27 coaches online • Server time: 08:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Beta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

PhrollikK wrote:
#9. There is no you and they. You are FUMBBL, it is what you make of it.

Thats the single most important thing to understand IMO.

You only have as much fun as you let yourself. A great example of this is disconnects. Some people assume they're genuine and happily follow the procedure while other people immidiately assume the worst and get themselves really worked up and annoyed as a consequence... just chill, connections do drop in the real world. Not only does it make you directly happier but it means other people probably get a better impression of you and will probably be more inclined to be kind and have a laugh.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm at 0.84. I don't think it's all that bad!

I thought I would have less.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion anyone taking more than 2 dp is preying on a broken gamemechanic. Therefore i dont play anyone with 3 or more dps.
But hell, all you need to know is to have fun Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullockist wrote:
In my opinion anyone taking more than 2 dp is preying on a broken gamemechanic. Therefore i dont play anyone with 3 or more dps.
But hell, all you need to know is to have fun Smile

How are the SWL admins handling this?
funnyfingers

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It is great if your opponent fouls a lot. Don't foul back and let him get taken off the pitch. Just position your players for it.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

11- If you consistently feel you're unlucky, chances are you are just bad at the game, or facing a better coach that is making you feel unlucky. Become better at the game, and you will see how both your real and your perceived luck will improve. This is probably the single most important advice for a good Bloodbowl experience, and one I've seen even veterans have troubles with. But it's SO true.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

SWl is different it's a league.
For reference last time i played shadow, he got 4 + kicks in before the ref took notice, so dont think the anti foul tactic works

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullockist wrote:
SWl is different it's a league.
For reference last time i played shadow, he got 4 + kicks in before the ref took notice, so dont think the anti foul tactic works

It works half the time. Wink

Better positioning is the greater ploy to avoid the boot I find. And some teams simply need to use the boot.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Markela

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

funnyfingers wrote:
It is great if your opponent fouls a lot. Don't foul back and let him get taken off the pitch. Just position your players for it.

Its never great when your opponent fouls you. He can decide when and where to foul. Which usually means he will target some of your best players. So chanses are he will send your player off the field and get banned himself. But you just lost one of your best players and he lost a pretty insignificant player. Hence the tradeoff is in his favor.

And as for the advice to all the newbies.
Spectate matches, see and learn what the more experienced players do (and what they dont).
See the first 20 games or so as a learning experience. Chances are your opponents have alot more games under their belt and more tricks up their sleeve.
Ansbach

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice: if you think you lost because of bad luck, there's probably about a 90% chance that you were just out-coached. Suck it up, learn from it and enjoy the free Blood Bowl lessons - there are plenty of coaches here that will be happy to give them to you! Razz
Mezir

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2009 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a tongue-in-cheek edit of a speech that was attributed to Kurt Vonnegut, although it turned out that was a hoax. It's still a good piece of writing.

Ladies and gentlemen that coach on FUMBBL:

Play anybody.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, playing anybody would be it. The long-term benefits of playing anybody have been proved by experienced coaches, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of being a newbie. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of newbiehood until they've faded. But trust me, in 2 years, you'll look back at games you've played and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how carefree you really were. You are not as bad as you imagine.

Don't worry about your players' health. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to kill a Claw/RSC player by dodging away from them. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 pm on some idle Tuesday.

Play one team every day that scares you.

Score.

Don't be reckless with other coaches' players. Don't put up with coaches who are reckless with yours.

Foul.

Don't waste your time on whining. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The game is long and, in the end, it's still only a game.

Remember fun games you have played. Forget the whiners. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old match reports. Throw away your old match replays.

Go for it.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your team. The most interesting people I know didn't know the previous game what they wanted to do the next. Some of the most interesting coaches I know still don't.

Get plenty of fluids. Be kind to your wrists. You'll miss them when you develop RSI.

Maybe you'll win a tournament, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll build a legend, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll quit the game, maybe you'll dodge around a wall of dwarfs duyring your 10000th game. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your teams. Use them every way you can. Don't be afraid of them or of what other people think of them. They're the greatest instruments you'll ever own.

Dodge, even if you have nowhere to do it but into three tackle zones.

Read the site rules, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read about MA 6 one-turners. They will only make you feel stupid.

Get to know your fellow coaches. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your opponents. They're your best way to have fun and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in philosophy and playstyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were new.

Play a killer team once, but stop before it makes you hard. Elfball and cherrypick once, but stop before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Players will die. Cherrypickers will abuse the system. You, too, will become experienced. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were new, players never aged, there were fewer cherrypickers, and newbies respected experienced coaches.

Respect experienced coaches.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a friend who coaches. Maybe you know an admin. But you never know when either one might quit.

Don't let too many nigglers stay on your team, or by the time it's TR 200 it'll look TR 150.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on playing anybody.