37 coaches online • Server time: 14:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Where do you look for divine inspiration?
I am an atheist. No God worshiping for me.
31%
 31%  [ 19 ]
I worship Nuffle. All hail Nuffle.
19%
 19%  [ 12 ]
I follow some kind of mainstream religion (Christianity, Islam, Voodooism etc)
21%
 21%  [ 13 ]
I secretly make small fires in my garden and dance around them in worship of Christer.
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Macavity (that is, pie, OR I worship Macavity).
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
I follow some other God(s), you damned other pagan heathens (list below).
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 61

Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2011 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

actually the trend seems to be true even today.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2011 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure Rome hit their peak before switching.......

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2011 - 02:02 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, they did quite well...

...until they tried to kill off the Christians.

Not only did their pagan empire fail to do so, but pagan Rome fell to Christian Rome.

an excellent example you bring up Macavity, about the power of I Am Who Am.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Lawyered! Well said, but not precisely my point (as you may be aware). Rome's pre-Christian power and influence can be safely said to be greater.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 02:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I work for my Dog. Ask him, he'll tell ya.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

"and societies that have done the same eventually became powerful enough to smite down those that didn't."

my original statement. Christian Rome taking over pagan Rome fits that statement.

this was even predicted in the book of Daniel with the king's "statue" dream.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Arguably, that dream detailed the decaying splendour of empires subsequent to that of the dreamer.

More to the point, the factual validity of your original statement does not speak directly to that being the cause. Since said deity's incarnation made it clear, in speech and action, that power in the material sense looked for by human societies was of little interest to and led to a poor understanding of said deity.

(Man, we gotta sit down for a beer sometime, you know that, right?)

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I would consider myself an Agnostic.

I do not completely write off the possibility that a creature or being with god-like powers exists out there in the great universe. However I do not believe that any of our religion's or cults or whatnot, are even remotely close to describing such a being.
Royston

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2011 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe in the self, man's humanity towards man. I guess I'd be described as an atheist, but I don't like the term "without god" knowing that there isn't one. I prefer the term humanist, not to be confused with Humanist as organised religion and organised non-religion puts me off.

I'm not anti-religion though, in fact I find them totally and utterly fascinating, religious people too. I do however get annoyed with agnostics, I feel they should make up their minds, for or against I don't really care just decide.

And to answer the question, "how do I find meaning in my life", I am a good kind person, a great father and a loving husband and I enjoy my life. That's is meaning right there.

Post   Posted: Feb 01, 2011 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Robbie Fowler.
 Jump to: