15 coaches online • Server time: 04:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nachtogen

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm fine with the four categories. They filled up nicely last year, so I see no problems with that.
If you replace a category, it should be the high CR one, but I kinda liked that qualifier, as those were some cool games to spectate.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Nachtogen wrote:
I'm fine with the four categories. They filled up nicely last year, so I see no problems with that.
If you replace a category, it should be the high CR one, but I kinda liked that qualifier, as those were some cool games to spectate.

Of the 4 categories, this was probably the one that gave the best spec games, agreed. You were reasonably sure you weren't going to end up with a farce of a game where some shabby coach bloated his elves to 300TR without facing a real basher, then gets mauled by an orc coach who knows what he's doing.

Really though, my favorites to watch were the old teams. You knew the names and knew the coaches, and most of us had played these teams at some point, so they seemed familiar.

If any category is sacrosanct, it should be the old teams.
PainState

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

High CR is the only one that I think should be changed up. Allready some good ideas so I will let those be.

The big change is the prize lino. Scrap that and bring back the old FC prize of ANY postional player. You make that change and it will trully be right behind the FC when it comes to prizes.

If I had to make a choice of the previous suggestions I agree with pizza's ideas of highest Win % or Highest FF (The fans choice qualifier)

The only problem with highest FF is that the tie breaking to see who gets into the qualifier, if needed, would be a lot harder. I could see a lot of teams (12) tied at let say 17FF trying to get the last 4 spots. Atleast with win % the possibility for tie breakers is allmost 0. And of course the team that has 15 games and is 14-1, well then you have to judge the merits of the 14-1 if you want to go down that road. So I would go with FF and see how it plays out.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
The big change is the prize lino. Scrap that and bring back the old FC prize of ANY postional player. You make that change and it will trully be right behind the FC when it comes to prizes.

It would be cool if it was either any positional (i.e. no big guys but anything else) or a cap of say 90k, which would let you get a blitzer from most races. 70k seemed low for a cool toy. Another possibility would just be a straight-up list of prohibited players.

PainState wrote:

If I had to make a choice of the previous suggestions I agree with pizza's ideas of highest Win % or Highest FF (The fans choice qualifier)

I like FF over Win %, because it seems to be a bit more of an accomplishment to FF-up a team than to just pick your way to a great win %. There seem to be a fair number of 15/1/2 type teams out there with a rather low selection of opponents, if you know what I mean. I also like the fluff of the "fan's choice".
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

As I said, in my opinion all the 4 categories are ok.

Regarding the High CR one, I personally like it a lot for a couple reasons:

1) it puts all the best coaches in one qualifier, which means there will be a sort of pre-selection about who's gonna get to the final round, and It'll leave some spots open for good-but-not-excellent coaches.

2) A consequence of point 1: in order to avoid the toughest qualifier, a high CR coach has to be more than a CR whore (allow me the blunt term)... he either has to have a long-lived team, meaning he cares for fluff, or have a high TR team, meaning he cares for team development, or accept the challenge of trying to get to the final round with a less-than-optimal racial choice. All three things look very desiderable to me, and they help discriminate the CR-only kind of coaches from those who have other options. CR-only coaches get to play each other in a very tough qualifier. Those who kept different doors open can choose a different path.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 17:08 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
2) A consequence of point 1: in order to avoid the toughest qualifier, a high CR coach has to be more than a CR whore (allow me the blunt term)... he either has to have a long-lived team, meaning he cares for fluff, or have a high TR team, meaning he cares for team development, or accept the challenge of trying to get to the final round with a less-than-optimal racial choice. All three things look very desiderable to me, and they help discriminate the CR-only kind of coaches from those who have other options. CR-only coaches get to play each other in a very tough qualifier. Those who kept different doors open can choose a different path.

I have to say, IF I participate, it would be in the high CR. I guess that makes me a CR whore, because I
a) don't want to elfbowl my way to the top and neither have the patience to sit on the finder with a high TR basher, so I won't break TR250 anytime soon.
b) play with many teams instead of focussing my attention to 1 team
c) just don't happen to have a forlorn team anywhere near major competence, though I could elfbowl with my humans to mass up cash and enter.

A nice twist would be to give some categories a TR cap. So high CR coaches come in at 225, high TR (which would be renamed) at 250 and the other two categories at 275.

Or give forlorn teams a general boost and allow them to apply with 25 TR over the cap for each group.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
JanMattys wrote:

I have to say, IF I participate, it would be in the high CR. I guess that makes me a CR whore, because I
a) don't want to elfbowl my way to the top and neither have the patience to sit on the finder with a high TR basher, so I won't break TR250 anytime soon.
b) play with many teams instead of focussing my attention to 1 team
c) just don't happen to have a forlorn team anywhere near major competence, though I could elfbowl with my humans to mass up cash and enter.

A nice twist would be to give some categories a TR cap. So high CR coaches come in at 225, high TR (which would be renamed) at 250 and the other two categories at 275.

