23 coaches online • Server time: 06:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
propuppetmaster

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be neat to try out some scheduled smacks to test out how (R) teams and (B) team mix in tourny environments.
We could try out different formats in the scheduled smack like:
1) 4 (R) teams & 4 (B) teams randomly paired vs each other
2) 4 (R) teams in one half withe winner playing the winner of the 4 (B) teams bracket
3) increase the smack to 16 teams and try out either of the first two options.

Some of the best fun for bloodbowl for me is playtesting different ideas and strategies of different teams.
Let's incorperate that into the (B) vs (R) debate.

From what I am seeing for high rated (B) teams is that they hardly get to play and you have to make several other lower rated teams to even be able to play anyway.
propuppetmaster

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 03:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Accidentally posted the same reply 0_o
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

freak_in_a_frock wrote:
The games statistic page also does not bear out that the Box harmed Fumbbl in anyway, with the of overall games being steady from when the box was created, only the cyanide release hit fumbbl hard, coincedently cyanide's impact on the box was negliable, but ranked was (and still is) hit very hard.

I think this is a popular misunderstanding. The huge decline in games in R is actually due to Emphasy getting banned. Razz

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
freak_in_a_frock wrote:
The games statistic page also does not bear out that the Box harmed Fumbbl in anyway, with the of overall games being steady from when the box was created, only the cyanide release hit fumbbl hard, coincedently cyanide's impact on the box was negliable, but ranked was (and still is) hit very hard.

I think this is a popular misunderstanding. The huge decline in games in R is actually due to Emphasy getting banned. Razz

Hehe. Smile

I also think you can read that games stats page in many ways; there have been numerous arguments over what it shows in the past in terms of Stunty, the argument could rage with no solution, tbh. For instance, I could point out that Blackbox was pretty much dead before tournaments were introduced, suggesting to me that it's not the scheduler people like, it's the 'fair' starting base for KO events. LRB6 will pretty much bring this anyway in the way Clog mentioned, so we'll have no need for the Box. Not sure I'm 100% on board with that view, but you see what I mean! Smile

Doubtless Cyanide has had some, short term effect (give it a little time, it‘ll be a distant memory). But we see more and more people make the jump from there to FUMBBL, so the reverse is also happening. In my opinion there is an effect splitting the player base in the way we have in the way Cloggy described. We can sit and argue over the graph - but it's also an effect you can feel in chat in a qualitative way. When you split coaches looking for games, there are going to be less games, it seems obvious!

I’m not sure you can go back at this stage, sadly. I’d object to being subjected to the whims of the box scheduler and having to play some Ramtutted up known idiot with 2 FF 15 TS down because it was the only game available, and no doubt there would be some outpouring of grief by the likes of On1 at being thrust back into the realm of cheats the other way (both vast exaggerations, but still…). Pandora’s box is open!

You need a mind more creative than mine to combine them in some way when the new client drops, but I do think it would be optimum for volume of games if we could.
On1

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
How about after the official release of the new client we get rid of the multitude of division we have right now and restore a healthy player base?

Spiraling expenses will largely remove the difference in maximum TR between box teams and teams in open play anyway. Just make 1 official division again where you can choose for yourself wether you want a box scheduled match or an open one.

I for one am convinced that that the obvious merits of the Box the split of official games into 2 divisions has been very harmful to Fumbbl as a whole.

That's the most sad idea ever :/

blackbox all the way!! gogo..
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

(See? Razz)
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol, I knew On1 would have his say when I started this thread.

If the B teams are allowed in the fumbbl cup then I think that would be enough. It would also elevate the fumbbl cups level of importance and help it be the most important major of the year.

As for the ranked and box debate I personally feel there is room for both once the new client is finished. The main problem this site is facing is not the split between box and ranked but the coming release of cyanides legendary edition which they are promising will be up to date and perfect representation of the game blah blah (personally I think it will most likely suck again)

To combat this I feel a better help section is needed for newcomers because this site is tricky to get to grips with for newcomers for these reasons and the noobs leagues such as the 145 club etc aren't brilliantly advertised.

Firstly the client isn't available here, obviously this will be solved once the new one is complete. But advice on how to find it, what it is called etc... would surely be allowed would it not?

More information about using irc and its different channels and its merits would be good.

Something to stress the importance of the rules and that there are some coaches on here that are very serious gamers etc.

I think it would be good to have something telling newcomers about the nature of the game, that people do take it seriously and will from time to time try and destroy their teams so they should not to get too attached to their teams and players.

More information about the different leagues and what they are about etc.

Easier to find the links to send admins stuff etc and just generally a tidy up.

Link etc to other useful BB sites such as naf, bbtactics,stunty leeg, talkfantasyfootball etc... would also be good if they aren't already on here.

I think if we had all of the above update and improved then I think more people would stay longer.

I do see new comers every so often but they never seem to last long, is it because the standard is that much better on here than the cyanide version? I don't know. It may be because there are a lot of players on this site who are quite brutal and foul a lot which is fine, but maybe it scares newcomers away because their understanding of the game from local leagues differs from how the game is played here. Who knows? But it is something to think about IMO.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2010 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The Cyanide thing will be whatever it will be. We haven't lost hardcore online Blood Bowlers, we've lost the casual guys that were primarily table toppers in it for fun and laughs and liked the prettier game. Yeah, there was a small percentage with the LRB 4 hatred, but in my opinion, that's a negligible amount (a view that comes from talking to a section of the table top community about things - if they don't FUMBBL now, it's not a rules thing. It's just they don't like playing the game online, but they are swayed sometimes by a super pretty representation). Infact, I was flicking through the coaches on the Championship front page yesterday (someone brought the thing up, don't ask, I know it's crap), and a few of the top ten had bios along the lines of 'Cyanide brought me back to BB, now I want a better product, here I am'. And hurrah for that. As time goes on, we'll only sweep more up. There is something in the point that we don't have the most user friendly site in the World and you have to work at it before you love it. But it's not awful, considering, you know, it's free!

LE will stretch the effect over FUMBBL for a few months - a year yet. It’s inevitable. However, the evidence so far suggests that they haven’t even got the first version right this far after release, online play still sucks, they’re annoying players by making them pay for a whole new game ontop of their initial purchase, and Cyanide still are yet to produce a ‘good’ mainstream video game of any sort, let alone something as complex as BB and an online community. In short - LE support will go up in smoke in a lifetime much shorter than the ongoing FUMBBL community has. We’ll win back casual players with the community and the new client as Cyanide falls over. It’ll just take time. Afterall, let's imagine it's ace and perfect - what are you going to do in two years? All the console versions are horrible, the PC version will look dated, the rules won't change, how can you justify Blood Bowl LE II? You can't. The very points that make it attracive now to some (graphics, razzmatazz, rules) are defunct. Support dies, no tournaments remain, dwindle, fail.

The recent downturn in games looks a lot worse than it is. FUMBBL hasn’t lost anything. We’re the small coffee shop that has had a soulless Starbucks open down the road. The difference here is that Cyanide doesn’t have the cash or skill to knock us out completely. Yes, this isn't FUMBBL's heyday at the moment, but who's to say that day isn't in the future - spurred on by the new online coaches Cyanide has helped create?

(Wow - off topic. Sorry - I'll shut up here on in.)
 Jump to: