaff would halve the points of the people, then add whatever score was given.

That would generate a score for each player that fluctuates around zero (=neutral). As for each game scores are halved, the score moves towards zero in time, so bad games will be forgotten in time - as will be really good games.
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2008 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Circ, I like the sound of that system a lot in theory ... but in practice as GM I am never going to compile all that info in addition to what I have to anyway! Very Happy
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2008 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Well.. you can compile it something like 2 weeks after the game is done... or just give scores between -5 and +5 by gut-instinct, post the list after the game is done and let players discuss, if the scores are fair or not.
Zaghrog

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2008 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

So we'd use the points system to limit who could join a game? How would new players be able to join if they've never played before?

The points system above definitely needs tweaking, but I'd support it. However, I don't see what the purpose would be. So before we do anything more about how to distribute points, we should have an idea of what we're actually doing with the points.

Joining the Alert Group is another thing that hampers the system, as not all players join it. There may be several reasons for this, and I completely understand if one might not want to join the group. On the other hand, I suppose we do have rather a wide player base already in the group though, so it might not be as much of a problem.

Lastly: I don't think we are likely to ever reach the activity level witnessed in for example the original Vampires and Thralls game. Times have changed, and more importantly, the players have changed. Many of the people who used to participate in these games in the past are no longer playing. In fact, there are very few coaches that I remember from my first experiences (maybe two years back?) in Werewolf gaming that still play. Obviously I haven't played in every game and I certainly wasn't the one starting up the "tradition" but those older games had a lot more action going on and in my opinion that was because of what the players were like. There were plenty of plain silly posts and innocents would bash each other more (this might not be a good thing, but it increased the posting Very Happy ), and in general those games seemed to have a lighter atmosphere. I guess in those days, people would commit to the games more, while the recent games have had plenty of barely contributing players (there were good reasons for much of this I'm sure, but I think my point still stands).

So basically if more people could be bothered to post more than the " Vote <player> because <insert one or two short sentences here>" once a day, we might get a snowball effect rolling. People might pick up on "fluff trends" and other lighter stuff when others have already started them.

One more thing: I might consider being GM again, but I haven't got a setup ready and more importantly, I still need to use the school computers to fulfill all of my Internet needs. I'm not sure when I'm going to get a connection working in my flat, so until I do I'm not gonna start one even if I have a setup.

Zaghrog

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2008 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh, sudden developments in my situation: I'm posting this from my flat! This provides a better chance of me actually setting up a game. Of course, if someone else wants to do it, I'm all for it. It's still not certain whther I'm gonna start one or not.

Soulmask

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2008 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Signup Dannyboy

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
Soulmask

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2008 - 06:06 Reply with quote Back to top

*hides his face in shame* did I miss something? this game won't happen? /cry

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2008 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

True, this game won't happen. I don't think this has happened before though, so it's not that bad a mistake. However, keep your eyes peeled as I might start one: this is still a "maybe" though. In the meantime, have you joined the Forum Games Alert Group yet? Here's the link:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=5576

By joining you will be able to receive mass PMs sent by the group staff. When a new game is opening, the GM can inform everyone in the group (assuming that GM has been made a staff member by pac).

CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2008 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Well.. this game WILL happen sometime. Though it will probably be in roughly 3-4 weeks.
 Jump to: