29 coaches online • Server time: 08:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Roster Stats - Snotl...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I love people. Are you guys actively trying to make a thread about user friendliness as user unfriendly as possible? Very Happy

Stop editing in quotes into your old posts damn it! Make a new post with the quote in it. This is just getting silly. I blame Purplegoo for starting it.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, would it make sense to hide the forums from people who haven't signed in with an account? I see people pointing to forums, either here or Cyanide's, and saying that they don't want to play there because the people in the forums come across as unpleasant. It's unfair and a even a bit silly but it does happen. This doesn't mean that it's the real reason why they won't give the game a go, especially in regards of Fumbbl where the game is free.

This ties to the point Foulscumm made about the potential players, Fumbbl does seem to have acquired a bad reputation, to my own mind unfairly but I haven't been around too long, with quite a few FFB-players out there. I actually tried recommending Fumbbl to a FFB-playing friend recenty and he said that he'd read that the site was just full of jerks. This is another reason why the introduction, as in getting to play the first game, should be as easily and quickly as possible. But with the new client that's not too hard.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:

The fact is that Blood Bowl is a niche game inside a niche market with a very (read VERY) small fan base. Most likely you would never find this site unless you were specifically looking for it. The people who make up the community are actually here because they already have an interest in the game that the community is built around.

While there is some truth in this, there are also plenty of people that are still picking the game up for the first time today, either buying the box set from GW or buying the cyanide game and I think the point people are trying to make is joining this and getting started should be a simple process and many newcomers seemingly find it hard to get started. This thread was started because of a thread on TFF with many people arguing that site was hard to get to grips with.

Well I wont mention TFF simply because Pgoo specifically asked us not to do it.

And I agree, the site has issues that can be improved. For sure. Like the main theme (Root) being unintuitive and confusing. Or the fact that you have to read something that is two clicks of the mouse away. Surely we can get this down to one at lest?

Maybe we can have Christer doing a video guide to how to use the site right on the first page when you open the site? That way no one will have to read at all. And the mouse clicking will be kept down to one. just click play.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I've often wondered where this reputation comes from Ullakkomorko (it's what got me sucked into responding to a post I'd not normally bite on to begin with), since in the overall scheme of the internet, FUMBBL is so moderate. Any reason I can come up with makes me sound like a bit of a one-eyed fanboy, but the issue does certainly exist - not the truth of the site being 'full of jerks', but the Chinese whispers that get started that way and put people off before they've done any research themselves. I'm not sure hiding the forum would help much, wouldn't it make us look like more of a closed shop or clique than the minority already believe?

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %05, %2011 - %13:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 13:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The quick start needs to be simple and step by step with images!

I think it does need to be up by the time FFB goes live.
A nice big image link instead of normal menu link would help.

it would be useful if the RTFM crowd could just STFU and let someone else answer. Wink

IMO the default theme is just horrible Wink

Edit: just for a laugh tried it in IE8. It's worse than horrible. Very Happy
On the positive side the plastic-aubergine theme doesn't seem to throw javascript errors any more

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
it would be useful if the RTFM crowd could just STFU and let someone else answer. Wink

Yeah, wont happen. Internet law.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Something that should be advertised a bit more is the possibility of stand alone and test matches and how to do that. I didnt even know untill recently that you could assign skills in test matches against yourself to try out new combos and how to operate them.. i.e stab multiblock and such.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Good topic, Purple! The user guide got me on my feet (with a little effort) when I was new, way back in '04. I have found it to be well laid out since then as well when i need to look something up, so I think that's the kind of standard the site should be aiming for. There have already been some good suggestions on improvements in this thread too. I don't think FUMBBL should be aiming for an "idiot-proof" user guide, this isn't a business after all. The current standard is fine, and like Fouly says, it will be even easier without the old client.

But the guide clearly needs an overhaul for FFB, and ideally that would be ready before the 15th to retain as many newcomers as possible.

I have also found this community to be one of the friendlier around. The people doing most of the hazing should perhaps stop to consider their responses a little bit extra around the time of the FFB launch...
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to this thread I found out that you can change the look on the site! Took me a while to figure out where it could be done and couldn't find it from the User Guide but had to experiment. Wink
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I love this idea Goo. I originally came to Fumbbl in '08 and promptly left because I didn't have the time to sift through everything and such. I find the site very layout unfriendly for new players, and still am not a big fan of the layout. I know it is up to C to change that, but he has done work with customized modules that would go a long way to fixing the site layout.

As for the guide, I think we as a community could rewrite it with a group effort and make it really good.

My suggestions for layout are this:
Change the look of the site, make the main links and useful features all default on the front page. Make it cleaner. Here is a quick mockup I started to work on to revamp the site. No modules yet, but an idea. (Yes, we have no RSS, ignore that stuff.)
http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/ac285/WhatBall/?action=view&current=fummbl-reworked.jpg
I am willing to work on fixing this design with community input to make it welcoming and modern for us and new players alike.

I also agree with Freak's ideas for new players. If you come to the site and are not logged in you should not see a pile of news and such, but a big login box that has a small log in area, but is primarily a 'New to Fumbbl?' ad that will step you through all the points mentioned by Freak if you click on it.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the look of that layout! I guess, as we keep saying, this is a Big C issue; perhaps if he happens across this way he can contribute some thoughts as to if he feels something needs doing / he'd accept help.

I'd be perfectly happy to do a first draft of a streamlined 'Super quickstart for new coaches - Jan 2011' article tomorrow afternoon for coaches to critique / add to, if we can't get started on the techie stuff, this is certainly doable. Meant more as a patch until the full guide is LRB6 proof than something that will stand the test of time?
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

That's amazing Whatball. Not sure the reflection of the fumbbl icon is needed in the top left corner. I personally would like everything from the fumbbl drop down menu to be underneath the fumbbl icon on your picture as well except factions and game finder could be added there too.

Where would you put all the other links on this design like -

Create new team
All your teams
Blogs
latest matches
buddy list
Blogs
News

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I would add a second row of links under the line to cover off as many important ones as possible. Ideally everything that is of value should be one click away from the front page.

I will mock up some 'modules' to show a layout with news, teams, etc. on it and get everyone's opinions. I know C liked it overall when I showed it, but didn't like the line touching the logo for example, so that will change. If we can get a solid new layout done that C can work from with minimal effort on his part, it will be easier to sell imo. He will obviously need to approve the final design too.

Goo, great idea. Something quick from you is a million times better than the current state. We need to retain as many new people as possible with the 15 January launch.
svemole

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Remember that I looked on fumbbl many times before I joined, thinking that it looked to hard to get into. When I finally opened an account it actually was easier. Changing the first page you see into something easier to grab might be a good idea.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2011 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I personally would like everything from the fumbbl drop down menu

I would prefer not having a drop down menu as I think they're horrid.

But that does look good WhatBall Smile