Or give forlorn teams a general boost and allow them to apply with 25 TR over the cap for each group.

Uhm, maybe a clarification is in order:
I do not have any negative feeling towards those with a High CR, or that care about CR more than anything. Actually, the only feeling I have towards them is a deep envy Very Happy

Also, re-reading my previous post I can see how it might seem that I would consider the High CR qualifier like a sort of a crappy qualifier for those sad people who are not interesting enough to enter one of the other three. Let me assure you that it's not my way of thinking. At all. A high CR coach able to win his qualifier would gain more bragging rights than any of the other qualifiers-winners, imho, and rightly so.

I was just suggesting that keeping some of the uber coaches in one happy high-end bloodbowl basket would be a good idea. It would give us incredibly interesting matches even in the qualifiers phase, and it would also operate a sort of natural selection that would grant all kinds of coaches a shot at the big prize of the final round. Both, to me, seem like good things.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if the prize is changed then I think ALL the postionals should be open. No cap on value or no big guys.

The prize is what makes it unique and fun. Yeah if you go with the default setting of the BoN, well so be it. Every one else will have fun killing it.

Plus I want a werewolf or vampire for my human team so IF I got to choose I would not go the default setting way.

The High CR group is the only one, as stated before, that is not focused on the actual team. Which is why I proposed if one group was to change that would be it.

But I have no problems at all just keeping it the same. The high CR coaches for the most part have earned that so let them battle it out. I know that a lot of high CR coaches would actually want to play against other high CR coaches for the challenge.

My experience agrees with circularlogic on this one. Most of the high CR coaches play with multiple teams so they dont have many "old" teams, if any. Also they dont generally play with a lot of forlorn races that could enter the tourney, back to the spreading games over multiple teams. So in the end high CR coaches are really stuck with choosing either high CR or high TR groups.

Based on last years tourney. IF you dont want to face the high CR coaches you basically had to enter forlorn or the Old group to avoid them.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Another reason (they keep coming to me!) why the high CR group should stay:
It's the only one focusing on the coach and not on the team, as others have pointed out.
BUT that's what makes it important.

Let's face it: to have a long living team one just has to be particularly stubborn. And to have a arbitrarly high TR team one just has to play Orcs or Dorfs. No skill involved in taking the Hellfish to 800 games, really.

On the other hand, to become one of the top ten coaches on Fumbbl CR wise takes SKILL, and a lot of it (yeah yeah cherrypicking blah blah blah but let's be honest, cherrypoicking only takes you so far).
I think being accepted in a Major is an accomplishment in itself. So, in all honesty, I think a high CR coach deserves that kind of reckognition much more than a long-living team coach does.

The High CR qualifier might be a bit poor on the fluff side, but surely it is the one that makes the most sense.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Disclaimer: Yes, I don't like / play in these things.

Point a: I think it would be strong if the thing stayed constant year on year. OK, so last year was a first, so a tweak is possible this year, but it's cool if people know where they are long term. I know people that play in these things like to prepare (please don't read between the lines; I care not for the arguments these days). Having said that; with the new rules, High TR might be a bit of a funny one; I know not how the dynamics of Inducements / Spiralling Expenses will work in the World of High TR Cups on site. Suck it and see I guess; but I can forsee a much leveller playing field. I'm actually thinking I might get involved when this happens, unless the rules play out differently than I forsee. Anyway, sidebar over.

Point b; I'd like to see a category that represented the everyman. Something that tempted in your new / less heavy user coaches. The four you have there exclude these guys. Something like Quick Application or QSTs like what we used to have, Guv'nor.

Just a muse in a spare couple of minutes. Folorn races seems great, whomever came up with that must be super sexy, don't drop that one. Wink

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %06, %2010 - %18:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Synn

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Screw it PC... go full retard gobbo style and double the number of categories:
-High TR
-Low TR
-High CR
-Low CR
-Forlorn Races
-Elves, Orcs, and Chaos Very Happy
-Oldest team
-Noobest team

Each group will have up to 16 teams (2 qualis) so think carefully about which one you apply to lest you not make the cut!

I am just saying... if I was a gobbo.. that's how I would roll.

__Synn
MadTias

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
I am just saying... if I was a gobbo.. that's how I would roll.

__Synn

So... you're saying... you're not a gobbo then? Confused
Aenir

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Replace High CR with Sneaky little Gitz (Goblins, it IS a goblin tournament/stunty) or perhaps Fan Favorites (teams with high FF) with Tiebreaks going to Win%?
Alibaba

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Replace "No of games" with Small ppl (Goblins, Halflings and dwarfs)
gjopie

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2010 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Alibaba wrote:
Replace "No of games" with Small ppl (Goblins, Halflings and dwarfs)

Dwarves may be small in height, but not in volume. Its all about their girth. Should be limited to just Goblins and Halflings.
 Jump to: