15 coaches online • Server time: 07:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What next? G, S, or P only.
Guard
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Tackle
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Fend
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Kickoff Return
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Kick
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Pass
40%
 40%  [ 18 ]
Accurate
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
NoS or HMP for a gimmick (post)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Other gimmick (post)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Other non-gimmick (post)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 44

Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a thought, your first skill seems to be block on every player? Human linemen have the same stats and their rerolls are cheaper! Of course they also have proper Blitzers and Throwers once you go down that route...

Oscar Wilde
Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

They are not able to take Guard and MB on every player though. Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

1) Wait and see if you get a double. Obviously, Dodge on a double, or stat on a stat.

2) Kick. Kick wins games, and this guy wont' be on the LOS

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

y u no 11 cpomb?
Azure

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
y u no 11 cpomb?

Because it be R. He need to get games.
Roland

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

ah...
Loew

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

dafuk?

nowadays teams that are build somewhat different only get snark?
I wonder what these people would say about the darkbones or those agility dwarfs...

on topic: what about strip ball? at the moment, it's your most mobile player
Rabe

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

The Agility Monsters neither can be viewed as exploiting the TV-based match-making, nor are they really able to hurt other teams. Basically a cherry - and who would complain about that? Wink

Edit:
Haha, Loew, I just read the clarification on your location (under the forum avatar) for the first time and I love it! Also checked your profile - nice little reference there. Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

This isn't uniformly an all-Marauder team. I fired my Ogre a few games ago after playing around Loner cost me a win. I'll hire him back eventually. There may be a Troll here one day too.

Hito's words are ringing in my ears: Kick wins games. Strip Ball idea isn't bad, either. I'm not enamored of Pass, but I totally see the argument. Kickoff Return is good fun, but I'm concerned that there may not be enough applicability for a two-way player. I figure if I want a skill that moves the ball, it's gonna be something that thwarts the other guy, more than anything, and that's where I'm hung up.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It's hard to see this team as not being an all-Marauder team when it actually contains only Mauraders. Wink

Not that there's anything wrong with all-Mauraders teams, and in particular teams which are not just there to spam clawpomb.

As to the skill for that guy...

Kick is indeed a great skill, but not one I'd 'waste' on him. Just take it on some random bench maurader who comes in only when needed to kick.

Leader is a reasonable default skill when you can't think of anything else since this guy will be on the pitch all the time, and won't be scrumming it up much one assumes.

Strip ball is a nice deterrent as well, and he has the mobility to help get around edge players to use it, but on the other hand you probably want this guy to be around to try and scoop up the ball after someone else dislodges it.

I guess I'd go for Leader myself, but many other choices mentioned are certainly viable, really it depends on how you envision using this player.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I see Kick and Leader the same way. A good skill to have on the pitch. Leader may be a tad better....

I also wonder if random skills on other guys aren't more valuable. These aren't Humans, everyone can get Guard, MB, etc. Some random bench Marauder is probably getting that kind of stuff, no? Obv it's all moot if he gets stats or double.

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %09, %2013 - %17:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
lawman

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I like pass as it gives your team an added dimension and makes sense with sure hands and +AG. I can't see giving him any other skill. He seems like a ball retriever sort. Hopefully he rolls doubles and you can give him dodge.

Kick on a +AG player just seems like a mis-application. You can always give kick to a more basic player.

If you want a blitzer for defense I'd suggest actually going for some mutations. Wrestle/Tackle/Strip Ball/Horns/Two Heads.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Exploiting TV-based matchmaking? Not sure. Staying tight, how about that?

@ Licker: I meant, they're not categorically or thematically an "all-Marauder" concept, but I try to keep the renegades away because the theme is "my homonculi" and my homonculus just isn't an elf or rat, you know? I suppose I could hire a Gob or Mino, but I don't feel an overwhelming desire to do it. Ogres and Trolls fit the theme nicely, and in fact they do come and go. It's just that most recently, they went. They'll be back. "Tolerant Megastar" and "Rattlemast, An Ogre" are just too cool as names to stay away, and I just like ST5 too much. Not next game, though.

I think Strip Ball is the #3 skill for my Wrestler. Wrestle, Tackle, Strip Ball, Juggernaut or Pro, maybe Two Heads 5th (just to annoy Goo... distributing the way I do, nobody will make it to 5 skills on this team except maybe the B/MB/T/PO types, and they die young too). So Strip is out for this guy.

I'm still seriously considering Pass, Leader, Kick, and Kick-off Return, and something in the back of my head still wonders if this is the right time for a little craziness, just because this is such a staid team (at least in mechanical terms). Then again, I could save the craziness for my Guard guys, after Block and MB, and start playing Grab scrum games, which are more fun anyway, and more applicable (if less effective).

Every option has votes already... this is not clear-cut. Pass is leading in the voting, but again I'm concerned that I just won't get a ton of applicability from it, not enough to make me want it over Leader. I suppose if I'm angling any direction, it's Leader. Don't know if I wanna use it to get more RR or reduce my TV (or replace a lino with a Troll for only a net 10k): 3 is enough, but in a tough game that extra one really matters. Also think I may regret taking a skill that doesn't make my best player better on the field.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

After all these considerations, he'll roll a double anyway. Not a stat increase as that would be too good, but a double for sure.

Or he'll die the match he achieves 51+ SPP...

I really don't like the idea to put a skill that the team benefits from, but not the player on an exceptional guy like this one. On the other hand, that's why my Monsters still have no Kick and only recently got the one Grab player they need for OTS attempts... so I'm far from being an expert on that matter. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2013 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

What skills make him better?

Guard? You have enough of that, and this guy doesn't want to be in scrums.
MB? I'm not from the 'you can never have enough' camp, you have enough.
Tackle? That's a useful skill, but it doesn't always make a player better either, matchup dependent.

The guy isn't to be your primary blitzer. He seems to be your primary ball carrier. So, you need dodge. Can't get that w/o doubles. What else? There isn't a given great skill at this point (short of two heads...) so take Leader and just enjoy the extra RR, or the extra TV.

Leader is kind of the 'pass the buck' skill, but as you can take a mutation at his next level just go with two heads at that point, or big hand (blech...) if that's your direction for him.
 Jump to: